Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Surry Hills/North Downs info
  • chopper38
    Free Member

I have been riding the Surrey Hills for 5 years now and have managed to find many of the trails by chatting to fellow mountain bikers.
    There are still a few trails i'd like to find. I understand they have alternative names. The ones I know of are Barry knows best, reservoir dogs, telegraph hill and yogurt pots.
    If you locate my webstie on everytrail via my profile, you will find mapped routes that are downloadable to iphone or gps. I have only completed recording trails at pitch and holmbury and have yet to record other nearby hills.
    The trails I am looking for are…

Secret Squirrel
    Off Camber
    Windy Willows
    Keep the faith (alternative to Telegraph road)
    Ladies Legs
    Xmas Pud/Claw Hammer
    Deer Trail
    Twigs Trail
    Son of Coco
    I should coco
    Mino moto
    Doug’s Trail
    Deathstar
    T Trails

Can anyone help or even record these trails on their gps/iphone by using everytrail. Its free and wors a treat!

Many thanks

Paul

BigAirNig
    Free Member

Maybe drop a line to the guys at Nirvana Cycles in Westcott – they may know the trails …..

chopper38
    Free Member

They do sunday morning rides but I've heard they leave you for dust and wont wait. Super fit.

titusrider
    Free Member

well that depends but i would generally say they are very friendly
    – i think alot of the names you have are different to theirs though 🙂

try them, if youve been riding 5 years and arnt a proper DH boy you will keep up just fine

popstar
    Free Member

T Trails and Xmas Pudding are located on Pitch Hill. I only may guess that Keep the Faith is a double trail running along Telegraph Road, as on group rides we preffer to climb on it instead of fire-roads. Suppose it's a hell a lot of fun riding it down, you could kill yourself there with the speed it gives.

Don't have that huge experience as you in Surrey Hills(been riding around there only for 5months or so), but managed to ride Winterfold, Pitch, Holmbury, Leith and Redlands hills yet. And many well known and some secret trails, would never remember all names of them really.

Shame I don't even know how to upload GPS thingy's even then I have some app on me I-phone. If you based somewhere around WLondon we could team up and take you on rides/exchange knowledge. Or maybe meet up in SH* one day.

chopper38
    Free Member

The new store in Peaslake village called Pedal & spoke do monday and friday evening rides from 6pm. They stay over pitch hill way though.
    I think most of the rides I am looking for are on Leigh and Holmbury.
    Over the last 3 months I've found some superb stuff up at Pitch.
    Sunday morning nirvana it is then!

njee20
    Free Member

This was the route we did on the Surrey Hills STW ride last weekend, that includes the T-trails and Claw Hammer (which is actually on Winterfold, not Pitch). I could describe most of the others, but we'd be here all day without making any sense!

Assuming Keep the Faith is the off camber one below Telegraph, that's very easy to find. Near the beginning a trail crosses the main trail, (from the bottom of Surfer Rosa), if you turn right, that's the other trail, it's basically the only turning off Telegraph.

Many of the others are easy to find, but hard to describe.

chopper38
    Free Member

popstar. You download the app called everytrail. Its pretty straight forward, however, it wont act as a gps like a real gps system. It will tell you where you are in relationship to my highlighted trail though.
    I think Wintrfold is the new fresh hill that all the locals go to now. Watch this space I reckon.
    I think Windy Willows is near Redlands but not 100%.
    I normally park at the youth hostel on horsham road and cycle up to reservoir (see my everytrail link)
    Heading out fri eve at 5pm with a mate if interested.

njee20
    Free Member

A significant part of Winterfold is private land owned by Jim McAllister, who won't let anyone build/ride there. There's a few good bits, but it's not going to be the next Leith. It is much quieter than the others though, as folk don't tend to go that far over.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Secret trails? Dunno, mate… :mrgreen:

popstar
    Free Member

Holmbury doesn't offer that much apart from Yog Pots, Telegraph road, Widow maker (descent towards Leith hill). Leith does have some very nice play-trails around +Summer Lighting, usually on group rides it works like that … Leith Hill+Redlands (under 3-4 hours of riding with tea's) or Peaslake start point with Pitch+Winterfold+Pitch+brake at Peaslake+Holmbury+Leith+Holmbury well known trails (6-8 hours of epic riding) … if you dare to survive after that, you most probably would know majority of all trails.

