Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Swaledale – BW From Tan Hill to Gunnerside
  • Evesie
    Free Member

Looking at planning a pedal across the BW from Tan Hill – West Moor – Punchard Moor – Melbecks Moor – Gunnerside. Can't find that much info' on what the going is like. Anyone been across recently? Does it exist on the ground – particularly across West Moor. The Gunnerside end looks like it exists on the ground – at least from Google Earth! Any other hints & tips on where to go & not go appreciated as I'm staying in Keld for a few days next week.
    Cheers

madeinyorkshire
    Free Member

The section that is not visible the ground on is from Tan Hill to william Gill, from there south east across Annaside edge and west moor is easier to follow. South from Great Punchard Gill to Little Puchard and down to the BW crossing at the old gang mines is a bit of a bog in wet weather (ie NOW ).
    Compass or GPS will get you across the Tan Hill – william Gill section ,good luck.

ton

what he say's…………..cos me and him got lost for a while doing the exact same route………. 😆

come to think of it, we may have done it more than once and got lost on both occasions.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I've been lost there as well. Not 'lost' as in 'help, we're lost' but lost as in 'where the **** is the f***ing bas***d bridleway', lost.
    Don't bother, do another Swaledale route instead, there's loads of MILES better ones.

tinribz
    Free Member

Heh, same here. Was up there about three weeks ago, there is not even a sheep trail to follow.

I zigzagged the non existant 'bridleway' with gps for about 3 or 4 miles carring my bike above heather till I hit a narrow path.

There were other non existant sections later on too.

The bridleway to Tan Hill was not too shabby though, few grass sections but easy to follow.

ton

to be fair, i have done it from gunnerside up to tan hill, in the dry, and without getting lost……………it is awesome

the section from the arrow to the left is not visible at all on the ground. and the left turn is very easy to miss too.
    http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x=391887&y=505855&z=120&sv=391887,505855&st=4&ar=y&mapp=map.srf&searchp=ids.srf&dn=698&ax=391887&ay=505855&lm=0

unsponsored
    Free Member

I have a gps log of my mates journey on that section. It zigs zags on and off for most of the way. The track is hard to follow and disappears at times. He had an epic as a result.

tinribz
    Free Member

I would honestly think about taking the road and heading back across because the path to that arrow is either non existant or unridable. Or allow plenty of time.

Anyone else get a creepy feeling up there?

Lots of mine shafts too.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49960717@N08/

ton

tinribz, the path from gunnerside to the arrow is the easiest part to follow, the kilometer from the arrow towards tan hill is where the track vanishes.

tinribz
    Free Member

Agreed, sounds like I was doing it the opposite way to you, I came up from Keld way clock-wise. Seems like more than a kilometer when you are feeling lost and rationing water.

footflaps

You can just head South on the penine way and ten follow the BW to Rampsholme bridge nr Muker and follow the road as it contours East to Ivelet and then Gunnerside. Not a bad route with some ok descents (although now gated in places).

Pook

this'll give you a clue after rain…
    http://www.vimeo.com/7545843
    😯

Evesie
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, you have really scared Mrs Evesie now. TBH, I was only considering it as a solo mission without her – this is definately sense of humour failure territory, proper remote stuff Take a look at Pooks video – it's good.
    What are your favorite routes in the area?

tinribz
    Free Member

There is another more established circuler just below, usually starting at Castle Bolton.

http://technagen.com/Downloads/BoltonCastleRoute.pdf

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Swaledale – BW From Tan Hill to Gunnerside’ is closed to new replies.