Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Swapping SS chain ring – do I need to change the chain & sproket as well?
  • mlbaker
    Free Member

As per the post- if I change my ratio for some SSCX action do I need to/ is it best to change the sprocket and chain?

Cheers

Duffer
    Free Member

Obviously you’ll need to lengthen / shorten the chain. Otherwise, unless it’s all knackered, i probably wouldn’t bother replacing anything other than the chainring.

It’ll soon let you know if it’s upset.

Junkyard
    Free Member

not if they are fine and dont need changing
    Unlikely the chain be the same length – ie 32 is smaller than a 34 but a doofer may take up the slack if going smaller – less teeth may need longer chain if going up – dont know i Have an ECB and have only ever run 32:16

Depends really but if neither is wor no need to replace.

dovebiker

A SS sprocket has deeper, non-ramped teeth so will run a lot smoother and wear better than simply using a cassette sprocket that will wear quicker. A SS sprocket and decent 6/7/8 speed chain will only be £10-15 and will probably last twice a long and reduced chance of breaking.

mlbaker
    Free Member

Cheers everyone; whilst the chain and sprocket look good I think I will buy a chain ring, chain and sprocket for a mighty cost of £21.47!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Swapping SS chain ring – do I need to change the chain & sproket as well?’ is closed to new replies.