Ta.

popstar
    Free Member

Chopper38, thanks for invitation … I might join you if I score my choffeur to drive me on that day, fingers crossed. Me thinks need some run in and preparation for SWales group rides trip.

chopper38
    Free Member

njee20, so is clawhammer and t trails over to the left on your map (furthest left)?
    I've uploaded it to my everytrail site and will follow it this weekend.
    As per my everytrail site, I have added weypoints on the map and named them per trail.
    You seem to ride straight into peaslake and then straight up to yogurt pots, then telegraph hill. I get a bit confussed after that.

chopper38
    Free Member

popstar, you know the car park i mean?
    I have a blue ford focus estate and a blue santa cruz heckler. My mate with be riding cannondale in white (cant remember model). either see you in car park or on the trails some time but will be there 5pm friday and weather is meant to be great!

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, it's relatively hard to describe, but Claw Hammer is the trail that crosses Hound House road and heads to the most north-westerly point of the ride, before crossing back over Hound House Road.

The T-trails are the loop to the east of Walking Bottom/Ride way. The climb is the straighter line heading south, then turn left into the more wiggly singletrack.

At the end, there's a 90 degree left turn along a straight fireroad, before a 90 degree right at a crossroads, where there's also a track coming up from the other way and turning right. If you were to turn right out of T2 and go straight you'll get to Deathstar, it's a small gap in the bank opposite.

popstar
    Free Member

Njee20 is a Pro of the place. Chopper if you will see overbiked people on Trails, that most probably would be me with a riding buddie. You may even future in my vidz too! Will look out for Blue SC and white Dale.

chopper38
    Free Member

T-trails are pitch then? I know these trails and are on my everytrail maps.

Does Deathstar spit you out by the side of the graveyward on pitch and then back into the car park?

T2 = T-trails?

chopper38
    Free Member

Njee20,
    The bit over to the very west of your map is winterfold correct? You also seem to make a 'P' shape just prior to Claw Hammer…whats this?
    The reach out to the West before Claw Hammer, is this DH single track?

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, there's multiple 't-trails' ie T1, T2, T1.5/T3 etc. No, Death Star spits you out at the bottom of Ewhurst road in Peaslake, in the farm just after the 'chicane' in the road. It's a bit lame IMO, a gully at the top, that opens into a rooty mass.

Perhaps you're thinking of T3/Graveyard shift which do end at the graveyard, I personally now go down the tarmac road into Peaslake, which is a shame, but there've been complaints about people riding Graveyard shift into the car park at Peaslake, and it's just not that good!

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

THIS Jim McAllister??
    http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-17808917.html

yikes.

chopper38
    Free Member

So deathstar is the bit after the graveyard and the bit before the graveyard is 'graveyard shift' or 'T3'?

njee20
    Free Member

Nah, you do one or the other. They both go down into Peaslake, if you do Deathstar, you don't do T3/Graveyard shift. The bit from the graveyard where you turn left down a few slow little wiggles then down the steep rooty bit is graveyard shift, there's now the option to turn right into a steep roll in too. T3 is the fast bit of singletrack before that.

njee20
    Free Member

Not that Jim McAllister, although impressively he is the first Google Image result!

