Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Suspension Service
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

when you have your suspension serviced what exactly does it do the performance? is it suppose to magically feel brilliant and new?? or would you not really notice a difference assuming it was ok (not broke) before the service? they just seem alot of money (almost a small car minor servive price) for a relatively small piece of kit for a service both forks and shox….

LoCo
    Free Member

You should notice an improvement, the reduction in performance is gradual as the oil picks up contaminants.
    A good service should include a complete strip, clean and inspection too which will increase the life of the unit too as well as rectifing any manufacturing defects.

GW
    Free Member

Yes.. of course I'd notice,

and if the cost bothers you so much DIY it's not massively difficult.

stumpy01

Depends how long it's been since they were serviced or how old they are.

You should definitely notice a difference if you haven't had them service for a couple of years & it's definitely worth changing things like o-rings to keep them working well.
    A service will also highlight any things that are wearing/liable to fail in the future.

It's probably worth learning how to do at least a lower leg service on your forks so you can give them some regular tlc.

tracknicko
    Free Member

i second doing it yourself. if it starts to go wrong then send it off to be serviced in bits. nothing lost.

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

I'm not the best rider in the world, and tbh, always thought it would prolly be only the pro's that would really notice the difference.

However, I've had both a Van R and an RP23 serviced (not PUSHed, just standard service) by TF Tuned and I cannot even begin to explain the difference. It is instantly noticeable. Well worth the money 🙂

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

is it suppose to magically feel brilliant and new??

If they are well used, then yes, it makes a big difference to get it done professionally. They'll resize the bushes on forks and recharge the nitrogen damper on shocks, neither of which you can do yourself.

Even a basic DIY strip/clean/new oils will make a noticeable difference.
    🙂

z1ppy

I think the main point here is the STD, "why do you spend £2000+ (plus or ok, less) on a FS bike and not regularly maintain one of the main parts that affects the performance/handling of that bike"
    Any service (home or professional) has to be better than none at all.

sobriety
    Free Member

I just stripped a pair of old Z1s i got off ebay, turns out the rebound cartridge is shagged. Time for a call to TFTuned methinks…

Edit: or LoCo then!

glenh
    Free Member

Out of interest LoCo, how much do you charge for an RP3 service? It's not on your website atm.

Normally do most of my own servicing, but can't do the shock damper at home obviously and it's had a few years use now!

peterfile
    Free Member

I just stripped and rebuilt my Totems (coil) for the first time the other night, installing some Enduro seals at the same time.

RockShox are a doddle to service and I find servicing forks very satisfying (both in terms of the noticable benefits and the fact that I know i've just saved £100)

Fox forks are a bit trickier IMO. I had a bit of a faff the first time I serviced my 36's, but it's easier now.

As for Fox air cans…….absolute doddle. 20 minute job.

Obviously, if you want to start playing with dampers then you need to have a bit more knowledge or bite the bullet and send it off.

LoCo
    Free Member

Seals are being tested at present for Fox rear shocks, I should be able to offer servicing an tuning on these in the next month or so.
    I can carry out work on all other stuff though.

Peterfile, yes the 36's are a bit trickier to service as unless you have the correct clamps it's really easy to damage the FIT cartridge when changing the oil, seals and bladder.

retro83
    Free Member

LoCo, will you also be revalving/reshimming rear shocks?

Something else I might be interested in is a bottom out bumper ala Push Big Hit Kit :
    clicky

As I have a frame which is poorly designed and bottoms out before the shock does …

Sorry for the hijack!

trickydisco
    Free Member

How about the spesh afr shock? is that easy as i think i need mine doing

LoCo
    Free Member

I will be re-valving rear shocks.
    The bottom out bumper is not something I've considered will look in to it.
    Is the shock the correct eye to eye and stroke?

LoCo
    Free Member

I'm pretty sure Specialized only supply seals to TF or do them in house bear with me…..

z1ppy

well if were throwing suspension questions @ Loco.. can an 200×57 shock (van R) be easily changed to an 200×50?
    I'm getting this from Si@ progressive posts that the Cane Creek DB of these spec's are only different, due to an extra 'bump' stop on the 50mm version (to stop it using the extra 7mm).

LoCo
    Free Member

No can't get specialized seals Specialized UK or TF.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes, Van R's can be reduced in stroke from 57 to 50 mm by the addition of an extra spacer under the bump stop.

MoseyMTB
    Free Member

Loco did a cracking job on my Reba Race they felt amazing after ther service and useless moco unit replaced. Only tuning place i'll be using from now on.

z1ppy

love a 'bit' of viral marketing (that really is a compliment), so to draw even more attention to your site Loco.. in your "about" page the rider in the piccy either has a wonky leg or the photo's come out weird, which is it?

(alway interest in riders who overcome 'serious' injury to continue cycling – not morbid, just impressed)

LoCo
    Free Member

Ha ha thanks! That picture is me gurning, I think it's the light on the photo, I'm riding flats and was drifting a bit round that corner so had half taken my inside foot off and have my heel on the pedal which looks abit strange I agree but was the only reasonable picture I had at the time 😳

coatesy
    Free Member

Just returned from Loco's place now, left him studying his wonky leg photo 😆

Amos
    Free Member

I've just stumbled on a guy in Witney Oxfordshire called Tim Aust used to work for HondaF1/BAR, his company is called Oxshox.
    RP23 service is £65 which I reckon is very reasonable, admittedly I've not had the shock back yet but I will let the STW massive know how it performs when I do.

http://www.oxshox.com/

Amos
    Free Member

Opps sorry LoCo hadn't read the entire thread! wasn't trying to take business off you, just heard about OxShox from my local bike shop!

willv

do you need the special rockshox tool for replacing the seals on a Pike or can you utilise a suitably sized socket?

lower leg oil change is easy enough but would like to do this bit too

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Suspension Service’ is closed to new replies.