Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • SW19
  • teamhurtmore
    Free Member

No thread yet.

Heather Watson in an epic at the moment

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Plucky *insert British tennis player* goes out after a valiant 3 sets to love nail-biter…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Hope not

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Heather Isner v Annika Mahut 😉

scuttler

HD9.

Not much happening here at the mo. Postman’s been, binmen have been, not rained yet so washing out. Lunch overdue though.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

British women tennis players really are dung.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Apparently the LTA spaffed millions on making sure that women’s tennis would be improved. I’d ask for a refund.

footflaps

Plucky *insert British tennis player* goes out after a valiant 3 sets to love nail-biter…

Yep, watched Kyle Evans give up on Monday, he was barely trying by the end.

ransos
    Free Member

You missed Konta getting to the SF of the Australian open?

We have one exceptionally good man, and one pretty good woman. Beyond that, there’s very little.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

COME ON, TIM!

(Well, someone had to!)

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

Gone are the days when Tiger Tim stood astride the tennis world like a Persil hawking colossus.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Oh dear – back to galant loser

Time for some Hungarian or Aussie to become a GB citizen perhaps? That will show ’em

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Dan Evans having a crack now though against #30 seed

ransos
    Free Member

I was watching the highlights of Willis v Federer. The guy has talent to burn, so how did he end up with a 700+ ranking? Mind you, he looks about a stone overweight.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ah, Konta….

I remember big Jack Charlton picking anyone who’d kissed the blarney for ROI and getting awful stick for it.

Tennis, rugby and cricket have made big Jackie look like an amateur at it.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

you probably wouldn’t be saying that if you were on the other side of the net from them.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No, I probably wouldn’t, but don’t really see what your point is, other than some extreme whataboutery.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I am saying that they do have a lot of talent but this country doesn’t have the tennis infrastructure that a lot of other countries have, so the pool of talent being fed towards the top is pretty small.

Womens tennis as a whole generally looks poor on TV, but if you go courtside to watch the level of effort these girls put in it is very impressive.

Considering the number of people involved in football in this country the levels of international acheivement is a lot worse, especially looking at the recent England result.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Facilities is an age old excuse. Brazil at football, Kenya at long distance running, Jamaica at sprinting etc etc. All disprove that myth.

My local tennis club is a fantastic facility, way better than any football facility for miles, still never produced anyone of note.

Anyway, I’m not arguing, the amount of money the LTA has expended over they years has not paid dividends, results show that.

bongohoohaa
    Free Member

I blame all these foreigners. Coming over here, stealing all out trophies.

Voting out will fix that tho.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Ooft! That drop shot from Dimitrov was ridiculously good!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Facilities is an age old excuse. Brazil at football, Kenya at long distance running, Jamaica at sprinting etc etc. All disprove that myth.

so you are saying that there are not a lot of people playing football in Brazil, or a lot of runners in Kenya (doesn’t that also have something to do with the environment/muscular makeup?)

infrastructure doesn’t just mean facilities – it means a lot of other players of strong abilities to compete against.

Andy Murray went to Spain to further his tennis, didn’t he?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

anyway, I’m not arguing

You missed this bit.

Back to the point of the thread, don’t want to derail a good old Wimbers thread.

ransos
    Free Member

My local tennis club is a fantastic facility, way better than any football facility for miles, still never produced anyone of note.

How much does it cost to play there?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Not sure about kids, but my membership is 19 quid a month. Outside courts are free (brand new tour standard hard courts) and indoors is 12 quid an hour.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fantastic match up between cibulkova and radwanska atm. Some tremendous ground strokes from both.

theotherjonv

This Murray bloke’s a bit useful. Is he British? 😉

mechanicaldope

Not for much longer…

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

That men’s wheelchair final was absolutely brilliant, so pleased for both of the British lads at the end, they look like right good mates too. Alfie Hewitt, at 19, a Wimbledon champion. Cap well and truly doffed.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Well played Andy.

A cut above Milos for the moment

And a nice little pitch to CMD for a “leaving” honour !!!!

jambalaya
    Free Member

🙂

Murray just too good today. I wonder what the back story is to his emotional reaction, expected to win and did ?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘SW19’ is closed to new replies.