Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Swaledale – ride suggestions?
  • RustySpanner

Currently sat in the Kings Head Pub in Gunnerside, Swaledale after a cracking ride – Gunnersdale Gill and old Gang Beck.
    Did Cam High Road and West Cam Road from Hawes yesterday – superb descent down the Pennine Way on the way back into Hawes.

Any other recommendations for rides in the area, otherwise we're just picking random rides from the guidebook.

We're here all week, weather looks like it's picking up, so all suggestions welcome.

The Daleside 'Summer Blonde' ale is on top form if you're driving past BTW.

boxelder

Fremington Edge out of Reeth.
    here

taka
    Free Member

ask deejay

MrGreedy

If you haven't already, get yourself to the Dales bike centre just outside Reeth – Stu is a legend and knows everything there is to know about biking in Swaledale, and the cake is ace too.

RustySpanner

Thanks for the tips folks – have been to see Stu this morning, can particularly recommend the chocolate brownies (and the bacon butties)!

Just looking for as many suggestions as possible, any 'must do' classics etc.

Think we might have a ride over to Tan Hill for a lofty pint tomorrow.

Farmers Arms in Muker does great food, ate there last night. Any other decent pub suggestions for the hungry traveller?

Dalesman
    Free Member

Rusty Spanner

Hope todays ride went well for you.

What about from Usha Gap east along Dubbin Garth Lane – Low Houses – up taking the slightly SE BW – along road towards Robson House- onto Whitaside moor – Apedale Head – Dents Houses – Greets Top then down road for a little – across Hurst Ridge – SW up road for about 1 km down to Cogden Hall – Dales Bike Centre for Coffee/cake – Low lane on the south side of the river back up to Gunnerside. If your looking for more take the road to Ivelet then on to Crackpot Hall and Keld, lastly nice climb over Kisdon Hill down into Farmers Arms for beer and grub.

And when you call in I'll show you the ride up to Tan Hill

Have a good'un

Stu @ Dales Bike Centre

zokes
    Free Member

Any other decent pub suggestions for the hungry traveller?

Kings Head in Reeth does immense yorkshire puds, and much more besides. It also does exceptionally good beer, and if the weather's like it was when we were there in May, the huge fire will be most welcome.

+1 for coffee and cake at Stu's Dales MTB centre too, or even stay over there – great value and great breakfast 🙂

MrGreedy

zokes, I'm impressed you can remember what the food was like, my recollection of the pubs of Reeth is somewhat hazy!

zokes
    Free Member

Ah, but I was sober(ish) when eating, so the memory sticks. I am after all somewhat greedier than your STW moniker! After the food, however, I vaguely remember we eventually ended up on whisky, and that's where it all fades out….

We should do it again sometime soon!

MrGreedy

Amen to that! I still haven't got round to doing that skills course either. Might have a word with the big G this weekend and see how we are for brownie points

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Swaledale – ride suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.