• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by s.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Survey – how many unemployed people do you know, compared to 3 years ago ?
  • Midnighthour
    Free Member

0 = 3 years back
    4 = now (including me)

I wondered how widespread unemployment is becoming? I don’t have a big social circle so 4 is a high percentage. All of us were in long term stable jobs with good working histories, but in totally different fields of employment.

coffeeking
    Free Member

1 = 3 years back
    0 = now.

That includes students I’ve got regular contact with as well as staff members and people outside academia.

2 have taken steps into self employment from regular jobs.

Doesn’t seem too bad from my point of view but I must admit some people must be finding it tough, I just don’t know any. Not sure I’d ever classify any job as long term stable in a modern society though.

theboatman
    Free Member

3 years ago – 2 – my neighbours.
    now – 0 – neighbours have moved.

However, I do know about 10 people who took voluntary redundancey or early retirement in public sector cuts who are now either working part time or call themselves retired.

3 years ago – None

Now – None

konagirl
    Free Member

I worked in industry (consultancy) 3 1/2 years ago and they went through their redundancies then (4 tranches between 4 years and 2 years ago). I am now in a public sector building (academia) and the threat of redundancies is only just starting – the first tranch is going ahead now and `reviews’ are underway for the next 3 years, so there will be similar redundancies thereafter. So the fall-out from the Government spending cuts are more spread out than that from the initial recession (i.e. some local authorities took the axe out straight away whereas a lot of Government funded bodies inc. NHS will have their funding gradually cut over the next 4 years).

Personally, 3 years ago: None. Now: 2.

jota180
    Free Member

Just amongst close friends

3 years ago – 0
    Now – 2

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Three years ago – none
    Now – one. A fund manager, unemployed for two whole weeks now! 🙂

samuri
    Free Member

None both then and now.

Harry_the_Spider

Met up with some old friends the other week that I hadn’t seen for a while. Out of the 12 or so round the table 4 of us had lost our jobs in the last 12 months. A solicitor, a fabrics designer, a supermarket produce buyer and an engineer.

peteimpreza

3 years ago zero.

Today zero.

lunge

None and none.

clubber
    Free Member

None then and now.

EDIT Actually, no, one then, none now.

mu3266
    Free Member

I have a pretty small social circle myself but back then, none. Now, none. And my circle of friends is between the ages of 20-22 (not counting forces friends)

mu3266
    Free Member

I have a pretty small social circle myself but back then, none. Now, none. And my circle of friends is between the ages of 20-22 (not counting forces friends)

BoardinBob

My brother in law was unemployed three years ago and he still is today.

Useless fat douchebag.

Gribs

3 years ago none, now one but she took voluntary redundancy with a decent payout to become a full time mum.

ART

3 years ago all of my social circle was employed. Since then, several have taken voluntary redundancy (public sector) and set up as self employed. One friend working in the private sector got made redundant but was pretty much straight back into employment. Oh and I got made redundant (private sector consulting to the public sector mostly) and am now under/ self employed. It’s very variable, but as konagirl points out – a significant proportion of the public sector funding cuts have yet to bite so several people I know in teaching and central government jobs are bracing for the next round of cuts.

s
    Free Member

3 years ago 2.

Today 1

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Survey – how many unemployed people do you know, compared to 3 years ago ?’ is closed to new replies.