Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Suspension – more settings or more to go wrong?
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Thinking about upgrading my forks at some point in the future. Looking at the options out there and find myself thinking that some forks (and shocks) have loads of options to set them up, but does this actually mean there is more to go wrong both in how they are setup but also more internals which could fail?

Lusting after the Fox Float 36 160s but come in RLC and R flavours – I’m sure the Rs perform really well and have less to go wrong. I suppose I’m more of a fit and forget kind of riders which is perhaps what is guiding my thoughts.

Are the extra settings really worth it?

ahwiles
    Free Member

unless you change your settings on a daily basis, no, not really worth it.

lots of knobs to twiddle is nice, but you do have to pay for them.

RealMan
    Free Member

The L stands for lockout right? And the C for compression?

I like having lock out, so I’d go for the RLCs.

_tom_
    Free Member

u-turn/travel adjust is quite useful sometimes but most of the time I don’t bother and keep them wound out to 140mm. I never use lockout but it can come in handy especially if you’re singlespeeding (more time out of saddle).

joolsburger
    Free Member

Having compression damping is useful on the other hand I don’t use my lockout at all.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Having compression damping is useful on the other hand I don’t use my lockout at all.

Both the forks have compression damping, but you can adjust (high and low speed) it on the RLC

I’ve never heard of anything going “wrong” with the compression adjustments, the only problems I’ve heard about with fox forks is stanchions wearing, float cartridges blowing up and talas adjust breaking.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I have found that being on the whippety end of weight the extra faffy bits on my revs let me have a fork that suit me. I think it depends on how close you are to the average weight/style of rider the fork would be built around. If you are Joe average, then the settings will deviate little from factory preset. If you are a little eccentric in your riding/physique then the tuning will be noticeable.

I never use lockout on the trail (good bob defense should eliminate this unless you’re competing), but I do think height adjustment (like u turn) could be welcome. I’ve found a fairly all round setting for my dual air which still has enough absorption for bigger hits.

I don’t claim to be an expert, these are just my experiences!

joolsburger
    Free Member

You can use the C to prevent dive when you’re braking. I am well aware that the R’s have compression damping 🙄

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Are the adjustments things you need? I never use lockout but others like it -depends on are you a “sit and spin” climber of ” stand and mash it” I haven’t even fitted the lockout levers to my bikes. Same with travel adjust – I always forget to adjust it out ont eh trail – I have given up and just leave it at an average setting now.

TheSwede
    Free Member

I’ve just bought some fox 36 R’s. I went for the R’s because they were on offer 😮

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Suspension – more settings or more to go wrong?’ is closed to new replies.