Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • SW of Hereford, riding, stuff to do and pub/grub recomendations please.
  • midlifecrashes

Half term approaches, and me and the family are booked into a cottage near Allensmore, about 5 miles SW of Hereford, off the A465. Never been to this part of the world before. Can anyone point me at decent riding locally, and good spots for food and beer. Looking at streetmap I can’t see many bridleways about. A nice link to a route in the Black Mountains would be nice, or maybe I should have a crack at The Gap? Cheers.

molgrips
    Free Member

Black Mountains ftw.

Tal y Maes climb aka The Hermitage is epic, and finishes with a choice of three great mountain descents.

zangolin
    Free Member

I live about 3 miles from Allensmore!
    Not sure what sort of riding you are looking for?
    There is plenty of local XC singletrack in Haugh Woods + West Wood although you will never find the majority of it as non of it is marked! You have the Forest of Dean about 25mins down the road epic singletrack + lots of DH stuff. Also the Malverns a similar distance away. Plus all the Brecon stuff.
    Drop me an email if you need more info – being a teacher I’m around for the half term also – although the wifes has got me down for wallpapering on the first couple of days!
    We also have a top BMX track if that’s you thing.

BigTed
    Free Member

I’m also in Hereford so could help out with the Haugh Woods/West Woods ride.

smiffy

You’re in the shadow of the Black Mountains; shouldn’t be hard to amuse yourself!

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

AS SMIFFY SAID! if it stays unseasonably dry have a go at the black mountains killer loop

i rode the gap saturday and twas great and amazingly dry for the time of year.

or you could do one of smiffys blorenge/blaenavon rides!

Ride the Gap from talybont on usk as much less driving from there.

I wouldnt drop into the Walnut Tree near abergavenny in your MTB gear mind for food.

What’s your food budget – fancy or honest pub grub?

midlifecrashes

Ta for that, Never visited Brecons or Black Mountains, and MTB-Wales has had a revamp but not put the routes back up yet. I’ve just been on the Wayback machine and dug out a pdf of the killer route. Looks like quite a big day out, especially if wet. I’ll pick up the OS maps in town tomorrow and have a better look. Food wise, I’ll have three kids in tow so maybe not the Walnut Tree this time. Should manage to get a day to myself for riding, and a couple of hours here and there, so will have at least one biggish ride in.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘SW of Hereford, riding, stuff to do and pub/grub recomendations please.’ is closed to new replies.