Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Sustrans route Perth, Inverness, Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth
  • karlp
    Free Member

Thinking of doing above in May.
    It’s a combination of routes not a single route.
    Has anyone done?
    Very interested to hear feedback, hints & tips etc.
    Already done some of it with the Glasgow to Inverness route so know that is lovely.

Thx in advance.
    Karl.

karlp
    Free Member

Bump for the evening shift.

downhillfast
    Free Member

I’ve done parts of it separately, namely the Formatine & Buchan way north of Aberdeen, and most of the sections from nairn-forres-elgin.
    In the main it’s well signposted and tarmac or decent gravel track.
    From Inverness along and down to Aberdeen should be relatively easy with regards to climbing.

jimmy

I’ve done Inverness to Perth and Inverness to Dundee. Both great for different reasons – not much in the way of tips other than look at distillery stops!

Feel free to Email me if you have questions – its all touring and therefore great is all I can think right now.

mr_stru

Have you ever driven up the A9 and seen cyclists grovelling into the wind and rain in that bleak section between Pitlochry and Dalwhinnie and thought “that looks like not much fun”? Well, you were right. I did that in the opposite direction last July in grim weather and there was some questioning of life choices. It’s probably lovely in the sun.

Also the cycle path wasn’t in very good nick in places and certainly not something I’d want to being doing on a proper road bike. Was fine with 35c tyres.

The bit round Aviemore was lovely though.

Dundee to Perth is quite pleasant, although someone at Sustrans has a sense of humour given it takes you up a 20% hill in the last section. Some lovely views just after that though.

dufresneorama
    Free Member

Done the Dundee to Perth bit quite a few times, it’s pleasant enough apart from the aforementioned Kinnoul hill climb and as the rest is flat, can be a nightmare in a headwind. Avoid this stretch on a Sunday morning though as Errol car boot sale traffic make it interesting. Very nice from Perth up to Pitlochry though,following the Tay. Never went further up than that. All well signed and good condition. You could get up to before Pitlochry then head along to Aberfeldy and South Road along Loch Tay to Killin then jump on the ncn to Glasgow.

irc

The Gaick Pass is a nice alternate to the Drumochter section of the A9. Assuming your bike is up to it. I found it fine on a rigid bike with 26×2 semi slick tyres on a Glasgow to Inverness tour. A tourer with 700x35s or bigger would probably do it Ok.

Numerous guides to the Gaick online. For example

http://www.mtbtrails.info/Trail_Venue.aspx?VenueNumber=106

CraigW
    Free Member

I think its a bit boring, alongside the A9 much of the way.
    An alternative route is via Braemar, ie over Glenshee, the Lecht and Dava. Its all on road, but not too busy. And some proper hills.

jimmy

I think its a bit boring, alongside the A9 much of the way

I’d agree with that… But… When we did it going south we had a hefty tailwind and spent most of the day at about 30mph being boosted along in sunny showers. Was fun but not for the surroundings.

eastcoastmike
    Free Member

In Aberdeen, the bit that goes along past the harbour round past Greyhope bay is blocked currently, you need to turn up St Fitticks Road

karlp
    Free Member

All thx for the info.
    Pretty much as I expected I.e. touring in Scotland is lovely.
    For info we’ll be light touring on road bikes.

I’ve done the Pitlochry to Dalwhinnie section before & recall it being lovely (away from road, great views) only downside was no food at the distillery!!!

Karl.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Sustrans route Perth, Inverness, Aberdeen, Dundee, Perth’ is closed to new replies.