Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • swallow tattoo – what do they symbolise?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

someone once told me it meant you had been in prison?true?

does it make a difference if there on your neck or hand etc…

let me know what you think….

scaredypants

Does it mean you, err "swallow" ?

I guess that'd be popular in prisons

trailmonkey

they symbolise a complete lack of taste or an appreciation of ironic bad taste

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    clunker

In the old days is meant you were a sailor.

devs
    Free Member

I've only ever seen them on girls hips or arses. I have no opinions on them whatsoever.

tomzo
    Free Member

Swallow tattoos are just that; tattoos of the swallow bird. Reading about it, they are the traditional tattoos of birds that are commonly seen on people.
    The swallows are an old sailor's tattoo. Sailors got them for proof of the Navy and trust. I'm getting one on my hand next week. Sailors also got mum and dad with an anchor behind it.
    Long ago, a sailor would get a swallow tattoo after successfully sailing a certain amount of miles (obviously a great deal of miles, but I'm not sure exactly how many).
    Actually, all swallows return home to San Juan Capistrano every year. So the tattoos were used to say that you will always come home. They are a sign of loyalty, pride to both regions and people.
    It is said in an old superstition, that when you see a swallow for the first time in a new year it is an omen of wealth. You're supposed to rub the money in your wallet while watching the bird, in order to ensure wealth in the future.
    Sailors would have a swallow tattoo put on their chest after completing 5,000 sea miles and one on the other side after completing 10,000 sea miles. Many sailors still get authentic Naval tattoos.
    Here is the origin of the swallow tattoo: there was a ship named the swallow, the men had a mutiny and the original seven mutineers had swallows tattooed on them so that they could identify each other. Out of this two things happened: 1. People got swallows tattooed on them and lied about being one of the original seven; and 2. The authorities heard of this identification and searched for the seven sailors who got swallows to throw them off the right trail. Since then sailors have gotten swallows for every 5,000 nautical miles, one on each side of their chest, when they would retire they would hang a string between the two birds and hang women's underwear and stuff.
    The traditional tattoo means: A sailor gets a set of swallows on his chest. The story goes if he or she drowns; the swallows come down and lift his soul to the heavens.
    Sailors would get swallows after sailing all seven seas. If they had one, they saved a man's life. It's a sign of trust, honor, dignity and respect. Nowadays, they mean nothing more than some random tattoo that someone gets that has no meaning behind it.
    I've always heard that the swallows are a mark for sailing around the horns (the bottom of South America and Africa) or for crossing the Equator, both longitude and latitude.
    Okay; the swallow is a tattoo that a sailor gets after traveling 5,000 nautical miles at sea, but the reason behind it is that a swallow is the "first sign that land is near". To a sailor the swallow means a "safe return home". Swallows are known to travel far distances out to sea during migration and would rest on boats close to shore which gave early mariners the first sign that land was indeed close by. The horizon is 12 miles from a boater's standpoint in the ocean (more if higher up) and swallows fly further then 12 miles out. The swallow is also known as a sparrow and was worn by the famous pirate "Jack Sparrows".
    The swallows traditionally mean 5,000 miles for the first and 10,000 miles for the second. When I got mine done, in honor of my grandfather, I was warned by the tattoo artist to be aware that, in terms of jail house tattoos, the bluebirds, swallows or sparrows can also stand for white supremacy or white power.
    I am surprised that no one has commented on the connection that swallow tattoos have to rock and roll or music in general. I have always connected the swallows with a love, respect and appreciation for music. Much like the swallows always returning to San Juan, their home. I've always thought the tattoo represented always being home when you're within the music.
    I've always associated swallow tattoos with loyalty and fidelity – swallows choose a mate for life and will only nest with that bird and no other. Also they carry a message of hope, when sailors saw a swallow they knew that land was near.
    I actually wondered about this myself, and by chance a homeless person in London approached me, wanting to sell "the big issue" (a magazine). He had two swallows tattooed on his neck, so I asked him the meaning, and he said; "It's kind of rude" and he whispered it to me, because my girl was with me and he was a gentleman. He said it meant "Live long and live hard".
    I always thought that two swallows seen paired together symbolized freedom.
    I heard that the swallow/sparrow tattoos are to commemorate a fallen friend or family member. I would assume any persona that the bird has i.e., devil horns, angel halo or even a knife through it would depict the dead person's personality or trait.
    It just means that they were a "Hard Man" back in their day. Everyone that I have ever met with a swallow tattoo has been at least a bit psychotic.
    A swallow tattoo used to be worn by sailors back in the day. When you were out/lost at sea and you saw a swallow you knew you were close to land because these birds are never far from shore. They would follow the birds to safety or to home. I think the idea is that when you had the swallow marked on your body it would always help you find your way home.
    They indicate that you've gone to prison and done your 'bird'.
    From what I've heard and researched, swallows on the back of the hands are supposed to give you faster hands, such as in a fight or at work. These tattoos are much more common in Great Britain. I've never heard of them meaning racism or white supremacy before.
    In Scotland it usually signifies a spell in the infamous Bar-L or Barlinnie prison in Glasgow.
    I grew up in a bad area in Australia and a grandfather of a friend of mine came from England. He was a very hard man and the whole family was very tough and underworld related. I remember being a kid in their house when the grandfather was there and I asked him what his tattoos meant. He looked down on me with a hard face and said in a thick English accent (they moved to Australia in the 70's) "It means I can walk into any pub and put my hands on the bar and if anyone would want to fight, then I would fight them". He was a big guy and I had heard rumors of him tearing people apart. So I guess that they kind of mean courage, strength and loyalty. Oh yeah he was also a "Teddy Boy" in England, but I am not so sure what that is.
    The swallow tattoo in England means "these fists fly". It's mainly seen on old guys now who used to be good fighters or well know hard men back in the day of the Krays, etc. Now younger people get them because they think they're tough. But the bright new ink used nowadays doesn't give the same look as the original tattoo.
    I had a few tattoo artists tell me that sailors would get one bird tattooed on themselves after crossing the equator and the other when they came back.
    My Dad has a swallow tattoo on his hand. When asked about it, he said he got it when he was 13 because it was the cheapest in the shop!
    Swallow tattoos on a man's hands and neck originated in British prisons from the term 'jail-bird'. It simply means you have been to prison and served your 'bird'.
    Freedom.
    The swallow tattoo on the hand symbolizes that you're a swinger.

