Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Suspension oil volume
  • gravitykids
    Free Member

I’m building up a new bike for my daughter and I’ve a pair of SIDs to put on it.
    She’s only eight, so I’ve changed the travel from 100mm down to 70mm.
    When I put the oil in the damper, I decided to put less oil in than recommended, to see how it performs.
    With the low weight oil in the fork, the compression seems nice and active. The lock out doesn’t work, but I’m not bothered about that.
    I also seem to be able to setup the rebound exactly as I would want.
    The question is, for all you suspension gurus, am I likely to cause any damage to the fork, running it with less oil.

poah
    Free Member

can’t see it doing any damage as its just oil going through shims. I run the lowest possible volume in Lewis’s SIDS when I swapped out to RS 2.5wt oil. didn’t bother with the rebound though as that’s fine. The issue you may run into is air and oil mixing

Davesport

Not a guru but the damper is designed to contain a specific amount of oil. I’m not following the logic that because you’re not using all the travel you need less of it? There’s now a void somewhere that should be full of oil. I’d run with the correct quantity.

D.

nicolaisam
    Free Member

As above.. Damper now has a void, Needs to have correct amount.
    You could also use a slightly thinner oil in it as well, will also be good for a lighter weight rider

gravitykids
    Free Member

Cheers for the feedback, I’ll to it up.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Suspension oil volume’ is closed to new replies.