Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • suspension gurus – Fox 36 or RS Lyrik??
  • dirtydog
    Free Member

The Lyrik (and Yari) have bigger negative to positive ratio, which gives them a better start feel,

I suspect next years Pike will get the same treatment and close the performance gap between the 36, most reviews suggest the Lyric has better small bump compliance because of it (than the Pike).

maxtorque

Job Jobbed:

Simple job to machine some matching torque caps for my Mavic wheelset (that uses push in adaptors anyway 😉

timbud
    Free Member

Nice maxtorque.
    The only thing thats really put me off RS recently is the black on black on black… but we might just add a bit of white. So tired of seeing stealth bikes.

I’ve been running a 2016 170mm 36 on my bike since July last year. 3 ½ months at tA in Les Arcs (and the wider Savoie) and its been absolutely faultless. So much support that i’ve removed all tokens and only have 60psi in them. Honestly haven’t noticed any lack of small bump sensitivity… even though it went some way past the recommend service interval.
    Best fork I’ve used in a long time… even better than the mighty 55 RC3 ti from 2010.
    Can’t wait for the 2017

julians
    Free Member

Maxtorque – where did you get it from b? How much?

julians
    Free Member

So, just ordered a lyrik, rct3 170mm. Would have preferred a fox 36 ,but the price difference is too great, £526 for the lyrik,from germany versus £799 for the fox 36.

So will give the lyrik a good go,and if its no good will move it on. It has to be said that i have my doubts that it can be substantially better than the pike i currently have , seemingly havinga very similar if not identical damper, but willing to be proven wrong.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Wonder if Yari with avalanche would be a good option still cheaper than fox slightly more than the lyrik.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

There are a few places you can get the 36 for £650ish, but even if the price were the same as the Lyrik, I’d still pick the latter.

Wonder if Yari with avalanche would be a good option still cheaper than fox slightly more than the lyrik.

I expect it would be lovely, but I can’t see it being a cheap option, it’s going to be £800 ish if you have to buy the fork.

julians
    Free Member

Whos doing the 36 for £650ish?

The best i could find was £799 for a 2016 27.5 rc2.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Think you can get Yari £400 and avalanche for £300

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Plus shipping, import duty, VAT, etc for the cartridge. I think £800 might be a bit conservative, unless you get lucky with the duty charges.

SirHC

Apologies for the thread hijack, but figured it made more sense to have one thread.

The Pikes on the front of my Reign are dying a slow creaky death, will be going back for warranty, no idea how long it will take (bought from CRC). They also feel pretty awful in comparison to a brand new Pike on my 29er, even though its been recently rebuilt with new seals all the way through.

Currently weighing up the 36 or Lyrik as a replacement (have an X2 already). There does seem to be complaints about the 36 being harsh on the small bump sensitivity, for those who have complained about this, is your fork spaced down (i.e. a 170mm fork running at 160mm) or is it running at its supplied height? As speaking to a bike shop mechanic they were adamant that spacing down the fork cures some of the harshness.

Reading some of the threads on here and other forums, it was mentioned that the charger damper has little in the way of compression damping, and effectively relies on the spring & tokens?

julians
    Free Member

Reading some of the threads on here and other forums, it was mentioned that the charger damper has little in the way of compression damping, and effectively relies on the spring & tokens?

It has adjustable low speed compression damping , which has a large range, going from very little, to way too much. Perhaps people think it has too little high speed compression damping? this may well be the case, but it feels great.

I think the new lyrik is fantastic, I dont know how its done, but it does feel substantially more controlled and sensitive than the pike I had before it. Its a substantial step up despite on paper appearing to be very similar. I’m surprised that Rockshox dont do more in terms of marketing to differentiate it from the pike.

Scamper
    Free Member

Talking of the Lyrik being fantastic I’ve dropped the new damper into my old Lyriks. Not as much adjustment now but overall a big improvement. Basically the forks have a lot more pop to them and support.

Northwind

Scamper – Member

Talking of the Lyrik being fantastic I’ve dropped the new damper into my old Lyriks. Not as much adjustment now but overall a big improvement. Basically the forks have a lot more pop to them and support.

If I could, I’d put the damper and coil from my old Lyriks into my new Pikes 😆

maxtorque

Well, having plumped for Lyriks a few months back, and now having ridden them enough to set them up, and i’m happy with my choice!

It’s taken quite bit of setup mind, as i’m a pretty light rider (70kg). I’ve ended up down art just 40psi, with 1 token in, but this manages to recreate the famous Pike initial compliance and yet not batter through the travel too soon.

