Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Swap 9spd XT/XTR for 10spd XT?
  • Goldigger
    Free Member

I have the following 9spd components on my 2009 Anthem
    XTR 970 shifters
    XT 11-32 cassette
    XTR chain
    XT 770 triple crankset 24/32/42
    XT 772 rear derailleur
    XT 770 front derailleur
    XT 785 disc brakes f/r

I have a box of XT 10 SPD that I took off my Orange 5 when I upgraded to M8000.
    11×36 cassette, 22/32/42 chainset.

Personally I’ve found the XTR 970 shifters absolutely brilliant. Smooth and precise shifting.
    I’m reluctant to change it just because of the shifters..but I’m getting a bit of what I can only assume is chain slip, peddle hard in the middle chainring and smallest sprocket and every now and then I get a click/clunk from the sprocket/chain/derailleur.
    I think it’s down to the rear derailleur being 7 years old.

So if I keep it, I’m looking at £40 for another rear derailleur. XTR 9 SPD chains are unavailable but assume £20 for a new chain. I have a spare XT cassette..

If I change all I need is a new front derailleur, £17.

What would the STW do?

Goldigger
    Free Member

Anyone?

andyl
    Free Member

is the jump not due to cassette wear? have you measured the chains to gauge the remaining life?

Your existing chainset sounds like 10 speed already as it’s 24-32-42. 9 speed M770 XT was 22-32-44.

A 9 speed FD works fine with 10 speed but the cage is not quite optimal. There will normally be a “10” after the model number on the inside of the cage to designate 10 speed.

You dont need a 9 speed XTR chain. A KMC or other will do. I’ve got a collection of brand new KMC X9 chains here as I have now ditched 9 speed before using them.

Personally I would flog the lot and go 1×11, but as I have just built up a 29er with 3×10 to be my distance bike I understand why people still like 3x gearing (my other two “fun” bikes are now XT/XTR 1×11).

Goldigger
    Free Member

Just checked the crankset..it is a 9spd M770 XT like I said but 22/32/44
    I like the 3×9 on the anthem as it’s my XC bike.. I use the 44 chainring a lot on the flats..lots of bridle ways and lanes.

The front derailleur on the anthem is top pull, and the XT 10 speed off the 5 is direct mount.

The chain isn’t that old, but no I haven’t measured it.. it only does that click/clink when it’s on the 11T sprocket..

andyl
    Free Member

sounds like the end stop might not be right or the 11T needs replacing (can buy them separate for a few £).

By keep the FD I mean 9 speed FD will work fine with a 10 speed shifter. Only thing that can be different is the cage shape for the 10 speed 24-32-42 rings compared to the 9 speed 22-32-44 but by the sounds of it you might have 10 speed rings on already.

andyl
    Free Member

9 speed chainrings work fine with 10 speed and vice versa. Just don’t mix on the same chainset without checking the shift ramps are in the right place.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Swap 9spd XT/XTR for 10spd XT?’ is closed to new replies.