Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Swapping arm sides on a Thule 591 Proride.
  • righog
    Free Member

I had to do this today. I thought I might be of interest to someone ?

All of the plastic bits can be removed by hand except the Arm.

The Arm is removed with the use of a 5mm Hex key the bolts will be holes marked 1 and 2.

You can then spin the base of the arm so that the arm is on the other side.

Then swap the 5 mm bolts from holes marked 1 and 2 to holes marked 3 and 4.

Then slide the arm back on to the Aluminium bar, tighten up, then replace all the other bits.

That’s it, you can have your bikes facing whichever way you want 🙂

tonyd

Have you put them on the car yet? Does one bit sit further forward than the other?

I mean the plastic bit that fits to the front roof bar – I may have done mine wrong, but because you move to holes 3 and 4 that bit sites an inch or two further forwards. Doesn’t matter too much I suppose, I’m just a bit OCD.

adyp
    Free Member

I’ve swapped 2 of mine and yep, they won’t line up! As you say it’s no big deal.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tonyd

No big deal, but a disappointing lack of thought from a company that makes such good products. My old Mont Blanc Barracudas flipped a treat, shame they were like sails and couldn’t fit a fat tyre.

righog
    Free Member

Yes they are already on the car, did not notice if they were in line, mainly because I fitted a third one in the middle pointing backward ( so the bars would not interfere with each other) this one stuck much further forward than the other two, even after playing with it, to get it as near in line as possible.

I will have a look and let you know.

honourablegeorge

tonyd – Member
    Have you put them on the car yet? Does one bit sit further forward than the other?

I mean the plastic bit that fits to the front roof bar – I may have done mine wrong, but because you move to holes 3 and 4 that bit sites an inch or two further forwards. Doesn’t matter too much I suppose, I’m just a bit OCD.

Same here. It absolutely melted my brain. Still does.

righog
    Free Member

Just checked, 40mm difference. On mine you cant tell because of the middle one. The bars and 591 double the price of the car ( without putting any bikes on) so I think they look ace !

Suggsey
    Free Member

Did this years ago on my pair of 591’s, only issue now is that my mate who uses a Marin full suss has to ring me to tell me which bike he will be using so I load mine on the correct side as his has to have fingers of the rack coming through frame from the inside. It makes it nice and easy if going up to Scotland with three bikes as the third man brings his reverse fitted 591 which sits in the middle of the two forward facing and there are no handlebars overlapping door mirrors/edges of the car.

andyl
    Free Member

it does show you how to do this in the manual 😉

and yes they will now be offset. The clamp will also not have to sit infront of your chainrings on the down tube instead of butted right up to the seat tube behind the chainrings where the frame is less likely to crush and the jaws are hidden better from someone trying to pry them open.

ie I flipped them when I first got them. Then I switched them back and now have one bike forwards and one bike backwards.

sc-xc

it does show you how to do this in the manual

I thought so, mine have always been like this – and most I see (unless I have completely misinterpreted this post!)

righog
    Free Member

it does show you how to do this in the manual

Thought it might be useful if someone bought them second hand or lost the manual.

You can see the manual in the last pic 🙂

I thought of just taking a picture of it and posting, but i was bored.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Just a word of warning to all you new to 591’s, I use either a wrap of heli tape or a wrap of old inner tube secured with two zip ties on the down tube where the clamps go as they will with mud wear away paint and anodising finish on your frames ( particularly if you drive vigorously).

righog
    Free Member

Been thinking, that Thule will have probably thought about the 40 mm offset, with two forward facing bikes, to give some space stop the bars hitting.

sam_underhill

Just a word of warning to all you new to 591’s, I use either a wrap of heli tape or a wrap of old inner tube secured with two zip ties on the down tube where the clamps go as they will with mud wear away paint and anodising finish on your frames ( particularly if you drive vigorously).

And another word of warning, that when they do jiggle about, the clamp may move far enough to make contact with your shock and damage the shaft! Perfect opportunity for a Kashima upgrade though.

I’ve now got a small piece of 15mm speedfit pipe acting as a buffer to stop the clamp butting against the shock if it moves.

tonyd

Been thinking, that Thule will have probably thought about the 40 mm offset, with two forward facing bikes, to give some space stop the bars hitting.

I think you’re being too kind 🙂

Another word of warning – make sure if you’ve mounted one carrier backwards the locking lever things that clamp the carrier to the bars is tight! We were in two cars coming back from Wales t’other week, both had a rear facing carrier, and we had to stop to do them up again. Presumably the wind had got under the lever and flipped it. I recently stopped overtightening them but think I’ll go back to that now.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Just need to resurrect this for a minute, but has anyone got a photo of how they site on the bars with the base reversed please? I’ve done this on the car and it is offset. Done a trip and it’s been fine, but would be good to know if there is a way to get the base to sit the same as the other one.

Suggestion that it is to make sure the handlebars don’t foul each other with two bikes on seems to make sense though. Would be nice to have confirmation I’ve not been a muppet.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Swapping arm sides on a Thule 591 Proride.’ is closed to new replies.