Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Suspicious car noise- any suggestions?
  • Northwind

My car’s developed an annoying noise, I’ve got an idea what it is but just looking for other ideas…

’55 plate mondeo (2.2 diesel estate) with 110000 miles on it. When turning significantly right, there’s a high pitched, regular squeak from the front left, once per wheel revolution. Sounds exactly like a squealing brake. Only ever does it when turning right, and since it only does it with a reasonable amount of lock on it only does it at lower speeds.

It doesn’t do it any other time, brakes make no funny noises or virations in operation (discs and pads are fairly recent).

Soooo… It’s a mondeo and it may have a slightly wobbly wheel, therefore wheel bearing? There’s no droning/whining noise as I’ve had on previous wheel bearings, and I can’t feel any play in the wheel when it’s off the ground…

I had a root around and nothing looks or feels obviously out of sorts- but I’m not ruling out the bearing based on that as I couldn’t feel anything wrong with my Focus’s one either and it was properly dead.

jam-bo

Trapped mouse.

maccruiskeen
    scaredypants

I believe it’s usually a duck somewhere in the engine bay

(bah, too slow , as usual)

matt_outandabout

Check that a wheel lining or similar is not contacting tyre/disc etc?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Cv joint perhaps ?

maccruiskeen

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbNxugO-uf0[/video]

fizzicist
    Free Member

Sounds like a brake shield rubbing on a Car bomb pipe or similar. Could well be a bearing

Only way is to jack it up, shove full lock on and spin the wheel round whilst you have a look.

ktmblag
    Free Member

+1 cv joints

nealglover
    Free Member

Split CV boot has caused the CV joint to dry out and it’s now buggered ?

Marge
    Free Member

Does it still do it if you keep a light pressure applied to the brake pedal?

GaVgAs
    Free Member

It could be the back plate between the disc and hub carrier rubbing, or a stone between the pads/disc, try using the brakes lightly and see if the noise changes.

Northwind

I’ll try that Marge/GaVgAs, good thinking!

Doesn’t do it when just spinning the wheel, seems to need the side load as well, so haven’t been able to replicate it on a jack. Which is annoying!

CV boot isn’t split but ‘course that doesn’t mean it’s not knackered… May give it a closer poke. Though, it’s not the noise I’d expect, it’s definately a once-per-turn thing, other ropey CVs I’ve heard were more clicky and intermittant

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Suspicious car noise- any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.