• This topic has 81 replies, 30 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by IWH.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)
  • Swear filter: Is it me, or is it getting a bit silly?
  • RudeBoy
    Free Member

I can understand the need to keep it ‘clean’, and I’m glad there’s not the juvenile stupidity of other forums, but it’s gone too far, I reckon! Perfectly good words, that are in the English dictionary, are being blocked. Gets kind of difficult to follow a psot, sometimes, as the meaning is lost because of the over-zealousness of the filter.

And I’ve noticced that some changes have happened overnight; I’ve seen posts from last night, where certain words have been replaced.

And the whole ‘yikes!’ thing is a bit stupid. Just use the ‘****’, nowt wrong with that. ‘Yikes’. It’s like something out of Bunty, ffs.

Seeing as this forum is almost entirely populated by adults, can we not have a bit of common sense? Block certain words, certainly, but stuff like H3ll, p1ssed-off, ‘dyk3’; is there a need to censor these words too?

I notice bastard and bollocks aren’t filtered. Is arse?

Come on; there are more rude words used on the Daily Fail website, ffs…

And seeing as how it’s p1ss-easy to evade the filter, anyway, is there any need for such Victorianism?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Don’t be such a whining ****.
    😉

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Ah, come on; who’s in charge of the filter? The ghost of Mary Whitehouse???

BTW; I have intended this as a sensible discussion, not a swearathon. The wonderful colourfulness and complexity of our language has space for a few ‘strong’ words, no?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GNARGNAR
    Free Member

You sir are a donkey **** shite licker. A forum that’s used almost exclusively by adults shouldnt shy away from adult language. What is the worst that can happen? The forum might descend into a place where people actually type the way most people talk????? Dear god noooo!

nickc

If it’s a place for adults, then there’s no need for swearing, no?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

RudeBoy, I think that’s one of the great things about the English language, the amazing flexibility and scope for inventive swearing.

Knobjockey.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I think there should be a list of all the words we’re not allowed to use displayed prominently, where we can all see it.
    That would simplify the whole thing.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Surely Hell isn’t censored. That would be religous censorship 🙂

Blmey! H-e-l-l is being censored. We’re going to hell in a handcart that’s for sure 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Come on, folks; don’t be silly now…

(Realises the thread will now probably descend into infantile stupidity, and actually be a hindrance to the cause of Free Speech…) 🙄

julianwilson
    Free Member

i am amazed that ‘****’ is not filtered, it gets used so much here!

what about a few more in there? Today I am thinking ‘shimano’ and ‘xtr’.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

See, I can’t actually get at what IanMunroe was trying to say, because of the filter!!! Ridiculous!

Gone too far. PPs suggestion is a good one.

Personally, I think these words are acceptable, as they have descriptive use:

B4stard
    Sh1t
    P1ss
    Dyk3
    H3ll
    ars3
    and others.

I mean, in this day and age, using words like those is hardly bloody swearing!

Can we say ‘bloody’??

bruneep

cockerel

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

julianwilson – Member
    i am amazed that ‘****’ is not filtered, it gets used so much here!

Why would it be? It’s not a word. Neither is fcuker or fuktard, or twunt, or cawk.

Now if you’ll excuse me I’m away to bagpipe the vicar,but not before I teabag yer ma and engage in a spot of docking with yer da.

andym
    Free Member

Christian Bale meets the STW swear filter:

Christian Bale: Am I going to walk around and rip your **yikes!** lights down, in the middle of a scene? Then why the **yikes!** are you walking right through? Ah-da-da-dah, like this in the background. What the **yikes!** is it with you? What don’t you **yikes!** understand? You got any **yikes!** idea about, hey, it’s **yikes!** distracting having somebody walking up behind Bryce in the middle of the **yikes!**scene? Give me a **yikes!** answer! What don’t you get about it?
    Shane Hurlbut: I was looking at the light.
    Bale: Ohhhhh, goooood for you. And how was it? I hope it was **yikes!** good, because it’s useless now, isn’t it?
    Hurlbut: OK.
    Bale: **yikes!** sake man, you’re amateur. McG, you got **yikes!** something to say to this **yikes!**?
    Director Joseph ‘McG’ McGinty Nichol: I didn’t see it happen.
    Bale: Well, somebody should be **yikes!** watching and keeping an eye on him.
    McG: Fair enough.
    Bale: It’s the second time that he doesn’t give a **yikes!** about what is going on in front of the camera, all right? I’m trying to **yikes!** do a scene here, and I am going “Why the **yikes!** is Shane walking in there? What is he doing there?” Do you understand my mind is not in the scene if you’re doing that?

etc etc

Drac

I agree whilst the word football remains uncensored the swear filter is silly.

IanMunro
    Free Member

I pity anyone trying to organise a ride starting at Devils Dyke.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

IanMunro – Member
    I pity anyone trying to organise a ride starting at Devils **yikes!**.

You mean devils ringpiece? Devils clunge?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Oh fiddlesticks. You boys should be carful with your mis-spelled nasty language or I can see Mr Moderator handing out some slapped bottoms for evading the aforementioned swear filter…..

soobalias
    Free Member

so is deliberate evasion of the swear filter still a banning offence.

