Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Swapping a Santa Cruz Chameleon for a Cotic Soul, would you? Advice please…
  • Stuey01
    Free Member

I currently have a Santa Cruz Chameleon for do everything mountain bike duties. Mostly mincing around the Surrey hills and trips to South Wales trail centres. I am no xc whippet, nor am I a DH fiend. I just ride my mountain bike around the woods, prefer the downs to the ups, occasionally jump off (small) stuff.

It is a medium size (I am 5’9″).
    It’s built up with:
    QR Rev coil u-turns
    Fulcrum red metal 5 wheels
    Hope mono M4 brakes
    SLX drivetrain (2×9)
    90mm stem

A hardtail is all I need/can be bothered to maintain.

I have a hankering to swap out the frame for a Cotic Soul medium frame (slightly longer top tube then the Cham). I’d like it to be a bit better climbing, capable of an XC race/offroad duathlon duties, and I feel like the Cham might be a fraction small.
    Also considered a Kona Kula with 100mm forks, but I think that will be too XCish for my tastes.

Would you?

If so, why? or if you wouldn’t, why not?

Thanks in advance…

Stu.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I would swap YOUR Chameleon for a Cotic, not mine. Maybe for a Prince Albert.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I would, but I don’t need to, as I already own a Soda a Simple and a BFe.

You could say I have a bit of a thing for Cotics…

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    SamB
    Free Member

I did – moved from a 16″ Chameleon to a 16(?)” Soul.

Much preferred the Soul – the longer top tube felt lots more roomy (and more comfortable for me – I’m 5’10”), and you gain a lot of bump compliance moving away from the Chameleon’s box seatstays.

I’m now running the soul with Fox36s, 50mm stem, 2.5″ tyres and it is a hoot.

Chameleon:

Soul:

munchiepumps
    Free Member

I would, my ridding habits sound similar to yours and having tried loads of hardtails my Cotic Soul is mint!!!

Although I am now looking at getting one of the Ragley Baggers just to have fun and scare myself on.

rob2
    Free Member

I have both and I prefer the Chameleon really.

It’s more fun – I think due to the shorter wheelbase.

The soul is better for long rides though but only because of the slightly stretched position.

I’ve also had a kula – fantastic bike. Regret selling it. Good deals on frames at the mo too

All good choices.

stevede
    Free Member

I don’t have any experience of the chameleon but i love my Soul, coming from a Five i’m certainly having more fun on the Soul, takes everything, do a bit of everything on mine from dh tracks to xc loops. Not overly light but very capable built up with u turn pikes, wide bars, short stem, double and bash, 521/pro 2’s.
    The lengthy top tube allows you to run a short stem without feeling too cramped too.
    Go for it!

Stuey01
    Free Member

Rob2, that’s interesting. The Cham is certainly fun. I just sometimes find it a bit compromised for longer days, more xc type stuff.

If you could only have one which would you say is the better all rounder?

RealMan
    Free Member

a 16″ Chameleon…… I’m 5’10”

5’7 or 5’8 here, riding an 18″ chameleon…

OP, you want it to climb better? Stick a slightly longer stem on, 100mm, 110mm, something like that. Wind the forks down. Then pedal.

Mine climbs fantastically with the forks down. 100mm stem.

rob2
    Free Member

Stuey – if I could only have one then I would go for the soul, cham, kula in that order. But they are all good. The kula I had was mental for xc work but you don’t have the option of a longer fork like you do with the others.

The soul rides better the faster you go, they really are as good as the hype and yo won’t be disappointed!

I love bikes 😀

SaxonRider

I haven’t ridden either, but have always coveted a Chameleon. If you are looking for someone to give yours to, I call ‘dibs’.

Stuey01
    Free Member

I haven’t ridden either, but have always coveted a Chameleon. If you are looking for someone to give yours to, I call ‘dibs’.

Ha, I won’t be giving it to anyone, but if I do decide to go for a Soul then the Chameleon will be on the classifieds on here.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’ve owned both. For long all day rides, the Cotic easily. Much roomier and comfier. Never thought there would be that much difference between steel and an alloy frame…

For general chucking around etc, the Chameleon would edge it but a Soul with 140mm forks, short stem, wide bars and the seat down is an excellent little thing.

What about a BFe? Only £300 at the moment and maybe a good halfway house between a Chameleon and a Soul?

Stuey01
    Free Member

The Bfe is a nice price, but I think the Soul is more my speed. Besides the geo is the same as the Soul and I’m not about to run super long forks on it so it’d just be lugging around extra weight really.

brakes
    Free Member

my old Chameleon

my Soul

I liked the Chameleon a lot, but a few all-day rides on it made me dislike it as it was too harsh
    The Soul is much better for all day rides, is perfect for the singletrack woodsy riding that I mostly do (Surrey Hills) and pretty stable through fast rough stuff
    I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the switch

samuri
    Free Member

I’d have both myself. I’d never get rid of my chameleon though, that bike is just too awesome for words. It’s not an all dayer bike though, that’s for sure.

Northwind

Sounds like it’s a good swap for you. Both legendary frames really so it’s just a case of what suits.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Swapping a Santa Cruz Chameleon for a Cotic Soul, would you? Advice please…’ is closed to new replies.