Perhaps, if you’re a bit heavier, then the Fox36 is a better fork, but none of the ones i’ve tried (and i’ve tried a few now, including a set on an identical Dune to mine) have got close to matching the Lyrik for the initial soft response.

As my Lyrik is 180mm, which not that long ago was I guess a DH only kinda length, i think i can get away with running it a bit soft to start off with, as there is plenty of travel and hence plenty of time on any given hit, for the fork to react and move upwards.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Currently weighing up the 36 or Lyrik as a replacement (have an X2 already). There does seem to be complaints about the 36 being harsh on the small bump sensitivity, for those who have complained about this, is your fork spaced down (i.e. a 170mm fork running at 160mm) or is it running at its supplied height? As speaking to a bike shop mechanic they were adamant that spacing down the fork cures some of the harshness.

My 36 (both of them) were 160m travel, one being a 2015 & the other being a 2016 fork.

There seems to be some people doing some custom work to the air side to try improve the small bump compliance, no idea if it actually works though.

I’ve had my Lyrik for about 7 months now & it’s just worked. Nothing fancy to set up. Running pressures a bit higher than recommended & 3 tokens in them, as I don’t want a divey fork when racing.

Don’t get arm pump any more, don’t get grief from my previously broken wrist, and I don’t get angry with a fork that’s almost impossible to find a sensible balance with.

I’m not a fan of the 36.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

in summary

“I would have given the Lyrik the edge as far as small bump sensitivity goes but after spending time on Fox’s updated 2017 FIT 4 damper that’s no longer the case, and the two competitors are neck-and-neck once again. Fox does have the advantage when it comes to external features – the 36 is available with a damper that allows for both high-speed and low-speed compression to be adjusted independently, and they also offer a version with convertible dropouts that allow riders to run either a 15mm or 20mm thru-axle. At the end of the day, choosing one over the other will come down to what features you value the most, since both forks leave little to be desired out on the trail.”

long review of lyrik here

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/rockshox-lyrik-review-2016.html

chakaping
    Free Member

Good review there.

I’m pretty much decided on the Lyrik. Just need £600 now… so maybe it’ll have to wait then.

🙁

SirHC

Mojo are currently out of 36 Floats, 2017’s should be arriving some time in June. The Lyriks are £200 cheaper, seems a no brainer to me.

julians
    Free Member

I managed to buy some new 2016 170mm rct3 solo air lyrics for £530 off a German shop on eBay a couple of months ago. Might be worth a hunt around for some bargains

maxtorque

If you’re a lightweight like me, i think the lyrik is a more sensitive fork. I just couldn’t find the sweet spot on the 36!

If you’re a bit heavier, what feels like a bit more initial stiction is much less relevant, and the extra “Tuneability” of the Fox damper could be the decider (all be it for significantly more initial outlay). But, as you can’t tune out the stiction, that dominates for racing snakes like me……

Northwind

Funny thing is, the Pike came out in 2013 and is largely unchanged, and the Lyrik’s really just an evolution. How many Fox models and major product changes has it kicked the arse of? I’d not be surprised if Fox have caught up but you know it won’t last.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

If you’re a bit heavier, what feels like a bit more initial stiction is much less relevant, and the extra “Tuneability” of the Fox damper could be the decider (all be it for significantly more initial outlay). But, as you can’t tune out the stiction, that dominates for racing snakes like me……

I’m not a racing snake, would say I’m a fairly average 6ft tall & 83kg.

It was just harsh, unless you ran silly low pressure and then it was just useless.

zcmudd
    Free Member

My lyrik eats trails. I have a 170mm but I’m slightly concerned about my rebound. Sometimes the fork leaves 0.5cm+ of unextended travel when on two wheels. SRAM said it’s the negative air spring for the “zero breakaway feel”
    -could you guys send some pics of your fork after its rebounded from like a 50% compression (while on two wheels)
    I’m just under the 10% bracket sometimes

My brand new Lyriks are the same zcmudd

kayla1
    Free Member

Suntour Durolux are awesome, I’ve got them on both my bikes (hardtail with 120-160mm and FS steamroller-tank-o-matic with 140-180mm). They’re as stiff as owt and work really well. I haven’t tried any newer air spring RS forks but my OH has some older U-turn coil Pikes on his bike and they’re absolute crap (flex like mad) compared to the Durolux on mine 😀

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

If I could, I’d put the damper and coil from my old Lyriks into my new Pikes

CrConception in France do a coil mod for the pike, AWK in Germany does a dual positive air chamber mod that is similar to the system found in the Ohlins and IRT equiped Mattoc. Both will boost midstroke support and sensitivity without massively increasing the bottom out resistance.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m just under the 10% bracket sometimes

Sram are notorious for misplacing the sag indicators. Break out a ruler – also my Pike has a bit of travel that can be pulled out – a few mm. I’m pretty sure its normal, though they can develop stick down due to grease in the port that equalises the pressure between the positive and negative air chambers.

