Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Surrey Hills – SS or geared?
  • BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Haven't ridden much for ages but going on the STW Surry Hills ride on Sunday. Normally use my SS around Lordswood and the New Forest but thinking that with the word 'Hills' in the title I might be better with gears.

Anyone ride there regularly?

Gears – yeah or nay?

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I ride there regularly and mainly ride gears (9speed) although have ridden ss a few times. Plenty of singlespeed riders around there. If you're fit it'll be no problem.

69er
    Free Member

No need. If you're relatively bike fit.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

Gears it is then

😉

Or perhaps the fixie, it was fun around Swinley

rnewell1973
    Free Member

If you do go SS just make you go at the back so everyone doesn't have to walk when you get off and push.

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

If you do go SS just make you go at the back so everyone doesn't have to walk when you get off and push.

If you do go geared just make you go at the back so everyone doesn't have to walk when you get off and push.

wwaswas

I did the Wiggle mtb ride around Leith Hill etc (34 miles in total) on a single speed (32:18)

None of the hills were unrideable (except perhaps the last but that was more due to leg fail than bike) although a couple of times I was held up by geared riders and nearly stalled.

njee20
    Free Member

It's certainly hillier than Swinley, but not horrific, definitely doable if you're relatively strong. Whether it's more enjoyable than gears is another question!

grantway
    Free Member

Would say gears as there are Three large hills and
    some sides are steeper than the other side of the hill side.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills – SS or geared?’ is closed to new replies.