Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Suspension fluid mixing
  • alfabus
    Free Member

I need some 7.5 weight fluid for my 55 rc3ti’s

I have 5 weight and 15 weight and all the local shops are out of stock.

Can I mix the two to get 7.5 weight? i.e. 5 + 5 + 5 + 15 / 4 = 7.5

Will I die?

Dave

andyl
    Free Member

Brand Y 7.5wt doesnt normally equal brand X 7.5wt anyway so you will probably be fine doing it that way.

alfabus
    Free Member

Cool. I’ll give it a go then 🙂

Thanks

stoffel
    Free Member

Whatever you use,don’t buy it from a bike shop. As it will be ridiculously expensive. I get my suspeension fluid from motorcycle places. You’ll probably get twice as much for half the price. As for mixing; there are some formulae online, but your method will probably be ok, as long as you use the same manufacturer for both. The actual ‘weight’ isn’t that crucial anyway really.

toys19
    Free Member

yup your calc is a version of rule of mixtures, which is a pretty good estimate.

dooge
    Free Member

Most forks have enough adjustability in them to compensate for any increase in speed for using lighter fork oil. I used 5wt instead of 7.5wt in my Mission Control damper, works fine for what I want. Not ideally but fine as a temp.

I had a friend who used gearbox oil instead of fork oil on some old coil Z1’s, worked fine if a bit fast as its even thinner.

alfabus
    Free Member

Well, the damage is done. Forks serviced and moody fluid put in.

I bounced them up and down in the garage and I didn’t die, so hopefully all is well 😉

Dave

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Suspension fluid mixing’ is closed to new replies.