Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Suunto traverse or ambit watches
  • matthewmountain
    Free Member

Has anybody got a suunto traverse or ambit watch?

I want a running /sports GPS watch which will tell me my pace for each mile and distance, download to strava and is compatible with a HR strap.

I also want the watch to give me a grid reference on demand, to help with navigation when mountain running.

I also want the altimeter function for the mountains.

Are there any other watches I should consider?

Thanks

beano68
    Free Member

Ive been using the Sunnto Ambit for many years now and its taken a battering, great watch and very functional, currently got the Ambit2 but will be getting the Sunnto Spartan soon as I’d like a newer watch with more features plus it has bluetooth just for the ease for uploading rides.

Also has a built in HR monitor if you need that type of function so no need for the chest monitor.

petec
    Free Member

i have the wiggle ‘exclusive’ ambit3 vertical.

it’s very good, logs well (running, kayaking etc). Followed the route on it in dense mist off Great Gable. Pretty good, but big!

The app on iphones was good, the one on android was less good until a recent release. Uploads pretty quickly to Strava etc. i use my wahoo hr belt with it, rather than the suunto one (just because i prefer the strap…). Black and white, and no touch screen, but not a problem; i’d prefer something that worked over flaky bells and whistles (hence the wahoo!). But buy a sapphire glass for it off Amazon. It is so big it catches on everything.

Don’t pay full price; i paid £200 i think. Even cheaper now, but no HR monitor.

swanny853

I have a traverse. Use it for running, MTB and occasionally walking (the hills down here don’t feel big enough to call it hiking)- mostly just recording but occasionally for navigation as well. I have a garmin edge 510 for comparison if that helps but never used one of their watches.

Largely it just works to be honest. A lot of things just feel that bit more finished than the garmin. Menus and things seem ‘cleaner’ somehow.

App syncing seems comparable to my Garmin and that app, seems to vary depending on the app version, firmware version, android version, if I have a new phone, phase of the moon, how the local football team did on saturday, your guess is as good as mine! On both devices sometimes it takes them a while in the same room to sync, others it’s near instantaneous.

Navigation is about what you’d expect from a small screen and a breadcrumb trail- perfectly useable but no OS map! No different to my garmin 510 really. I believe it can do lat long but never tried OS grid ref, can have a look if you want?

swanny853

Oh, and I also have the HR belt, I don’t use it much- I’ve largely gone off them in general as I don’t look at the data and don’t find them particularly comfortable regardless of brand.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

matthewmountain, check out my for sale section 😉

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Suunto traverse or ambit watches’ is closed to new replies.