Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Swapping forks between bikes – my conclusions
  • buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My TranceX2 came with an F120 QR fork, and a built my Boardman Team with the Tora 305 Coil 85-130 QR from the old hardtail. A friend suggested this was the wrong way around.

The F120 is uber light but a bit too wibbly for the speed of the TranceX so putting it on the Boardman should make that bike a really nippy XC machine. Conversely, the Tora is longer, stiff and chunky so should suit the TranceX. So I swapped them and have been riding both bikes to see if they should stay like this. I'd say it almost works:

The Boardman is much better with the F120. It's better balanced, nippy and you can throw it around easily. I need to trim the steerer, but otherwise it wants to be on that bike.

The TranceX is a mixed result. Weirdly, despite adding a kilo in extra weight on the nose, it seated climbs much better for it. With the F120, it was too nose light and a battle to control. Now I have been able to move the saddle back and create more room too. Downhill is less clear cut. The extra stiffness and slackness is positive. But the damping performance is shown up by the rear suspension. Several times I've nailed into rocks or roots where the fantastic rear suspension is perfectly behaved, to be nearly thrown off by the fork – it's just not active enough to keep up with the bike.

Looks like I'm in the market for a stiff but very active 140mm QR fork weighing about 2kg.

z1ppy

Bit of extra weight up front seems to help the climbing ability IME (with long travel forks), though obviously to much would be detrimental overall

GeeWavetree
    Free Member

i solved the same issue on a trance with a coil pike with uturn, and now have a TALAS 140 RLC in my trance X

markenduro
    Free Member

I'd have a bit of a play around with oil weights before going down the new fork route.

Burls72
    Free Member

Before you buy a new fork you could try giving tft a ring. As it's a coil you might be able to change the spring and type of oil to improve the performance.

br
    Free Member

While my steel 456 worked well with a pair of Fox 36's, on my 456Ti it felt too front heavy…

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I'll have a chat with Box at Bad-Ass-Bikes. He's a suspension guru. Though I expect he'll try to sell me some Recons 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Swapping forks between bikes – my conclusions’ is closed to new replies.