Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Swaledale
  • rondo101
    Free Member

Travelling up from Bristol to visit my Dad in Darlington over Easter & Swaledale doesn’t look too far from him. Worth taking the bikes? Any recommended routes?

godzilla
    Free Member

Deffo take the bikes, go Here , dont worry about routes just ask when you get there, they will sort you out as some routes are better than others in certain weather.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Yes, the real questions is whether its worth spending any real time with your father, or just riding. also what he said ^^^^

godzilla
    Free Member

And lock your bikes up good and proper in Darlo.

torihada
    Free Member

If you don’t know the routes in Swaledale don’t bother; head for Hammersterly trail centre (its 20 min drive from Darlo). There’s been some nice all weather building on the red trail and if you link it up with the black it makes for a good ride.

Red & Black @ Hamsterley

wolly
    Free Member

i’d defiantly get up to Swaledale, just been for a potter about up there this morning the sky’s blue and everything’s starting to dry out. As Godzilla said pop in and see Stu for route advice

fatgit
    Free Member

Hi
    Me and Deejay live in Darlo. There’s a decent chance we’ll be up At Reeth sometime over Easter.
    We could show you some of the good stuff.
    Email in profile
    Cheers
    Steve

martinhutch

I can confirm the Dales Bike Centre has very nice cake. And that Hamsterley is rubbish in comparison.

miketually
    Free Member

Hamsterley’s closer than Swaledale and posibly better if you just want a quick blast. But Swaledale’s far, far better/epic-er.

If you go to Swaledale, you have to ride over Great Pinseat; it’s the law.

Inbred on Great Pinseat, Swaledale by miketually, on Flickr

I’d echo the advice about going to see Stu at Dales Bike Centre, for route guidance and cake. And the advice about locking your bike up well and out of sight in Darlington – I’m sure we’re the bike theft capital of the UK or something.

belugabob
    Free Member

+1 for Stu at the Dales Bike Centre.
    Ask for the route that goes up Fremington Edge & then crosses over to Great Pinseat before doing the brilliant run down the gill to Surrender bridge then back via Healaugh.

rondo101
    Free Member

Cheers all for the advice. Weather may end up dictating our choice, but would like to give the dales a go if possible.

Fatgit – will probably drop you an email closer to the time. Local knowledge > my map reading skills any day.

allmountainventure
    Free Member

Look up Richard at Swaledale Outdoors http://www.swaledaleoutdoors.co.uk/

He does a lot of biking and trail running and has a map room and a kettle at the shop. Pop in for tea and a chat. Also on Facebook.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Get permission off God before you go to Swaledale as it’s his land. Great Pinseat is actually called ‘The Moon’, for obvious reasons.
    I can’t believe someone’s told you you go to Hamsterley rather than Swaleydale.

godzilla
    Free Member

I can’t believe someone’s told you you go to Hamsterley rather than Swaleydale Swaledale.

+1

rondo101
    Free Member

Bristol has escaped the snowpocalypse (it’s just grey & cold), so I’ve only got BBC news’s endless snow updates to go on, but I’m guessing the Dales will be covered in a fairly thick blanket of snow?

Moses

Just buy a fatbike on your way up, & you’ll be fine.
    But I’m interested in news of the weather thataway, too. Is there still lying snow in the N Pennines?

MadBillMcMad

It’s yorkshire – whatever the weather it’ll be perfect.

Swaledale is an absolute must – It’s the nearest thing to biking on the moon you’ll ever get.

Moses

Here is a Swaledale Webcam

miketually
    Free Member

No snow laying at all in Darlington. But, here’s a thirty foot snow drift in Weardale: http://instagram.com/p/XUVXARrMa5/

martinhutch

****! I used to live in Teesdale but I reckon I got off quite lightly weatherwise the years I was there…

smogmonster

Swaledale is full of deep drifts at the moment…i really wouldnt bother right now. Hamsterley is hopeless (IMHO), with the exception of the recent bits of trail they added (Transmission et al)..normally really muddy, and frankly dull. Lots of fireroad and clag. Just my opinion though. Other opinions are available.

mt
    Free Member

Swaledale is not full of deep drifts! It has plenty of snow but there are good rides to be had. As many above have said, get into Dales Bike Centre talk to Stu. Have fun but bring warm clothes.

smogmonster

MT is that right? I got precisely nowhere yesterday when i tried to get the mtb out..and the roads werent much better..has it cleared up? The hills certainly dont look any clearer than yesterday to me. I hope im wrong mind as im going stir crazy with this crappy weather 😉

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Swaledale’ is closed to new replies.