Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Suspicious transaction – "Western Union online"
  • stuartie_c
    Free Member

Anyone had cause to contact their bank over a suspicious-looking transaction?

One has appeared on my account with the reference "Wester Union onlin" (sic) for a not-inconsiderable sum. I'm pretty sure it's bogus as I haven't ever used Western Union to transfer money to anyone. However, I've got a niggling doubt that it might be kosher as I'm going through a re-mortgage/buy-to-let thing which is more complex than the large hadron collider so it may be one of the astonishing fees related to this. However I don't recognise the amount and the reference means nothing (and, despite the appearance of being clueless, I have kept good track of all the fees…). I've asked the bank to investigate with a view to having it declared fraudulent.

Anyone else had a similar transaction suddenly appear? Was it bogus? What happened?

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Western Union is the tool of scammers- I'd contact the bank asap!

Kahurangi

Get it blocked. Phone them NOW.

Western Union is used by scams a lot.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    iDave
    Free Member

your buy to let thing – is the property in Abuja?

CountZero

I'm trying to get something through craigslist in the States, and Western Union is one of the things they tell users to avoid due to scams. I think the poor spelling should give you a good clue, like the recent HSBC and Alliance & Leicester online account emails I've had recently. The spelling mistakes, plus the fact I've never had any kind of account with either made it obvious their scams. You're being shafted; get it sorted pronto.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

your buy to let thing – is the property in Abuja?

Fort William – just as dodgy 😉

Bank are on to it already. Worries me a bit – I thought I was pretty careful with online spending…

retro83
    Free Member

Bank are on to it already. Worries me a bit – I thought I was pretty careful with online spending…

Not necessarily anything you could've done to prevent it though (other than not shopping with a card!), could be a dodgy employee at one of the shops or maybe a rooted server sending your details onto a scammer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Suspicious transaction – "Western Union online"’ is closed to new replies.