Besides, in motocross there is free sag and race/rider sag. It’s likely that what Rock Shox says is correct, that the large negative spring makes them so sensitive they sag under the bikes weight like a motorbike. I’ve only ever really seen that on coil equipped downhill bikes.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

I’m not a racing snake, would say I’m a fairly average 6ft tall & 83kg.

It was just harsh, unless you ran silly low pressure and then it was just useless.

2015 model? They were overdamped, the stock models came with a racers enduro tune! 😀

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

2015 model? They were overdamped, the stock models came with a racers enduro tune!

Originally yes, until they were replace with a 2016 fork after the cartridge spectacularly exploded and basically trashed the whole fork.

The 2016 fork wasn’t any better really, and was worked on by Fox USA and Mojo, but still felt like crap. The Lyrik just works fine.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Well…crap. I was counting on buying a Fox after my Pike died twice in a few months. The second time, Fisher took 5 1/2 weeks to get the fork back to me.

Their excuses included “the computers went down” and “the bloke doing your forks is on holiday”.

Great.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

any long term thoughts on the lyriks for those in the thread who bought them? hobnob? how are yours going? you seem to put them through their paces

one thing that puts me off SRAM is the turnaround when they break, for example the last post above! 5 1/2 weeks! having one bike only, its simply not possible to be off it that long, I’m currently waiting on a reverb warranty which is already at 5 weeks, its crap!

mojo and fox forks you would be away back on the trails within around 3-5 days max

but my 36 I’m having trouble setting up, far to many settings for my liking on the RC2 I have so I’m thinking of selling and getting some lyriks

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

also have the new lyriks combatted the dreaded creaky CSU yet?? or is that still a problme

Milkie
    Free Member

also have the new lyriks combatted the dreaded creaky CSU yet?? or is that still a problme

Friend has developed the cracky steerer on his new Lyriks that replaced his cracky BOS forks. The Lyriks have gone back to YT, yet another month he won’t have a bike!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Still have the Lyrik – although they are on my wife’s Nomad now.

They are fine – no issues whatsoever, I still steal her bike when I break something on mine & have no issues really. No warranty issues etc.

The don’t seem to suffer from the creaky crown of the Pike, but then I read that although they are visually similar – the Lyrik has more meat on it.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Hobnob – good to know no long term problems (with the bladder exploding etc), and creaknyess!

out of interest does this mean your not running them anymore? what have you got now? as I thought you hated the 36’s for the same reason I’m struggling with mine

milkie – doh, to counteract one, although googling doesn’t suggest a single creaky lyric so far and they’ve been out a year nearly now, its very frustrating the turnaround though that’s the for sure, that is ultimately whats stopping me getting some really over fox (even for the price hike)

julians
    Free Member

I’ve had the Lyriks for about 8 months now, they’re great still. No issues with creaky CSU , but then I didnt have that issue on my pikes either.

Have added a token to whatever they come set up with out of the box ( 170mm 650b Solo air rct 3 model).

I did originally feel that I couldnt get the rebound damping slow enough, I was right on the last click, and so I was going to change the rebound shimstack to the more firm setup, but in the end I added a token and lowered the air pressure instead. I may yet change the shimstack when I have them apart for a service.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I’m not – i’ve got a 2016 36 with a custom damper cartridge in it.

Yes – not a fan of the standard 36’s to be honest – although i’ve not tried the current stuff.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

cool hobnob, I am tempted by the fit4 2017 ones (but the price is insane) to see how they fair over mine, and for the simplicity of them and also a 15mm QR

julians – sounds promising, I’m only a light rider, I had a little go a mates lyriks and they just feel so plush over everything, I cant fault the 36 when it gets rocky they do seem to work well in that scenario, but for most stuff they just feel a bit wooden to me, the lyriks if they have avoided the creaky CSU then that’s a positive, and if the bladder doesn’t explode then they are onto a winner!

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘suspension gurus – Fox 36 or RS Lyrik??’ is closed to new replies.