Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Swans having a bad year generally?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

There are three nesting pairs on the stretch of canal that forms part of my commute. In previous years they’ve produced broods of between seven and nine cygnets. This year, one pair have one cygnet and the other two have two each. Is this is a general trend or are you chaps seeing healthier results?

It’s sad to see such small numbers. Perhaps mink or other predators have taken some young?

welshfarmer

Mink, badgers, rats, raptors, feral cats, foxes. You name it, the predator species are on the increase at the moment. Ground nesting birds, hedgehogs, small rodents, all in dramatic decline. Cause and effect.

Man, as top predator, has traditionally always persecuted other predators as they are a threat (perceived or otherwise) to our own success. However, a more urban based population has, in recent years, seen fit to upset this balance and we are now seeing the results. All IMHO of course 🙂

wwaswas

raptors

a more urban based population has, in recent years, seen fit to upset this balance

that’s right, blame the hipsters!

😉

MoreCashThanDash

I’m not sure about swans specifically, ducks, coots and moorhens round our way OK.

In principle, welshfarmer has a point. Man has affected the natural balance for thousands of years one way or another. Recent things like reintroducing raptors will change the current balance.

kraftyone
    Free Member

One pair on my commute – started with 7 cygnets, down to two now.

wonnyj
    Free Member

Ah good, not a thread about football, just checking

DezB
    Free Member

Ah good, not a thread about Michael Gira, just checking

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

To be fair, welshfarmer is spot on. Britain has long ceased to be an ecosystem in balance, it became one managed by humans hundreds and hundreds of years ago.

rascal
    Free Member

Ah good, not a thread about football, just checking

🙂
    We finished 8th with our record points haul so a bloody good year (Just for wonny j) 😉

tomd
    Free Member

The spring / early summer up in the East of Scotland has been pretty rank, not sure about wherever you are. Lots of cold, windy weather lasting right into June which can’t the situation. I would guess water temperatures and food availability are lower a result. It’s only been the last week that stuff has started properly growing in our garden and all the flying bugs have really come out.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Saw loads on the grand union canal last weekend and there’s a group of 7 on our local canal.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Mink, badgers, rats, raptors, feral cats, foxes.

And East Europeans according to my newspaper :

Johnny Foreigner has no respect for Her Majesty’s birds.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Swans having a bad year generally?’ is closed to new replies.