Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • suspension fork foot nut tightening
  • sherry
    Free Member

On giving my forks a lower leg service I have been having some bother tightening one of the foot nuts. It’s the air side. The damper side snugged up fine. Any suggestions other than cutting a groove. I had tried full compression with no air, full extension with air. Any helpful suggestions welcome!

iffoverload
    Free Member

is the spring is spinning before it tightens up.

you could try using a cordless drill or impact driver with a clutch on a low setting.

rickon
    Free Member

Is the nut just spinning?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ndthornton
    Free Member

hard to believe its spinning with air in it
    Increase the pressure and check its not cross threased

dirtydog
    Free Member

Damaged thread during removal?

sherry
    Free Member

I have checked the threads and look completely fine. I have had the lowers back off and they look fine. The nut is screwing on as normal until it starts to slightly tighten. Then the inner rod just turns with it. I put a new crush washer on and it makes no difference. It does seem to be holding the oil at the moment and the pressure is fine as well.

hairyscary

Try pushing on the lowers (with air in) whilst trying to tighten the nut.

daver27
    Free Member

as Hairyscary says, get someone to weight the bars a little whilst you tighten up the foot nut.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

if its dual air, pump negative 20-30 psi higher than positive. That will pull forks down in travel putting some load on the air shaft. If solo air, pump air pressure up and get someone to sit on the bike and preload the forks and do the nut up.

So long as the press fit has engaged, oil weep past the press fit will be minimal. I have ridden a whole loop of W2 with a loose nut (half way down the air shaft threaded part….oil leakage was luckily minimal).

iffoverload
    Free Member

did you try a cordless? works every time for me.

jakd95
    Free Member

Don’t overdo it once it starts tightening (especially if you use a driver), I managed to snap off the stud on the bottom of the air side of some 36 Talas by being ham fisted. An expensive mistake..

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘suspension fork foot nut tightening’ is closed to new replies.