Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Surrey hills trails- what are these called?
  • hora
    Free Member

A long overdue revisit to the Surrey hills today. Off Pitch hill there is a trail that has doubles then ends with a mudbath quagmire descent- climb up the other side and another trail keeps the elevation and crosses a couple of fire roads before coming out by the side of a picket fence of a graveyard ending in a narrow tight singletrack next to that hut/bikeshop in Peaslake. What are they called? Awesome even in the slop.

Barry knows best was good. Better than I remembered and Yoghurt pots also made me smile.

Lots of Bronsons abound today including a group of 10ish riders all on carbon Santa Cruz’s of some form! 😀

Gawd I miss the area

leegee

The second one is Graveyard rollercoaster and John the baptist.

sofabear
    Free Member

First one could be Proper Bo but it only has one proper double, the second double is so small that even I can do it. You can finish Proper Bo bearing left into short a steep-ish descent to a fire road or by bearing right up the hill to another fire road. Don’t remember it being like a quagmire today though (though I’m comparing it to other properly sloppy trails).

Yoghurt Pots was good today, a lot less gloop than a couple of weeks ago. The top section of berms at the start of Barry’s is getting quite bad for braking bumps, in fact it was almost a pot hole when I did it today.

hora
    Free Member

This had 3-4 doubles

Gotama
    Free Member

should have turned left into the holly bush at the end of the second one. Throws you out in the car park.

The first one sounds a bit like supernova but it doesn’t really end in a quagmire. Unless you’re talking about the new ish jump trail with decent drop at the end but doesn’t sound like you’d ride that and then mention that Barry’s was good as they’re a bit at odds with each other. Certainly ends in a massive sloppy mess though.

hora
    Free Member

Gotama- I know the left turn, drop over roots into bombhole end. I prefer the cheeky hidden singletrack in front of the church gates personally.

After the doubles the trail has thick mud ruts steeply descending for 50m’s back onto the firetrail

Gotama
    Free Member

You mean the footpath…..

Runs from the very top of pitch? Flat ish and flowy at the top which runs into a pair of closely spaced 8 ish foot doubles followed by about three more little tables? You could have ridden that and then swerved off right before the drop as that’s a big muddy rut way out.

hora
    Free Member

Bingo!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I think you’re talking about a trail called Captain Clunk.

As someone said above, it’s usually a bog at the start, few flowing berms, a few small doubles, then some odd shaped tables, a smaller stepdown, then a larger one with a landing that looks like it was shaped with a hand grenade.

I found out the hard way, hit that blind, didn’t quite expect it to be as soft as it was. 🙂

Anyone else found Brendan & Sams Rampage practice trail off the side of Indian Summer? That’s a fairly committing line…

Gotama
    Free Member

Brendan and Sams rampage trail….

No, but I’m now going to have a look see out of curiosity.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@hob nob, yes indeed. When you watch the video and then see it for real its definiteoy “ooh err” (I assume we are speaking of the same trail)

Yes I miss it too @hora, it really was wonderful to have had that on the doorstep and the xc riding is excellent too. Nirvana Cycles is correctly named. Barry/Golden Birdies gets a lot of critisim but its always fun and as its quite pedally you get to the bottom tuckered out

sofabear
    Free Member

jambalaya – Member

Yes I miss it too @hora, it really was wonderful to have had that on the doorstep and the xc riding is excellent too. Nirvana Cycles is correctly named. Barry/Golden Birdies gets a lot of critisim but its always fun and as its quite pedally you get to the bottom tuckered out

Ain’t that the truth, it’s deceptively pedally.

Haven’t spotted the rampage trail that’s been mentioned. Saying that, sounds a bit too hardcore for me. Rode Charlie Bronson full length yesterday for the first time ever – that was fun. 🙂

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Its been a few weeks since I have been over to Hills – been riding around the punchbowl more.

Is it just me, or have the runs like Eric and the like got harder? Last time I was on the top of Pitch, I had some definite mincing moments on runs that I used to be fine with. Seems that whole slope has been developed a lot more.

Sofa, did you do summer madness while you were that way?

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No, but I’m now going to have a look see out of curiosity.

It’s worth a look, and it is actually rideable, once you get your head around the first gap jump over the edge of the cliff (and the fact you would probably fall 50ft before you hit anything if you got it wrong).

It’s certainly more exposed than anything else up there i’ve tried!

sofabear
    Free Member

teamhurtmore – Member

Sofa, did you do summer madness while you were that way?

Nope, more because I was looking for Lovely Legs (or Lady Legs, can never remember which one is on that side of the Winterfold). Stumbled upon the “full” Charlie Bronson by accident as I normally join the trail from the road.

I ran out of time to go back and do SM unfortunately.

teamhurtmore – Member

Is it just me, or have the runs like Eric and the like got harder? Last time I was on the top of Pitch, I had some definite mincing moments on runs that I used to be fine with. Seems that whole slope has been developed a lot more.

I’ve never done Eric so can’t comment on that run but I was on the steep Pitch run in July and there didn’t look to be much there, certainly on the run down toward the fire road which leads to Curly Wurly.

Fast forward to Christmas, ventured over to that steep bit of Pitch and there looked to have been a lot of new stuff – sizeable drops and jumps.

I keep meaning to go looking for Thick n Creamy too.

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

It’s worth looking, there is probably 10/12 different trails down that side of Pitch, you can loop round & ride them one after the other.

T&C + Sneaky Fox probably being the better two, although not many seem to ride the latter any more.

sofabear
    Free Member

Hob Nob – Member

It’s worth looking, there is probably 10/12 different trails down that side of Pitch, you can loop round & ride them one after the other.

T&C + Sneaky Fox probably being the better two, although not many seem to ride the latter any more.

Thanks for the steer, never heard of Sneaky Fox. I’ll probably venture up that way on Sunday. 🙂

hora
    Free Member

Evening. Where can I find all these! I need to come down again 🙁 ….. 😀

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

Strava’s probably your best bet.

Or hook up with some locals.

sofabear
    Free Member

@hora – happy to show you around when you’re next in the area. Hopefully by then I’ll have found T+C and Sneaky Fox. 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Surrey hills trails- what are these called?’ is closed to new replies.