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

On an altogether lighter note….my pussy and my beaver are snatching at one another.

EDIT: I meant my kitty cat, not a muff or front bum, obviously.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Generally the visitors to the forum are adults but there are no age restrictions. That freedom demands a level of self moderation from its users.

ATM, it’s like a Stalinist purge!

Come on, mods. A rethink, perhaps?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Drac, well put, sir!

Drac

Yup it is.

# No abusive or foul language – There is a swear filter on the site that will capture what we consider to be the most offensive vocabulary but any attempt to evade this swear filter will result in that post or thread being deleted.

bruneep

Oh I can see a banning coming soon for someone brave/foolish

Tom
    Free Member

Some explanation – there’s been a new swear filter installed very recently, but unfortunately currently still with the default settings. It’s not really intentional. Bear with us while we trim it down to reasonable settings. Now would probably not be a good time to come up with ways to evade the filter, which the moderators generally take a dim view of.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

All I’m asking for, is a bit of common sense. None of the words I suggested as being ok were banned before. And I don’t think there was a problem. I would use any of those words in a conversation with most people, as would maost peopl eon here, I’d imagine. I wouldn’t personally use the f and c words in conversation with people other than those I know wouldn’t be offended by them.

EG, If I was telling someone about a night out, I might say ‘ooh, I got a bit p1ssed last night’. What’s wrong with that? Hardly spouting a torrent of filth, is it?

‘Oh, I fell off me bike, landed on me ars3’. ‘Got dog-sh1t all over me tyre’.
    Etc,

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Thank you, Tom!

Good to see that things will be sensible!

I think the sort of idiots that would abuse the filter in a stupid manner, wouldn’t last long on here anyway. There are ‘other’ forums for such juvenile behaviour…

djglover
    Free Member

If I can get banned for a day for quoting blackadder, then you lot should be well out of here.! 🙄

lcj

While we’re amending the filter, please can “on-one” “tensioner” “ss frame” “what tyre?” and “CRC” be culled?

Gary_M
    Free Member

That **** ‘yikes thing is a bit of a bastard though. It’s a bit **** Famous **** Five, stupid ****. So why the **** isn’t hell allowed, is the swear filter gaurdian some sort of **** religious bastard, can we say ‘jesus’ and ‘christ’ or does the **** not **** allow that either. Oh for **** sake I give up. At least we’re allowed to type CK,TT and football now. I’m going for my **** lunch, but I need a piss first.

Oh you are allowed to say that then , so ‘****’ is allowed but ‘****’ isn’t. So I can swear at a group but not an individual – cool 😉

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

There should be no swear filter. Use of language should be at the individuals discretion. It’s a nonsense – saying “My stomach feels a little queer” is not the same as an overtly homophobic attack.

bruneep

djglover – Member

If I can get banned for a day for quoting blackadder, then you lot should be well out of here.! [:roll:]

whisper what you quoted

DezB
    Free Member

My post from last night is a case in point:

“Poorly maintained road bike bites me in the **yikes!** again!
    Any ideas how to get the bugger out?”

Good job I didn’t say the bike buggered me in the ar5e or it would’ve made no sense!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Some of those mis-spelled swear words MUST be allowed, or they wouldn’t allow names like THIS

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Bloody h3ll; have you seen that?

Bewildering…

coffeeking
    Free Member

“Poorly maintained road bike bites me in the **yikes!** again!
    Any ideas how to get the bugger out?”

Makes perfect sense to me.

I dont see the need for all the swearing or filter-avoiding methods, swearing works best when it’s used rarely and in times of exasperation. Using it the rest of the time just looks stupid and like you never left your early adolescence IMO. I’m all for the increased filter, maybe then people will realise how frequently they actually use words that could be considered offensive. I did find “TT” in the old filter a little stupid though! It we all go about using h3ll instead of the actual word, or c nut instead of ****, we might as well just write the original. And it seems c nut has been filtered too now 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

So is the guy whos profile I linked to above now called **yikes!** then?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

For the first couple of days, when this new type forum appeared, there as no swear filter. Because everybody expected it to be there, everyone exercised restraint.

Agreed, not everyone can be expected to be sensible, but it was good to see people not being idiots, and descending into abuse.

nickc – Member
    If it’s a place for adults, then there’s no need for swearing, no?

Fair point, but language can be fun, and there’s no reason it can’ be a little ‘colourful’, in the right context. Meant to be a relaxed forum.

GrahamS

H3ll, p1ssed-off, ‘dyk3’; is there a need to censor these words too?

I agree with the first two. But isn’t that last one generally about as offensive as calling person of African descent a word that rhymes with digger?

Not to say that is should be censored. We’re all big boys here. But I think saying that it is non-offensive is a stretch.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Answer – NO.
    It appears his account has been removed. I hope it’s been explained to him as to why, so he can get another log-in….

EDIT : Shut up, Peter. It’s back again.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 82 total)

The topic ‘Swear filter: Is it me, or is it getting a bit silly?’ is closed to new replies.