Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • sus forks whats your maintainence routine?
  • odannyboy
    Free Member

my reba race are now approx 4 mnths ols and done 3oomiles maybe.i have done nothing other than wash them down with rest of the bike.
    im thinking there must be some cr@p under the scraper seal and how do i get it out.
    will/do they need further work? oil changes etc?
    thestations do have the tiniest ,barely noticable scratches vertically but is this to be expected?

retro83
    Free Member

thestations do have the tiniest ,barely noticable scratches vertically but is this to be expected?

grit under wipers possibly?

do a lowers service as shown here (for lyrics but the same really)

clicky

you can buy a service kit from tftuned with the appropriate oil, grease + syringe

I_Ache
    Free Member

My Recons are over 3 years old and I've not bothered to have them apart yet and they are still working fine they are coil forks tho.

They probably could do with a strip clean and some fresh oil but thats a pretty easy job.

odannyboy
    Free Member

cheers retro33 thats helpful.anyone know where i could find the exact brakedown for my reba's? RS web page im guessing

what's the minimum maintanece? im thinking the scrapper seals are where the cr@p mainly gets in so do they need to be cleaned more often or is it a case that if you are having them appart you may as well do oil also?

retro83
    Free Member

Yes rock shox site has a specific guide but all rs forks are pretty similar.
    That guide i posted is all you regularly need to do to keep them sweet

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

what retro said, Ive used that guide to service lyriks and rebas, it is so simple I do it regularly.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Wash and dry, squirt finish line wet lube on stanchions, ride around pumping forks, wipe away excess.

I ride a lot and I've got nearly two year old Fox floats which had immaculate stanchions as per a recent service at LBS.

A guy from mojo at the Brechfa enduro said this was fine, he reckoned the issue with wear is riding them with dried on mud on the stanchions.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pikes – every few months lowers off clean and oil change. 'zocchis every year oil change, every couple of years strip clean oilchange

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I recently took apart my Rebas,which had probably done 1500miles before they were serviced.The internals, were still in very good shape,the stantion seals were in good nick too.I put this down to my cleaning regime,which sees me clean the stanchions down after every ride,and periodically putting some teflon lube/fork specific grease around the seals.Pump the forks up and down,then dry off the excess,with a clean cloth.

Servicing lowers is dead easy,though you will need to assemble yourself some tools,10mm socket,spannner,rubber faced mallet,big syringe,etc and 15wt oil.

nickc

do the lube on the stanchions thing after every ride wipe away all the excess mud and crap, other than that mine go away every year for a service, 'part from that I leave them alone.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Maintenance?

Pieface

I've been through 2 sets of RS forks in as many years without a service – and ended up with bit worn marks on the stanchions. Doesn't affect the performance but they look a dogs dinner.

Now I know how to do the service I wish I'd done it more regularly as its so easy to do. Having the right tools helps (namely a syringe).

odannyboy
    Free Member

best/cheapest source for oil??

nuke

The only bit I really focus on on my forks are the stanchions and tops of seals: cleaned after every ride with a bit of kitchen roll and teflon based spray, sprayed with Fork Juice before every ride. Takes a max of 5 mins in total.

gee
    Free Member

Rock Shox are very simple to service – well SIDS, Rebas and Revs are anyway… All you need is a hammer, a couple of allen keys, an adjustable, some oil, some grease and a pan to catch some oil.

GB

retro83
    Free Member

odannyboy – Member
    best/cheapest source for oil??

Motorbike shop, just make sure you get 15wt oil without seal swelling additives

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘sus forks whats your maintainence routine?’ is closed to new replies.