Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Swapping an X0 rear mech to a shadow/ clutch thingy
  • tymbian
    Free Member

I have an SRAM X0 9 Speed Rear Mech – Redwin ( blackbox tech ) and am thinking of changing to a Clutch type as I’m running a 1 x 9 with an 11 – 34 cassette
    one of these on offer atm on CRC
    Shimano Saint M810 Shadow 9 Speed Rear Mech

will it be compatible with my X0 shifter? Are there better options/ rear mechs or should I just get something like a Bionicon V 0.2 chain-guide to run the chain through.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

All the clutch type mechs- shimano shadow plus & SRAM type II mechs are 10 speed only, so you could have to change your cassette, shifter etc at the same time.
    9 speed shimano & SRAM aren’t interchangeable, due to different cable pull ratios.

scaredypants

I thought the SRAM mechs were supposed to be good for controlling chainslap anyway ?

(and I don’t think shifter will be compatible with either 9 or 10sp shimano, as catfish says)

tymbian
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies STEers..I was basically thinking of a shorter cage so that its tucked out of the way a bit more. I don’t or haven’t really suffered from chain slap etc up till now but I plan to do more aggressive riding ie. Snowdon this year as well as a couple of trails in Wales & the lakes etc. Didn’t really want to encounter a problem when its too late to do anything about it like when I’m halfway down a mountain. Fit and forget piece of mind has to be worth its weight in gold or not?

Suggestions? Stick with what I got + a chain-device possibly?

nosedive
    Free Member

I just did the swap you are about to do. You will need to change to levers though as 9 speed Shimano pulls a different amount of cable to the SRAM.

I love my new Saint 810 mech though. It holds the chain much better and moves quicker than the X0 9 speed I took off. Be warned though…. it is a bit of a lump compared to the X0 mech but I like the fact it is solid and a looks a bit less delicate. Saint 810 you can get in short or medium cage, I went for medium which is about the same size as a medium SRAM.

I’ve never used a clutch mech though so I can’t advise if that difference is worth it enough to spend the extra on 10 speed parts

nosedive
    Free Member

and yes, if you are looking for total reliability chain device + bash is definitely the way to go. I have a Gamut double on mine which works pretty well but the set up was a bit fiddly

tymbian
    Free Member

will a short & medium cage both do the same job regardless of cassette size?

toys19
    Free Member

I’d be interested in the mech and shifters if you do decide to swap email is my stw user name at hotmail dot com.

nosedive
    Free Member

tymbian – the length of the mech arm dictates the range of gears that the mech will cope with. the medium saint just works with my double chainring set up (36 – 22 up from, 11- 34 at the back with a chain device to take up some of the slack) but it wouldn’t cope with a triple I dont think.

I am not sure but I think the short cage would only really be suitable for a single ring set up.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Swapping an X0 rear mech to a shadow/ clutch thingy’ is closed to new replies.