Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • suspension v rigid
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

Any takers to convince me to stick with suspension or is it mostly rigid fans reading this thread? The credit card is nearly out of the wallet…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Pause on the credit card, strip the forks and put sand in them, bolt them back together and go for a spin to try it out 🙂

stilltortoise
    Free Member

lol I think there’s some sand in there already!

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jfeb
    Free Member

On the “pro suspension” side, if funds allowed I would get suspension forks for my rigid bike (but would keep the rigids just for a change now and then)

jaycmx1
    Free Member

ive just got a rigid ss and just bought some second hand on one carbon forks for 85 quid.hardly been used apparently.there for my 29er but ive recently read on here of some one that couldnt sell there carbon forks.i would try post a wanted in the classifieds.second hand you probably wont loose if you dont like it and want to get rid.thats my thinking anyway

epicyclo

A decent carbon fork and a fatter tyre are as good as cheap suspension in my opinion, and much lighter.

I ride rigid these days. I came to the conclusion that suspension is only an advantage on balls out downhills. Elsewhere you pay for the weight.

I did some experimenting for the ‘Puffer – I tried the big descent as fast as I dared on suspension and then at a slightly more controlled pace on my rigid. There was only a one minute difference. (None of the other descents really needed suspension).

I reckoned I saved much more than that minute on all the long climbs because the rigid bike was lighter.

Mind you, I’m not all that fast anyway, but you might like to try your own experiment 😀

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Just received my White Brothers Rock Solid fork. It looks ace! Yep, went the rigid route. Will let you know my thoughts when fitted…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Woo, keep us posted. And photos too!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

My wife and father-in-law – neither of them cyclists – both commented on how light it was. It seems not that long ago that I was getting excited about suspension and now look at me!

coffeeking
    Free Member

hehe I had the same thing not so long back, I was runnign a 5″ full sus and eventually I found I’d bought so many heavy components that it weighed a ton, I bought an NRS frame and transferred the components, quite a bit lighter and easier to pedal, then I dug out my old rigid and set it up as a singlespeed and thought “by god this is easy to swing about” – soon I’ll be drilling the tubes and rims and buying ti bits again, roll on the 90s revival! 😀

stilltortoise
    Free Member

well I did hear that purple is back in fashion. Please can I keep my disc brakes tho’?!

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Quick update: I’ve had my first ride with the new forks. Absolutely fab! The front end is now so light and flickable. Compared to my old (cheap) 80mm suspension forks which hardly did anything you would want from a suspension fork, these are so much better. Cheaper than suspension forks and have – seriously – knocked nearly 4lbs of weight off my bike. Shame it’s highlighted how heavy my frame is! Anyone recommend a lightweight XC frame that doesn’t mind a little abuse?

Marge
    Free Member

I have a pair of Trek ZR9000 frames that are light at 1520g (Large size) and haven’t complained about my abuse until now (and I’m 90kg).
    First was bought as a complete bike, the other 2nd hand for 100. 🙂
    #1 is equipped with a 80mm travel forks and #2 is running a Pace RC31.

Frames seem unpopular so 2nd hand prices are good. Cheap + light + strong.

tinsy
    Free Member

Got really good deals on the merlin rock lobster tig team sl.. £180 3.25lb

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

The topic ‘suspension v rigid’ is closed to new replies.