Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Surrey Hills/North Downs Rides – den building location with the kids
  • geetee1972
    Free Member

Hi guys

We’re taking the kids for a ‘Stig of the Dump’ day today since we’ve just finished reading them the story. We want to do den building, build a camp fire (OK a trangia set), make tools etc.

Looking for a location recommendation; close to a car park (as the youngest is only two) and preferably on the North Downs/chalk and flint side of the A25.

Ranmore Common is the obvious choice but the wife has bad memories (long story) so need another suggestion if possible.

Thanks and happy trails for what looks to be a fine day!

notmyrealname
    Free Member

How about somewhere along the North Downs Way as you head east from Newlands Corner carpark?

aP
    Free Member

Somewhere around here?

bubs

We generally go to headley heath or box hill for camp building. Box hill also has a kids outdoor play trail with balance beams, see saws etc. Some pretty impressive camps partially built to give a headstart.

geetee1972
    Free Member

aP that’s pretty much where we ended up.

Fabulous day, hope everyone else enjoyed the fine weather. We walked through the woods looking for ‘Stig of the Dump’, then struck camp under a mighty fallen beech tree. We made a camp fire using tinder and a spark, cooked meatballs in sauce, dunked bread, boiled water for hot chocolate, built a shelter, fabricated tools and bows and arrows, climbed trees, burnt hands, pulled splinters and got loam in our shoes.

Great day,

Gotama
    Free Member

Curious rather that about to moan about people making fires…but what are the rules for little fires on the north downs? I presume hurtwood is a no no as it’s private but is Boxhill/Ranmore different because it is national trust? Also have a two year old who would probably like this sort of thing soon but want to avoid being shouted at by an irate ranger.

geetee1972
    Free Member

I had that conversation with my wife (she’s far more ‘rule bound’ than I am).

I would imagine that if a ranger caught you they would ask you to put it out and tell you not to do it again. Then again, when was the last time you ever saw a ranger?

I’m more of the opinion that taking a very sensible approach to building (bearing in mind it’s only spring and not a ‘tinder box’ out there) and leaving nothing but footprints while also giving your kids important life experiences far outweighs anything else.

stany
    Free Member

If you’re unsure of locations, try despatching the kids to http://www.thesurreyhillsadventurecompany.com/. They’re a fairly new set up in the Surrey Hills and often operate around Belmont School.

McHamish
    Free Member

There’s a place I used to ride between Boxhill and Ranmore Common where there are WW2 bunkers…you’ve got a ready made den right there.

Can’t remember exactly where it was though…

geetee1972
    Free Member

There are quite a few ‘bunkers’ around Ranmore and the surrounding area (on the left as you head up White Down for example and another one in the valley east of Combe Lane).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills/North Downs Rides – den building location with the kids’ is closed to new replies.