• This topic has 14 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nickc.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Suspension bearings life in the real world?
  • Squirrel

I have an old, 26″ Orange 5 (I know,I know). I’d like a new one. There’s nothing wrong with the one I’ve got but I’m tired of the sniggers. Yes, I am that shallow 😳 The point is, I only ride the 5 about 10% of the time as I usually ride a hardtail, so don’t really want to drop around 3K on a new one. I could pick up an Anthem from Paul’s for not much more than 1K. My question is what lifespan is likely from the bearings in a multi-pivot bike? I’ve only replaced them on the 5 once in about 8 years and it was almost comically easy (and cheap as there’s only 2 8) ) I don’t really want the cost of replacing around 10 bearings by the LBS on a regular basis, and don’t have the inner strength to do it myself.

I’d really appreciate some real world experience. Or at least the thoughts of the STW massive.

Thanks 🙂

kilo

Done (well the lbs did)the bearings in my trance once in six years, until a couple of years ago it was my best bike used all the time and then relegated to winter so it had a hard life. Could probably have got away with just doing the one pair of bearings that creaked rather than all of them

moonboy
    Free Member

Ghost AMR 2011, not my only bike, bearings replaced for the first time this year. Happy with that.

There’s nothing wrong with the one I’ve got but I’m tired of the sniggers

Do you ride with a bunch of bike snobs?

Trimix
    Free Member

Covert – jet washed to death for 5+ years. Ridden all winter. Only two bearings needed changing in all that time. Cost a few quid each and took about three minutes to change.

Squirrel

Some good news there, thank you! Do you guys ride a lot? Oh and yes I do ride with a bunch of snobs. Love ’em really. Not that I’d ever tell them that 😉

mactheknife

Squirrel – Member
    I have an old, 26″ Orange 5 (I know,I know). I’d like a new one. There’s nothing wrong with the one I’ve got but I’m tired of the sniggers. Yes, I am that shallow

This cant be a serious quote surely?? I can absolutely guarantee nobody gives a sh!t about your wheelsize. Its all in your heed man 🙂

But if by an odd chance it is true you should :-

1. Change your mates.

2. Grow a thicker skin.

Squirrel

Mac. You’ve never ridden in the Surrey Hills 🙄 😀

mactheknife

Nope, thankfully 😀

But if i do find myself down there i am bringing my 26″ hardtail. Peoples heads might explode.

billyboy
    Free Member

Anthem 29er- rode it all year- new bearings needed after that.

Marin Attack Trail 2005- changed after 9 years but I think I could have held out longer.

Marin had made a good attempt at protecting the bearings from the elements, Giant had not!

solamanda
    Free Member

Pivots depend on alot of factors. I changed the pivots on a Carbon Remedy after 2 years as they felt rough. I could have easily got another year out of it but the improved rear suspension on fresh bearings was a bigger difference than a shock service.

In the same time my slash that gets less wet weather use has perfectly smooth bearings in the same time. It’s very dependent on use.

I’ve previously had single pivot DH bikes that needed bearings every 2 years. I put this down to the extreme abuse they got from wet races/uplifts and then often long periods not being used, allowing them to rust.

I certainly notice less shock bushing wear and less shock service required on some multi-pivot bikes I’ve owned. I put this down to the shock being subjected to vastly lower twisting action, often positioned better to avoid mud spray and a design that is less reliant on the damper to control the rear wheel movement.

Squirrel

You’re right there Billyboy. I had a Marin Mount Vision for years. Never needed new pivot bearings!

martymac

No way would i change my bike (or wheel size) cos my mates ripped the piss tbh.
    I would rip the piss back, or hand them their arse on a plate on every climb.
    If i wasnt so fat, obviously.
    Bearings arent expensive, if you’ve managed to replace them on a 5 you could do them on a multi pivot bike no problem I’d say.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Mine needs them now after about 8 months, there’s play & they creak, but i’m a jet washer, so my own fault.
    We see loads through the workshop where the customer says they’re fine, but remove the bolts & the bearings are often seized, they just don’t realise until they’re changed & notice the difference.

nickc

love those old 5’s they’re amazing bikes, I wouldn’t be changing one just because it was a 26″.

I think it depends on you as as a rider really to see how often you’d need to change bearings, but if you’re riding a HT for most of the time I reckon it’s wouldn’t be massively different to the Five.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Suspension bearings life in the real world?’ is closed to new replies.