He owns Dunsfold Park, and takes a fairly dim view of the 'erosion' and 'damage' caused by mountain bikers, he points this out to them by shouting from his Land Rover. Slightly odd.

popstar
    Free Member

Njee20, how dare you say that trail which goes left from GY not that good? Yes, when its dusty dry … and on full-suss it goes like train. But if it's wet or icy … on HT it's a different story, I still remember that fine day when it was biblical rain, roots were so slippery it was a hard-hard job to descend in one piece to car park, and riding last dig which happened to be a dug out drench with stream water flowing from mountains* it did catch many people out! I was that day a riding /cough, … at my best! Ahhh, happy memories.

njee20
    Free Member

I didn't say it was easy, just that it wasn't that good! It's about 20ft long, and as you say, ends with a rather pointless ditch! You do see a lot of crashes there though!

chopper38
    Free Member

njee20, you seem to go down telegraph and then back up. Once at the top you do some strange loop thing. Whats this?
    Your climb that runs adjacent to Telegraph, is that 'keeping the faith'?

chopper38
    Free Member

Last time I was there, some woman was being karted off in an ambulance.
    But your saying Deathstar is a better alternative?

njee20
    Free Member

No, I don't much care for Deathstar either! Depends what you like, it's quite like Graveyard shift really, short, steep, rooty.

T3 is a good trail, fast and flowy, but generally I hug the fence of the graveyard, then head down the tarmac into Peaslake.

Dunno about the name of the climb parallel to Telegraph, that's just always the climb I've done, I wouldn't bother to ride down it. Are any of the climbs named?

chopper38
    Free Member

Dont think so but been told there is an alternative to telegraph hill and is called 'keeping the faith' Heard it was alot better!
    Definately going to check out those Winterfold trails soon!
    If you know any of the other trails in 1st post. Please take gps and record. Would be very much appreciated!

njee20
    Free Member

I'm sure you'll find most of them by just riding with different people!

As I say, there is a very obvious alternative to Telegraph, which you can't miss. We call that Blair Witch, but it's pretty new, so I'm sure it's got lots of names.

chopper38
    Free Member

it is better than telegraph?

Once out of yogurt pots, I turn right then left up onto telegraph hill. Do I take this first section or would I have missed blair witch?

joolsburger
    Free Member

The T trails are easy to find. Go up past the pond and then turn left up the steep climb to the top of pitch keep going straight for a while and you'll come to a crossroads keep going straight to the next cross roads. Look over your left shoulder and you'll see a trail between two trees with a little holly bush. That's the start of the T's. Head down that cross the fire road and about 200 yards in there is a right hander which isn't easy to see, I take that one (although you can go straight on to the fire road and turn right to the crossroads I'm about to describe)and ride down to the fire road, turn left follow the fire road and then take the next left and follow that fire road to a crossroads with a signpost go straight on and on your immediate right you'll see the start of another single track there, follow that all the way past the grave yard at the end of the fence bear left into the tress and follow that down toward the car park, as it gets steep bear right down a steep, rooty but easy rolling drop and mind the ditch.

On Holmbury come off yog pots and head down hill, at cross roads turn left head up there about 100 yards and on your right you'll see the start of a trail, follow that and it's a really funny off camber track all the way down to the car park near the royal oak, it crosses telegraph road so you can turn left and do that if you prefer or you can just ride it out and then climb straight back up on the bridalway to the start of telegraph road and ride that as well.

I know a load of others on Redlands, Leith and stuff but it's really hard to describe them, sorry…

popstar
    Free Member

But that ditch should be ridden!

joolsburger
    Free Member

I just said mind it, not get off!!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Once out of yogurt pots, I turn right then left up onto telegraph hill. Do I take this first section or would I have missed blair witch?

You need to head up the trail that is Telegraph Road itself to begin with. The Blair Witch/Telegram Road etc trail is about 200m up the trail from the main fire road, on the right. It drops down over some roots and is mostly rooty and off camber all the way down. It's a heck of a lot of fun in the wet.

catfood
    Free Member

Am I right in thinking that windy willows runs parallell to Caspers on the left?
    Also is the reservoir dogs area still churned up? Thinking of heading over there tomorrow.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Reservoir dogs looked pretty churned up when I passed it on Monday.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Resevoir Dogs is rideable but there is a fair bit of debris around.

chopper38
    Free Member

reservoir dogs is pointless now the diggers have been through. its never been much cop anyway.
    Windy Willows is on Leith hill I thought

catfood
    Free Member

Agree but it gets you to Barrys

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Surry Hills/North Downs info’ is closed to new replies.