Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Suspension Gurus/basics – linear vs progressive
  • v666ern
    Free Member

So potentially looking at buying a Cotic Rocket frame and swapping my parts over. Concerned that my 2015 fox 36 talas (being linear, is that correct?) wouldn’t suit the progressive nature of the frame and id be better off selling them and changed to the supplied X fusion sweeps.

Or am I overthinking this?

legend
    Free Member

Or am I overthinking this?

Yup.

Regardless of what you do, there will always be differences between front and rear suspension. Unless of course you’d just like new forks – then you definitely need them or the bike will be unrideable

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Linear front means same force to move through the travel, only ever found that works with a proper High and Low Speed compression damper.
    You can pull the TALAS out and throw a Float leg into it

v666ern
    Free Member

Not really looking to have to get new forks, just dont want to do something idiotic!

Linear front means same force to move through the travel, only ever found that works with a proper High and Low Speed compression damper.

they are 160, FIT, RC2, Kashima. i have no idea what any of ^ means but i know they have HSC and LSC dials to mess around with!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Just ride it, it’s not like both wheels do the same thing at the same time anyway, or that your feet and arms perceive or seal with it the same way anyway.

If it does feel ‘wrong’, just ask MOJO, they can probably do something about it with the volumes, or swap the spring.

legend
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Linear front means same force to move through the travel

By same force I assume you mean and ever inceasing force that ramps up at a linear rate?

vmgscot

If you want to know more about these things, I’ve found the Vorsprung Tuesday Tune series of videos on PinkBike in recent weeks very informative

philjunior
    Free Member

Well we’ve already got damping mixed up with spring rate on this thread.

Linear is as legend says a (spring) force proportional to the vertical deflection of the wheel. You don’t really get this even with a coil sprung fork as the air volume will always cause a bit of a ramp up. Depending on the fork you might be able to adjust this with spacers or oil level (within certain limits).

I would tend to ride it, tune it up as well as you can, and if you think it still rides like a dog, try new forks that have a more progressive spring rate.

v666ern
    Free Member

I would tend to ride it, tune it up as well as you can, and if you think it still rides like a dog, try new forks that have a more progressive spring rate.

Cool – that makes sense, thanks all

I’ve found the Vorsprung Tuesday Tune series of videos on PinkBike in recent weeks very informative

Will have a watch – thank you

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Rc2 fixes the talas problems

v666ern
    Free Member

Rc2 fixes the talas problems

Can you elaborate a little, the feel i get is they arent as good as fixed travel but not having ridden a float im not sure what the problems are!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Spring is too linear, fork dives more than it should and needs ow speed compression to stop that. The base ones all are R only so only a bit of HSC.
    tried a few and never really got on with them especially on repeated steps/rock hits

v666ern
    Free Member

AH im with you – thank you

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Suspension Gurus/basics – linear vs progressive’ is closed to new replies.