Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Suspension pivot bushes and bolts ?
  • TheWrongTrousers

Hi all
    I’m trying to trace a creak that my full susser has developed and have some questions about some things I’ve noticed. The bike’s pretty new so I would doubt that the bushes are shot just yet.

1.I have a pivot bush (can’t remember which) that rotates in the frame once the bolt is out, does that matter, should it ? Is that like to cause a creak ?

2. The bolts that go through the pivots, should they be greased when they’re fitted ? (not the threaded part obviously, which bears traces of blue Loctite)

3. When you fit the pivot bushes into the frame, should they be greased or fitted dry ?

4. Is it easy to take the bushes out of the frame to clean and grease slightly (see above) before refitting, without damaging them ?

4. Any other suggestions for things to check ?

Thanks in advance all.
    ‘Trousers

mikewsmith
    Free Member

bushes dry but try a bit of lube on the bolts etc. though would suggest giving up finding the creak. It could drive you mad and cost a lot of money

unklehomered
    Free Member

I’m not quite sure what you mean by frame bushes. Most frames will have bearings in the joints which move. The shock ususally being the only part with bush. (of the frames I’ve had cause to dismantle).

could you throw a pic up?

But bushes dry, bolts thread lock (if anything) and the pivot itself grease. (how I do it, I’m sure others may differ).

Creaks resonate through the frame and can be tricky to pin point. Do you get the creak standing up? Do you get it sitting down with feet of the pedals. Do you get it specifically bouncing up and down?

TheWrongTrousers

@mikewsmith
    Yeah, I agree, I’ll just turn the music up a bit ! Although I’m asking out of curiosity more than anything.

@unklehomered
    Ah I see. So it’s not uncommomn to have a bearing which turns in the frame with the bolt removed ? Assume the bolt/nut clamp it in place when tight and stop it moving.
    On each of my suspension pivot points there is bush or bearing-type thing on either side. You know, a rubber donut (or maybe it’s a bearing race) sandwiched between two metal rings.

Have failed at trying to attach a pic, how do you do that ??

null

The creak is there (comes and goes though) when seated and when I stand up, and when I bounce on the bike.

I’ve changed the seatpost, checked all the spoke tensions, greased and re-fitted the BB, greased the axles, checked the chainring bolts, greased and tightened some of the pivot bolts. Still there, although it is intermittent.

Thanks for your time peoples.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

so the bearing outer moves in its hole rather than the bearing rotates is that right?

re pix – upload to photobucket and link from there

TheWrongTrousers

Yes, the bearing will move in it’s hole, if you push your finger against it and turn your finger, the bearing will turn with it. The whole thing turns, not just the inner metal collar, if that’s what you mean.
    I’m not explaining this very well am I ?

unklehomered
    Free Member

Pics you need to host somewhere like flickr, and then link to them.

Yes what you describe is a sealed bearing. So the inside steal ring should rotate freely when the bolt is out. Now… here the group will split A bearing which does not rotate freely without the bolt will probably still rotate under the tension of the bolt. But it is obviously at a lower standard, and may be creaking. I wouldn’t say you need to replace immediately but it could be something to consider for the end of the year. How worth it often depends for me on how much of a PITA the frame is to change bearings. Many bearing only move through a few degrees and that rotation is kept free by frame motion.

It may have a 4 digit code on it. That is the number of the bearing you you need, Such as 6802. You may have a pivot that goes in the middle, very lightly grease the outside, not to lube, just to stop it seizing, but none on the bolt you put in either end.

Google your frame model and “bearing change”, may yeild some useful info too. What is the frame?

EDIT: ah!, that bearing sounds like it does need replacing, but on the flipside, should be easy to get out! Just check around where that bearing sits for any frame damage as well as I’ve never seen that before. Probably fine but worth a detailed look.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

thats not right – the bearing should be an interference fit

kimbers

yeah the bearing shouldn’t move in the frame
    obviously the inner bit of the bearing should spin

kimbers

x2 post

apparently I move to fast wtf that means ?

TheWrongTrousers

It’s a 2012 LaPierre Spicy 512.

What does ‘interefernce fit’ mean ?

Thanks chaps

Trekster

What bike?

Some older Treks needed some bearing fit to hold bearings in place!

Greybeard
    Free Member

‘Interference fit’ means the bush is just very slightly bigger than the hole it goes through. So instead of a clearance, there’s an ‘interference’.

If you have an interference fit you need some kind of press, even if it’s just a bolt with big washer, to get the bush or bearing in or out.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Suspension pivot bushes and bolts ?’ is closed to new replies.