Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Surround sound layout help.
  • stevied
    Free Member

Hopefully moving into the new house soon and starting to think about the layout.
    I’ve got a 5.1 system and the wife wants the TV in the corner of the room. Where’s the best place for the speakers?
    Will be fitting new skirting etc so have a chance to run some cables..
    Here’s the layout:

perchypanther
    Free Member

Point of order….your bifold door appears to fold in three places.

mattyfez

Depends how big the speakers are, front L&R might be tricky in a corner, are they little cube satellites with a sub. or full size floorstanders?

stevied
    Free Member

They’re small Mortdaunt Short surrounds (MS902’s I think). Have a separate sub that can sit behind the TV, if that’s the best place for it..

slowoldman

Sell your wife. Put the TV in the middle of a wall.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Bloody awkward in a corner. If you can put the speakers either side of the TV, but you’re going to be limited on placement of the rears. I always place them behind me and you can adjust the individual volume levels to compensate for the fact they’re not bank in the middle. Though far from ideal you can get some good results with a bit of messing about.

toby1

Flatten the angle of the TV a bit, left and rights should be a bit away from the walk and although they won’t be an equal distance away each that is how I have mine set up and I can’t hear a problem with it.

Rears are at the sides of my single sofa, so not ideal if you are at extreme ends of it, but again fine if you are more central.

RichPenny
    Free Member

TV on wall opposite fire. Sofa in middle of room. Couple of comfy chairs facing the fire.

Cougar

Sell your wife. Put the TV in the middle of a wall.

This is the problem. It’s also the problem with the TV.

Wall-mount the TV above the fire, or forget it entirely and get a soundbar.

Cougar

Actually, TBH, this is broadly my setup. I set up the 5.1 as though the TV was where I just said, wall-mounted speakers in the corners of the room, but offset the centre so that it’s directly under the TV.

I keep meaning to move the telly and centre but that’s effort.

deserter
    Free Member

My wife wanted the tv in a different place when we moved in, she had to nip out for essentials while I was unloading the truck, so I screwed it to the wall so she couldn’t move it lol

No wonder Im always in the dog house

windyg
    Free Member

Take the fire place out and use that wall, that’s what i did, wife likes opens fires, but i like big TV’s in the right place 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Surround sound layout help.’ is closed to new replies.