• This topic has 19 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by gumbo.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Suspicious 2nd hand bike, RAD floatX?
  • johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Hi all, I’ve just popped down one of the local shops for a browse and come across a rather odd bike for sale. It’s a black Giant trance with some strange spec. It looks like a middlish of the road trance with fox32 evos on it but has what looks like a brand new set of hope x2s, brand new renthal bar and stem and most strangely a fox float x with RAD stickers on it The shock didnt appear to show any traces of dust or dirt from use. Maybe they just cleaned it well?

Now what seems strange to me is that the shop is selling this for £1150, and from knowing how said shop is run that means they will have payed roughly half of that for it. I asked why the previous owner sold it to them and I was told it was because they were skint. That shock cant be any more than 12 months old and didn’t come with the bike, they cost £530 before rad tuning which I thought cost a few hundred quid? They brakes are all tricked out in red, top caps and lever etc… Which costs money and would usually only be done if you are really finishing a bike, nothing else was red.

Ignoring that fact that the shock is a bit extravagant compared to parts of the build surely a genuine owner would have broken it down and flogged it knowing the value of various parts?

Any one else thinks it all sounds a bit odd?

This is in the Devon area.

John

wiggles
    Free Member

A bike shop or a cash converters type place?

If the latter def stolen

euans2
    Free Member

I didnt think the general public were allowed into the RAD program

nickewen
    Free Member

As above, depends where it is but certainly sounds nicked

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Ignore

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

It is in a bike shop but without being mean, it’s not the sort of place where proper bikers go. They sell lots of kids bikes and stuff and lots of seconds. They do take trade ins and buy stuff aswell. If you are local to Devon you will know where I mean.

ferrit
    Free Member

RAD program is for racers – sponsored athletes. Racing Applications Development program. As euans2 points out, this shouldn’t be in the general public space at all. Avoid.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Im not looking to buy, only went in there on the off chance they had some half decent grips. Ahh so not just me being super suspicious then!

dbcooper
    Free Member

Is this near the hospital on a T junction with railings? Dodgy place indeed.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Surely Trago Mills scenario surely!?

singlesteed
    Free Member

Plus its a giant – theres the depreciatimg factor.

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

Nope but is has had TV adverts. Exeter area.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Snow and rock??

ajantom

I’m guessing Partridge Cycles. They do have some weird second hand bikes in occasionally, but I doubt they’d knowingly buy stolen goods.

zero-cool
    Free Member

If it’s Partridge cycles they’ve have all sorts of random things in over the years in random specs. Often they have had in ex-rep and demo bikes. They’ve also been known to swap spec on second hand bikes around.

Maybe the seller just stuck on some RAD stickers. I’ve known people do the same with TF Tuned and PUSH stickers.

Tom KP

johnnyboy666
    Free Member

I wouldn’t suggest for one second that they would knowingly buy something dodgy, they have been around far too long to be doing stuff like that. However, if it were me buying it for the store at the prices we are talking about, I would be very suspicious. Push stickers on an old fork or shock are one thing but cant see why anyone would put rad stickers on an already very expensive shock. But who knows I guess.

singlesteed
    Free Member

Blimey! 😮

dbcooper
    Free Member

Sorry Partridge Cycles are not into anything dodgy, in any way.

plyphon
    Free Member

Buy it, post pictures here, ride it, let us know if you get arrested or beaten up.

OP will surely deliver.

gumbo
    Free Member

Any one else thinks it all sounds a bit odd?

funny post from an ex member of staff who had no credence

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Suspicious 2nd hand bike, RAD floatX?’ is closed to new replies.