Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Swapping forks between traditional/integrated frames
  • g-unit
    Free Member

Does anyone know if there are external and integrated heasets which use the same crown race, to facilitate swapping forks from two bikes? I use Orbit XL2's on 3 of my bikes, which means if I am swapping between rigid and FS forks it is a matter of minutes – the crown races are already fitted. But I am looking at the new carbon frames from on-one, the new XC whippet looks nice – but they have internal headsets.

Maybe the Orbit Z uses the same race as the XL2's?

chakaping
    Free Member

Not sure about the FSA, but Hope might be worth a look and you could probably find out with a quiock phone call.

Come back and let us know if you do. I've been thinking of doing the same myself!

nodrog2
    Free Member

hope all use the same crown race. Not sure if a hope crown race will work with FSA but have found they work pretty well with most cane creek headsets

vdubber67
    Free Member

Why not simply change the race each time? Only takes a minute surely?

Onzadog
    Free Member

I would imagine anything that uses common bearings. I think all Hope and lots of Cane Creek use 41mm x 45 degrees by 36 degree ACB so they'll have common crown races.

chakaping
    Free Member

If you do it a lot (and are hamfisted like me) you end up chipping the fork crown and deforming the race.

g-unit
    Free Member

Hope do indeed use the same race (HS120) and even better it is split so can be taken off forks in seconds. The FSA is continuous and needs a good bit of chipping and swearing, especially when your nice Foxes loose small bits of paint. I might go for the expense of Hope (great BBs and hubs, so why not the headsets as well?). But I will see if I can get in touch with FSA to confirm before I splash out on all the cash and keep my XL2's.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Swapping forks between traditional/integrated frames’ is closed to new replies.