Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • SUV(4 x 4?) hire in US – Grand Cherokee, Toyota Highlander or Nissan Pathfinder?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Power’s no good if you’re beached!

davidjones15
    Free Member

What sort of skilled driver gets themselves beached in the first place? 😀

v8ninety

Power stops you getting beached bud. if you use it appropriately. Momentum solves a lot of problems off road.

molgrips
    Free Member

You are talking to an MTBer remember!

v8ninety

molgrips – Member
    You are talking to an MTBer remember!

hoho, me too, funnily enough. Plus, I may have one or two trophies in my closet for off road trials… 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

This has moved from a vehicle’s capabilities to willy waving.

Regardless of how good you are geometry can still hinder you.

But who the hell cares, the OP isn’t going that deeply off-road I am sure.

nedrapier

Is it me, or has this all got a bit “I overtake armoured-up guys on full sussers doing the black on my rigid singlepeed” 🙂

My “Let’s Off-Road!” skill level is a constant here. Either I’m awesome or I’m not, but that doesn’t really matter. Well groomed dirt tracks might be all we get onto, but all I want is to choose the vee-hickle that’s least likely to have me ****ed in the middle of nowhere with an exasperated wife telling me she told me so, or spinning round and adding 100 miles.

Which is why I swapped from the Mustang Convertible Or Similar to the Grand Cherokee Or Similar. They might not be not true off-roaders, but they’re the best of what’s available.

Sounds like the three have all got helpful options that might or might not be available (or identifiable?) on the actual cars on the lot, so I may as well have a walk up and down the line and get the one that looks the least tired and shabby. With a possible preference for the Jeep, or the one that’s got a low ratio box.

That about right?

nedrapier

ha! mol beat me to it by 11 seconds!

molgrips
    Free Member

all I want is to choose the vee-hickle that’s least likely to have me ****ed in the middle of nowhere

You shouldn’t be anywhere close to a situation where you could get stuck, really, unless you’re really properly prepared for off-roading and have backup. Having gone from driving merrily along to ‘oh shit we are actually properly in the middle of nowhere and am I going to make it up this’ in a few seconds, I wouldn’t do it again so lightly.

IMO you’re most likley to be stranded by breaking down, which is a good reason to choose Toyota over Jeep 🙂

v8ninety

This has moved from a vehicle’s capabilities to willy waving.

haha, true. Sorry. It’s my inner TJ.

Regardless of how good you are geometry can still hinder you.

Obviously, but my point was that its far from the whole story, even notwithstanding driver skill. Eg; swb frontera vs land 110 v8. I know where my money is. Again apologies for the thread diversion, there are just people on here that always like to be right, no matter what (and on this occasion I’m guilty as charged).

OP, get the Jeep for sure. You’re going to America right? That way it’s an authentic part of the experience, like pancakes for breakfast and apple pie. All three will be more than up to the job you describe. He’ll, the mustang probably would be, seeing as its not your car…

molgrips
    Free Member

So if you were an American coming to the UK, you’d drive what? A Crappy old Corsa? You’re a tourist, not an extra in a film 🙂

Don’t praise shit cars just because they’re American. They don’t deserve it! We’re not talking about classic 70s Chevys here, just bland modern SUVs.

v8ninety

Who said anything about shit cars? The OP is talking about a grand Cherokee, which is as capable and comfortable (if not more so) as any of the others.

sweaman2
    Free Member

I think you’ve about got it.

As before – I would go for the Jeep just based on usability but molgrips would avoid based on reliability. For me the Pathfinder is too big unless you need the space and the highlander is more soft roader. I suspect they will all be fine for what you are intending.

monogramman
    Free Member

Molgrips am I correct in thinking it is you who owns a prius?

Op I’m a self confessed jeep fan boy as I own a grand cherokee and it has been faultless from new. If I was going to the states a jeep would be my choice. I would however probably go for a wrangler though

v8ninety

Molgrips am I correct in thinking it is you who owns a prius?

I was going to say that but it seemed like too low a blow… 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

It is me who owns a Prius yes. What’s more I am not ashamed of it, I see no reason to be. Others may taunt but I know they’re just dishing out playground level insults so I don’t care. If it helps, I also wear glasses and I’m bald 🙂

And I am not being entirely serious about Jeeps, but some of the older ones are quite shite. Terribly unreliable anecdotally (my cousin’s one was in the garage so often it was unusable as a family car), and I think the original Cherokee was the only car to ever score 0 stars on the NCAP test wasn’t it?

Having been in many American cars I have come to dislike many of the common traits I have noticed.

nickjb
    Free Member

So if you were an American coming to the UK, you’d drive what? A Crappy old Corsa?

Not exactly, but doing a UK road trip in a Morgan/London Taxi/Classic Jag would add to the experience. Get the Jeep!

nedrapier

I also wear glasses and I’m bald

high five! 🙂

Last north american road trip was in this beasty and it was awesome. a 1975 Buick Century 5.7 litre V8. $750 Canadian, back when it was $2.25 : £1.

10,000 trouble free miles, and plenty of dirt tracks and forestry roads. So, feeling better when I think about that. But, as I said, I just don’t want to be looking at a hump or a rut in the track stopping us from seeing something amazing, when a different car would have got us through.

RIP Babs. (there was trouble at the end of the 10K! Nothing a new rad woudn’t have fixed, but we were short of time resources.)

molgrips
    Free Member

Not exactly, but doing a UK road trip in a Morgan/London Taxi/Classic Jag

You can’t seriously compare a classic British motor to a bland suburban SUV surely? Not even remotely in the same category!

zokes
    Free Member

Just don’t take the jeep anywhere near any sand. Seems thre are consistently big issues with the 4wd that they’ve not yet worked out how to fix. It apparently throws a transmission error message, reverts to rwd, then promptly bogs. Chrysler are yet to officially respond down here

And as I said before. The same skilled driver will get further safer in a better car. The pathy is a shrunken poor mans version of a navarra, which is a vehicle I drive regularly for work, and is also totally pants

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘SUV(4 x 4?) hire in US – Grand Cherokee, Toyota Highlander or Nissan Pathfinder?’ is closed to new replies.