Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Sussmybike
  • imnotverygood

This has just gone live on Kickstarter. Looks interesting if a little pricey. (I’ve no connection to the project)

& http://singletrackworld.com/2015/11/sussmybike-quantifies-suspension-performance/

tomhoward

Looks very similar to the dusty dynamics widget, except this one looks like it works with coil shocks

bikeneil
    Free Member

£135 for a plastic box and some string? I’m out.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Looks interesting. I assume the £135 includes to software to generate the recommendations.

There are a couple of levels up from the £135 but I can’t see what extra that gets you.

Is anyone involved in this a regular in here?

z1ppy

bikeneil – Member
    £135 for a plastic box and some string? I’m out

Assuming they’ve not updated the video, I think it look great, LBS’s (or riding clubs/groups) should buy one & use it to help customers set up their bikes.. Everyone wins!

legend
    Free Member

Home telemetry to get my geek on? Wouldn’t mind some of that.

In other news, really fancy riding at Dunkeld now

tomhoward

There are a couple of levels up from the £135 but I can’t see what extra that gets you.

Nothing. The cheapest is super early bird, middle is ‘I missed the early bird, but still got in before it went to full price’ most expensive is full rrp

Onzadog
    Free Member

It would be interested sting to see a comparison between this and the shockwiz. The shockwiz looks my sealed from UK trail conditions but sussmybike can be used in coil systems.

I’d certainly like to see/hear more about just how much information you get and how useable that info is. Is it just a broad brush system or can you really drill down into it and get super geeky?

Is the little box of tricks just measuring string position and speed or does it also measure trail input through the fork leg? If so, you’d have to make sure you fitted it the right way around on the shock.

If so, that would make it superior to the shockwiz if it relates sprung and unsprung parts of the system. Looking at the shockwiz, it only sees air pressure and possibly forces at the fork crown.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Thanks tomhoward, never looked at kickstarter before. Doesn’t look to be a massive saving over rrp. Wonder if o might be better to stand back and wait for some reviews.

Odd that someone has backed it already at the higher price then.

Euro
    Free Member

BS’s (or riding clubs/groups) should buy one & use it to help customers set up their bikes.

I’m in no way a suspension expert but that’s the only use for it as far as i can see, and even then it’s a bit of a gimmick. I don’t get how it would be any use to anyone not riding the same short piece of trail over and over again.

Happy to be proved wrong if anyone can shed some light on how it works in the real world.

hammyuk
    Free Member

So basically someone has made a telemetry device for cycles.
    My 10R has it through the Motec 800 ECU fitted along with the potentiometers (don’t even ask how much…).
    My guess is the string is replacing the pots and measuring speed/travel and with the right formula calculating the compression/rebound.
    Simple really.

tomhoward

Odd that someone has backed it already at the higher price then.

They might REALLY believe in the product (and invested more than the stated amount).

The thing that would put me off about this one, over the shockwiz, is that it’s totally external, so it has no connection to what’s actually going on in the fork to make it do what it’s doing, if you see what I mean? Yes the shock wiz requires calibration, but surely that leads to more accuracy, especially if you start changing volume spacers? Happy to be told I’m wrong?

That and I assume you are knackered if you snag the string on something?

Onzadog
    Free Member

It also depends on the recoil speed on the string. Should you ever see that go slack, you know it’s not doing the job.

Euro
    Free Member

My guess is the string is replacing the pots and measuring speed/travel and with the right formula calculating the compression/rebound.
    Simple really.

I think i understand how the device works but can’t see how that translates into useful data. It’s not as if it’s linked to active suspension.

My very limited knowledge of suspension is in motorbikes and setting up suspension for an entire relatively smooth racetrack is impossible. There’s always a compromise and racers generally set the suspension to suit the faster parts of the track as that’s where time is gained or lost. This means that sometimes it’ll handle like a dog at other parts of the track.

So lets take an imaginary mtb trail; one that starts off slow and lumpy but opens out into fast swoopy then into fast lumpy with some drops and jumps before going uphill a bit then down some really steep stuff. Your average bicycle suspension wont be working optimally for all (if any) of that trail. This device will record a lot of data going down the trail, but then what? Recommending adding more this or less that might only suit small parts of the trail and these adjustments will probably make other parts of the trail worse. Does it average out the data and give you a compromise setting that cover the entire trail? That’s a bit rubbish – I’d prefer my suspension to be set to work best when i need it most. Then what happens if you go to a another trail? Do you have to do it all again? Or it’s wet and you’re only out for a bimble, your fast ‘n’ dry settings aren’t much good then.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Exactly why I’m wondering if it can record input as well as output. Then I can see what it’s doing when the input is greatest.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Exactly Euro – UNTIL suspension becomes active then all of these devices, setups, etc are a compromise.
    The M800 I have only tells you whats going on – it doesn’t tell you what to do or do it for you.
    Well it will IF you have active units to connect to it but so far only BMW and Ducati have gone down that road.
    Although Kawasaki have the latest 10R capable of running an active Ohlins rear via an ECU reflash.

tomhoward

Does it average out the data and give you a compromise setting that cover the entire trail? I’d prefer my suspension to be set to work best when i need it most.

I think so, though if you wanted it optimised for say, drops, you’d use it when you were sessioning drops, then leave those settings on all the time?

legend
    Free Member

Of course Strava figures in the video several times, could link the box to GPS which you could then graph against the trail being used. That would give you the when/where info needed

Euro
    Free Member

I think so, though if you wanted it optimised for say, drops, you’d use it when you were sessioning drops, then leave those settings on all the time?

I was thinking more the fast rough stuff as that’s the terrain that scares me 😀 but even something like a ‘drop’ setting wouldn’t really work even for drops. I’ve ridden small drops that were harsh and much bigger ones that were fairly smooth and plenty in between. No wanting to knock the product at all, just can’t see it’s use.

imnotverygood

But it seems to me that you lot are suggesting there is no point in optimising your suspension tune…

Onzadog
    Free Member

You’re looking to optimise your compromise.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Sussmybike’ is closed to new replies.