Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Suunto Ambit 2R v Garmin FR220
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Any experiences with either of these? I know DCRainmaker does in depth reviews, which I have looked at, but I was wondering about some other day-to-day experiences.

It’s for running, both trail and road. I’m not after HR, although I appreciate they both have that option.

mikey74
    Free Member

Bump!!

torsoinalake
    Free Member

If its just for GPS and not HR and all the other fancy stuff, surely you can go for something cheaper?

I have a Fenix 2, which I really like. Doesn’t help you much though.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

I have the Sunnto Ambit 2, great bit of hardware.

I use it for trail running and it gives me all the info I need and I have customised the screens to show me the data I want.

I have not tried any type of navigation with it.

The biggest downside, and for me this is massive, is that to get the data off the watch you have to connect the watch to your PC/laptop via a proprietary cable, use their SW, and the PC/laptop has to be connected to the internet. Then it uploads everything to their Movecount site where you can then get access to it. This might be an issue if you want to get your data via a works computer (lunchtime run, working away), where installing of non standard software is restricted.

This is unlike Garmin devices which can be seen as normal USB drives when connected to a PC/laptop and the data exported accordingly.

djglover
    Free Member

I have the ambit 2, which was the top of the range one. And a garmin 405 or something like that. sunnto is missing some tech you would expect these days like Bluetooth so you can upload to strava via your phone. It’s not as user friendly as a garmin, but has more useful features. If I wanted a simple watch for everyday running it’s a garmin 220, if I want route finding and long battery life it’s a suunto.

I suspect you will be better of with the garmin

youngrob

I have an Ambit2 which is great for running. I did use it on the bike but it’s hard to see when riding so now use a Garmin 810. I like having the HR info as I can see when to push on and when to ease off despite how I’m feeling. It is expensive but I don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

mikey74
    Free Member

Define “other fancy stuff”? I want three parameters on the screen: The cheaper FRs only do two, as far as I know. I also like the barometric altimeter on the Suunto, which the Garmin doesn’t have, although it’s probably not essential.

Other than that, I’m open. I don’t need it for way-finding, so that isn’t a consideration.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The altitude gain/loss is quite useful if trail running, its something I like to know, especially when running longer distances in new areas.

StuF

I’ve got the 220, it’s great for running, does all I need it to – pace, time distance, hr. you can set it up do ‘training’ so you can preload your interval sets and it will beep at you and tell you when you need to change or you can set to tell you when you go outside of a particular pace or hr.

The best bit is that it connects over bluetooth to my phone so I don’t need to get he pc out to sync it.

It pics up gps pretty quickly – loads quicker than my wife’s FR10.

The only bad bit is that it always syncs as a run so if I’ve used it on the bike I have to go and alter it, probably annoys a few kom strava runners after I’ve been down a bit on a bike and forgotten to switch back to a bike.

No idea how it compares to the suunto.

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

The best bit is that it connects over bluetooth to my phone so I don’t need to get he pc out to sync it.

This is killer functionality in the newer devices that makes me want to upgrade.

mikey74
    Free Member

I’m not bothered about Bluetooth. In fact, I rarely upload any of my runs these days, although that may be partly down to the poor charging/connection clamp that my current FR210 utilises.

CraigW
    Free Member

I recently got a Forerunner 220, I’m happy with it. Previously I had a Forerunner 110, but the battery was getting worn out.

It is fairly simple, seems similar to the 110 – main thing for me is displaying time/distance/pace/heart rate. It can do intervals, though I’ve not tried that yet. It is pretty quick to find GPS, much better than my previous watch.

It doesn’t have barometric altimeter, but it can still get elevation from GPS, and show that on the screen. This may be not as accurate, but still useful.

As Swedish Chef says, one of the good things is it works as a standard USB mass storage device. The connector is a lot less fiddly than the 110.
    So you can just plug it into the PC, and copy activities off. This works fine without an internet connection, and without installing any software.

Gibbysrabbit
    Free Member

I’ve had the 220 for 8 months & really like it.

The bluetooth upload is really good, just set it beside your phone & it syncs, can also be set to auto sync with Strava. 30 seconds after you’ve finished its all sorted with no cables/computers.
    I’ve used the Altitude in the hills and found it accurate enough – haven’t found any drawbacks with it yet.
    Also like the vibrate alerts, can’t stand things beeping at me!
    Battery life of 10 hours is good but this is one thing I think the Ambit does better.
    The Forerunner is smaller & lower profile.

Bit annoying the price has dropped since I got it due to the 225 release, the optical HRM on the 225 is a nice new feature (no need for straps).

mikey74
    Free Member

One thing about the Suunto is it appears to have a similar charging clamp system to the Garmin 210, which is the main reason I want to replace it. Has anyone had any problems with this on the Suunto?

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

No problems with the clamp on my Suunto, had it since they released them, so about two years now I guess.

GregMay
    Free Member

the optical HRM on the 225 is a nice new feature (no need for straps).

If, and a big if, you have the right sort of wrist to work with it – I don’t, too small and narrow so I get light leakage which fouls the sensor. Also, if your effected by changes in temp and blood flow (think cold hands on warm days) anything that estimates HR based on capillary flow is a bad idea for you.

(puts science hat away)

mogrim

One thing about the Suunto is it appears to have a similar charging clamp system to the Garmin 210, which is the main reason I want to replace it. Has anyone had any problems with this on the Suunto?

It’s similar, but sufficiently different to be much, much easier to use – I used to have the 210 and it was a real PITA, whereas my Suuntu 2S is fine. Although Bluetooth upload would of course be better!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Suunto Ambit 2R v Garmin FR220’ is closed to new replies.