Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • suspension seatposts………………..
  • beermonst3r44
    Free Member

so ive been riding recently and just wanting that little bit more comfort. ive thought about going from a hardtail to a full sus but tbh its a little wasted on me I think. I only commute and do some light XC. ive done a bit of a search and was quite surprised at how many different types there are. I was expecting just a load of sprung posts, how wrong I was lol. so what are people using ? any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I do NOT want or need a dropper.

Pawsy_Bear
    Free Member

you could achieve the same with wider tyres, tubeless and less psi

zippykona

They are fantastic. I even have one on my Fatty to soak up pedal bob (a life time of full sus has given me bad pedalling )and it means you can stayed seated on bumpy climbs.
    A titanium or carbon seat post is no substitute.
    I’m using a USB one but the Poste Moderne Brace is really good if you can find one.
    A cheap post is a waste of time.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

I cant go any wider on my tyres, I’m running 2.2 rear and 2.4 up front on a cannondale hardtail. roughly 25psi up front 27 rear. I don’t wanna go less as I need a bit of speed as well. thanks for replies guys.

shermer75
    Free Member

Just take all the tension out of your spokes

samunkim
    Free Member

Must confess to having one on my tourer.

It’s tightened up quite tight and only “bounces” when I hit pot holes etc..

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Thud buster is the standard answer to this question. Expensive and look a bit strange but they work brilliantly . Anybody who thinks taking a bit of air out of a wider tyre is the same has obviously never used one . If you are interested I have a hardly used 31.6 lt version that I could be persuaded to sell . Don’t take my word for it look at the user reviews .

mrlebowski
    Free Member

I’ve a USE Sumo XCR (?) which I use on HT – it’s great for taking the sting out on long rides..

argoose
    Free Member

+1 for use

scotroutes

I obtained a USE for my wifes bike as she was demanding a bit more comfort. I’ve tried it out a couple of times on linger rides and it’s…… OK. It does cushion you a bit but I also found it induced a strange bobbing motion. Maybe altering the damping would help.

thegreatape off here currently has it on loan so maybe he’ll offer some feedback.

ontor
    Free Member

‘Ow much then Ramsey Neil?

slowoldgit
    Free Member

I have a USE Sumo which I find doesn’t move much. Indeed I wondered if I’d been sold one with a heavier spring. Lately it seems to have softened, after a thousand or two miles.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Ramsey Neil , is it the short travel ? I could be interested if the price is right. Also what firmness for the elstomer, I’m heavy at 15st.
    I can’t find how to pm.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

It’s the long travel version , I’d have to check the color of the elastomers but I yhink I have an assortment of colours . 50 quid posted .

thegreatape
    Free Member

As mentioned above, scotroutes has kindly leant me a USE one. I wasn’t able to put it on my hardtail without getting a shim, but put it on my CX bike instead, which gets used on cycle paths and gravel tracks. To be honest I could not really notice any great difference, not without swapping them over and over and riding the same paths back to back, which I haven’t done. Maybe it’s because I am quite heavy and use up any ‘spring’ just in sitting on it? I notice the difference tyre pressures makes before I notice the seatpost I think. So for me it doesn’t do enough to warrant buying one. But it may be that I haven’t given it a fair chance by putting it on the wrong bike, and/or am too heavy for it.

Colin, apologies for keeping it so long, I really ought to get it back to you. Same address I assume, number 7?

scotroutes

Nae hurry – I’m not needing it for anything. You could always pop it into Nevis for me and I’ll collect it when I’m dropping off some bikes.

OTOH – anyone else want to borrow a USE seatpost 😆

rivingtonbike
    Free Member

No you can’t achieve the same with wider tyres,tubeless and less pressure in your tyres -just buy a Reverb and stop faffing about.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ok I’ll do that. Do they know you by your real name or a pseudonym 🙂

scotroutes

Ben knows me by both. Just mark it for Ticket to Ride and it’ll magically make its way to me!

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ok I’ll do that. Probably not until next weekend.

silverneedle
    Free Member

Use XCR sumo qway better than thudbuster st IME.

Brainflex

get a USE, simple, work well, easy to service and parts are readily available. I have 2 over 10 years old that are in regular use.

vorlich
    Free Member

+1 on USE post != lower tyre psi

I used one for ages on my Scandal and found it comfy, I ended up taking it off after it developed a creak, and haven’t missed it since.

Not sure I’d bother with one again.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Ramsey Neil I’ll take it. Can you pm on this forum ?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Ok beer monster it’s yours . I need to fish it out of the garage and see what spare elastomers I have . I may even have a service kit as well . I will contact you tomorrow evening when I have checked it out . As said it is hardly used . I too don’t know how to PM but I’m sure I can work it out by tomorrow .

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Thank you sir .

ontor
    Free Member

Hmm, too slow it seems.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Are the USE ones better these days? One winter used to be enough to kill them.

I’m talking 15 yrs ago or so

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Anyone know how to pm on here ?

scotroutes

You don’t. Check out the profile of whoever you want to contact and send them an email

ianpv
    Free Member

I’ve got a 31.6 thudbuster that I’d sell if anyone is looking for one. Mail in profile!

Ian

hummerlicious
    Free Member

I’ve got the USE Vybe, really good, bought it last year after demo at mountain mayhem. I’ve got a slightly heavier spring than my weight as I didn’t want it moving too much. It takes the sting out really nicely.

I have a Ti post on my other bike, which obviously isn’t as good, but does still offer a degree of comfort, though that is a 29+ so it helps too.

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Beermonster if you e-mail me your address then I will get the post sent to you and you can do a bank transfer when you get it . It comes with 2 blue elastomers and I have 2 used blue ones and a beige coloured one that has never been used .I can’t find the rebuild kit that I had .
    My e-mail is helks64@manx.net

allan23
    Free Member

Had a USE SX one a few years ago, medium spring seemed OK for me. Was about 13 and half stone at the time.

The rubber boot thing held water and muck so cut it off. The seat clamp was a right fiddle and cracked eventually.

Decided if I ever got another I’d try a Thudbuster.

beermonst3r44
    Free Member

Ramsey Neil check your email !
    Had a small ride on the blue elastomers which are supposed to be to soft for my weight, wow love it. Looking forward to a good trek to see how I feel afterwards!

hopefiendboy

I’ve had a thud buster for years now, superb bit of kit. No problem recommending one.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Following on from my post a couple of days ago, just before I return it to scotroutes I decided to do what I hadn’t done, and that is to try the USE post back to back with a normal one, on the same track, with the same tyres, straight after each other. And I am going to revise my opinion from earlier, and say that there is a difference, not massive, but a difference nonetheless, just enough to take the edge of some bumps. It’s on the same bike, a rigid steel cx bike on 28mm (I think) tyres. In addition, I’ve lost about 10kgs since I first tried it so perhaps I am closer to the correct weight range for whatever elastomers are in it.

zippykona

I always used to find that my camelback would hit the back of my helmet when the going got bumpy. It doesn’t happen with the suspension seatpost.
    Great ape ,maybe the post is more effective on a sit up bike?

thegreatape
    Free Member

Possibly yeah? I’ve only tried it on one bike. Just on reading the thread and seeing that most people noticed a difference I thought I’d give it one last go. Maybe the weight thing is what’s different?

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘suspension seatposts………………..’ is closed to new replies.