Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Swapping batteries between cars
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

As an emergency to get mine to the garage

Basically the battery on my boxter is completely shot. I could try to jump start it but dont trust it for the 15 min journey along the road. Could i use the battery on my seat ibiza (its the 1,8 cupra version so not that small a battery) to do the job for a short term fix?

tpbiker
    Free Member

Should add that the reason ive not bought a new battery is because the garage have agreed to look at it and replace if faulty

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes.

Batteries are basically the same. They have different current delivery (diesel needs more) and different capacities, but for a one-off it’ll work provided it fits. Small cars have small batteries for space reasons.

br
    Free Member

Or just take the old battery to the garage, using the Seat?

wwaswas

Make sure that the terminal style and position is the same on both before you start taking them out.

matttromans
    Free Member

Had very similar with my Boxster 986 recently…..If you get locked out you can connect up the donor battery to the fuse box and drivers strike plate to gain entry to the front boot, took me awhile to figure that one out! Don’t forget to get the security code for your Cupra’s stereo – I forgot….Can’t see why you can’t use the Cupra’s battery in the Boxster, but why not take the Boxsters battery in the Cupra?

spooky_b329

Jump start it, if it’s reading between 14 and 14.4v at the battery it would appear to be charging OK so should be fine to drive 15 minutes as long as you don’t stall it.

If reading under 14v then the battery is probably flat due to a charging problem and you’d want to take the spare.

Edit – and seeing as it’s been mentioned a couple of times, take the car as the battery could be fine and just flat due to alternator/earthing issue preventing it from charging.

tpbiker
    Free Member

ffs….I’m now in a rage

Matt ive tried the fuse box connection but the issue is that the alarm the goes off and prevents me from flipping the hood. Any ideas?

Ps – its the battery defo. Just replaced the alternator but obviously the battery is shot.

spooky_b329

AA/RAC member? Use it to get started and they’ll probably offer to follow you to the garage 🙂

tpbiker
    Free Member

the issue is the alarm going off and not letting me open the bonnet

alibongo001

Use the battery from the other car/jump leads on the fuse box connections to get some charge into the boxter battery, enough to be able to open the hood.

I have had this a few times on my 911. The boot/bonnet opens with an electrical switch – needs a bit of charge to work.

On a 911 the battery is in the bonnet i guess this is true for the boxter?

Once you have gained access to the battery, then leave on charge overnight or make sure you go for a good (60min) – assuming you have just left it a while since using it?

tpbiker
    Free Member

that wont work as the alarm goes off as soon as i connect the jump pack…Without switching off the alarm it wont let me flip the bonnet switch

AA came out…also at loss. Garage first thing tomorrow…

cock…

alibongo001

It does work you just have to be patient until the battery takes some charge!

I have done it about 3 times in 4 years – the alarm goes off when a little charge is present – I think it is a feature as it senses low voltage. If you persist, eventually the alarm will turn itself off – you have to open the car and put the key in the lock to help it understand that you are not stealing it!

If you have a charger and can stand the noise for a bit hook it up with the battery from the second car to reduce the time for the Porsche to take some charge. After a few mins, open the door with the key and put it in the ignition, then the alarm should turn off.

Then wait a while (30 mins) and the relay to open the bonnet should work and you can leave on charge overnight or use the other battery to jump it.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Swapping batteries between cars’ is closed to new replies.