Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Surrey Hills tomorrow?
  • psychle
    Free Member

Is it going to be a slushy mess? Or a nicely frozen white winter wonderland? Got the day off and fancy a play in the snow, so hoping it’s the latter! Anyone been out today?

Also, anyone fancy joining me tomorrow? Feel free to pipe up, always nice to have company 🙂

psychle
    Free Member

Dang, just looked at the overnight forecast, -10 in Dorking?? So… it’s obviously going to be frozen solid then!

joolsburger
    Free Member

Last time I tried it up there in this weather make it about 100 yards from the car and basically couldn’t ride, no traction at all.

heihei

A mate and I rode around Peaslake on Friday through to about 3pm and it was good fun. Stuff like Barrys was riding really well. That said, we’ve probably had 2-3″ of snow since then so it will be touch and go. I’d also note that the roads around there are sheet ice in places, as the snow from late Thursday thawed then froze as water, with the snow then on top of it! Anything with a slight gradient will be “interesting” to say the least!

piha
    Free Member

I’ve just got back from riding the North Downs around Guildford, rode from my front door as the roads aren’t too clever round here. The trails had plenty of snow on them and haven’t had too much traffic which made them pretty good for riding. It was hard work in the snow but worthwhile. A few mtb tyre tracks out there as well so I wasn’t the only one.

joolsburger
    Free Member

That’s interesting maybe worth heading up there tomorrow.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Was going to ride there today, but was ‘on call’ to take a friend to hospital as she started going into labour this morning.

Really gutted I couldn’t make it now as it would have been my last ride before christmas.

glenp
    Free Member

The Holmbury road is treacherous, and getting into a car park will not be easy either. Haven’t been to Peaslake, but there again neither would I for a non emergency. So, if anyone does drive here please park somewhere sensible. Am going to walk to Holmbury in a wee while – I personally wouldn’t bother with a bike in this much snow.

psychle
    Free Member

I’ll be catching the train to Dorking, plan is to make my way up to Leith Hill Tor area, just looking to meander around and enjoy the snowy countryside really… or am I wasting my time do you think?

heihei

Here’s what it was like on Friday……
    Surrey Hills

psychle
    Free Member

Yep… that’s what I’m looking for! Looks sweet, nice video 🙂

I.am.so.there tomorrow 8) It’s going to be cold though!

parkaboy
    Free Member

Nice video 🙂

There was quite a bit more snow today though. It’s nice and cold so no slush and plenty of grip.

geetee1972
    Free Member

HeiHei has a real talent for this creative kind of thing; far more than someone with an egineering degree ought to!

nuke

Or a nicely frozen white winter wonderland?

This. Particular given it’s expected to be freezing overnight.

Just cycled on the NDW out from Dorking towards Newlands then down and back on Route 22. It was fine: all rideable, nicely packed down and surprisingly fast.

Its when it’s starts to melt and the snow turns to slush that it becomes a nightmare imo.

Here’s you go…

turboferret

We were out on Friday too, conditions were great – parked in Westcot with no problems.

Nice to meet you briefly at Peaslake heihei, we had a mad Labrador in our group. Certainly looks like you enjoyed your day of riding 🙂

Cheers, Rich

njee20
    Free Member

The fireroads were bloody hard work today, but most of the singletrack was fine, BKB and Yoghurt Pots were fine! Hard going, but pretty good fun. In parts the roads were icy, wouldn’t drive up to Peaslake unless you’ve got a 4×4 or sommat.

glenp
    Free Member

Road update: Hollow Lane from Wotton Manor Farm to Abinger Common is salted – so you could try park at Abinger Hatch is you fancy. Holmbury Road is untreated. If you do turn down into Abinger Common, dead slow please, because the bit through the village is untreated too.

Having said that, it is forecast to be -9 tonight, which could be enough to freeze anything.

glenp
    Free Member

Nice video, by the way. That was before it snowed though!

geetee1972
    Free Member

Turboferret – I was with HeiHei on Friday. Was it you I was speaking to at the end of the day? The girl in your group was saying she’d taken a nasty spill on the ice on the road; I was wondering if you got back OK.

turboferret

GeeTee,

Were you on the Mojo HD? I was on the Orange Sub 5.

We split off from the couple with the dog after lunch and headed back towards Westcot, but didn’t have any offs, clearly weren’t trying hard enough 😆

Cheers, Rich

geetee1972
    Free Member

I was riding the Mojo when we set off but that’s HeiHei’s bike; we were having a bit of a swap for the afternoon. We rode over Holmbury in the snow, which was entertaining! When we got back we saw the couple with the dog and she was saying how she’d had hit the road pretty hard.

Funny really as the same thing happened to us; the trails were fine but the first metre of tarmac and I was on my arse!

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills tomorrow?’ is closed to new replies.