tomzo
    Free Member

this made me laugh:

In Great Britain, the swallow tattoo on your hands means you've earned your 'wings' in a UK prison, i.e. you have been inititated into male-male sex rituals. Because of this it has also now become a popular design for gay celebrities such as Boy George, Mark Almond etc.

odannyboy
    Free Member

well all i can say tomzo is all the "types" of guy ive seen with swallow tattoo's were nothing like boy george and if i had asked " so are you gay then?"… i dont think it would have been a kiss on the cheek id have been reciveing… 😯

tankslapper
    Free Member

Tomzo

I'm getting one on my hand next week.

The swallow tattoo on the hand symbolizes that you're a swinger.

ton! Ton! TON!
    😯

ton

where i am from, if you have them on your hands it means you are a pikey……

CheesybeanZ

i had my swollow tattoo about 30 years ago , never been to prison ,never had sex with a man , never been a salior …is it to late for a refund 😀

Northwind

Up here it's definately "Served time at the pleasure of Her Majesty".

roper
    Free Member

i had my swollow tattoo about 30 years ago , never been to prison ,never had sex with a man , never been a salior ..

There's still time. 😀

( ahem..not that I'm offering any of them or anything..cough..anyways.. what was I doing….?)

jon1973
    Free Member

Up here it's definately "Served time at the pleasure of Her Majesty".

If you have a swallow tattoo on your hand, it would at least it would save time in an interview trying to explain those 'gaps' in your CV.

dontdropthesoap
    Free Member

My grandad had swallow tattoos, and was in the navy in ww2. don't know what they meant, but because he had them, I will always respect them, awesome bloke. nuff said.

roper
    Free Member

what if you get Swift tats?

singlespeedstu

CheesybeanZ – Member
    never had sex with a man , never been a salior .

Sheldon has told me different. 😉

stratobiker
    Free Member

Holy no shit Tomzo………..

Best response ever….
    To the power of rad sick!!!!
    Wow! blown away….
    Post on dude (while I go read it again).

Chapeau….
    Do you write for a living? I think you should.
    SB 🙂

jon1973
    Free Member

what if you get Swift tats?

HOtel MOtel

djglover
    Free Member

Nice cut and paste

CheesybeanZ

Sheldon has told me different

the wok smuggler has just asked me to spend the night with him 😯

singlespeedstu

he wok smuggler has just asked me to spend the night with him

Me too. Perhaps he wants spitroasting. 😯

CheesybeanZ

Me too. Perhaps he wants spitroasting

he can have a jalfrezi and like it or lump it 😆

Pieface

And do tear drops really mean you've killed someone?

odannyboy
    Free Member

there to much swinging related stuff going on around here of late…

(goes to put gloves on to cover his swallows whilst trimming down the pampas grass in the front garden..)

eldridge
    Free Member

the swallow represents a sheep

just like other forms of self-mutilation

jackal
    Free Member

I just thought it meant you were a hard old b*stard, at least it is with all the people round here with 'em, along with tears tattoed down your cheek (which i thought was a sign of doing some time)…

tomzo
    Free Member

It was a massive cut and paste…

Spongebob
    Free Member

swallow tattoo – what do they symbolise?

That you're a cock? 😉

Sorry, tattoos might be cool at the moment while you are young and trendy, but when they are faded and you are old, you will regret it.

twohats
    Free Member

Sorry, tattoos might be cool at the moment while you are young and trendy, but when they are faded and you are old, you will regret it.

I'm quite sure that a faded old tattoo is the the least of your regrets when you're old…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

For people in prison they do tend to have swallow tattoos and it symbolises something like served 5 years!
    same with tear drop tattoos in prison context they are supposed to symbolise you've killed someone! but hey anyone can have any tattoo! So probably all rubbish!

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘swallow tattoo – what do they symbolise?’ is closed to new replies.