Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)
  • Surrey Hills Sportif – oh dear riders
  • vincienup
    Free Member

jamesfts – Member

Seen some shocking riding on the road, the worst being a group of riders head down sprinting passed some poor sod on a horse – taking up both sides of the road as i was coming the other way.

Saying that I see far more dangerous driving on a much more frequent (almost daily!) basis.

If it was just odd groups it would be ok/better, if it was just Sportives, it might be more understandable, but there’s a *.wheelers club one place I live that I’ve seen blocking an entire road width with their pack – both directions – on a Sunday morning ride

As an organised Club ride in Club kit, this is bad on a number of levels. It’s clearly teaching poor behaviour but it’s also appalling advertising and PR. I much prefer riding offroad and only really ride road for transport but I don’t really want to cope with the fallout of people wound up by fools like these when I do.

Interesting point which may be completely wrong: a horsey acquaintance of mine tells me that they can’t take more than 20 horses out riding on the road in one go without informing the Police and getting clearance/possibly Traffic management. TBH, I’m not convinced this isn’t a decent idea – after all roads are to be shared with other road users and other types of convoy are already legislated against. Sportives are milking it somewhat.

geetee1972
    Free Member

How on earth did we manage to segway from Sportives in Surrey to horse riding?

njee20
    Free Member

‘segue’, not the same as the crazy thing you move on by leaning.

scaredypants

Some segways, (quite a lot) earlier

geetee1972
    Free Member

😳

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Sportives are milking it somewhat.

Rubbish. THey’re usually nicely spread out and it’s just a matter of passing one or two at a time.
    There is usually something going on in Surrey’s countryside, on any weekend of the year.
    Cycling is one of the lesser “aggravations”. At the moment it’s bunches of teenagers wandering around, walking 4 abreast , laden down with packs for their Duke of Edinburgh awards. Every weekend for three months. It’s part and parcel of living in the first proper countryside outside London.
    The worst has to be the Fox hunt; arrogant w….rs parking wherever they feel like, standing around in the road, and dogs running everywhere. but that’s traditional…

Viewing 6 posts - 121 through 126 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills Sportif – oh dear riders’ is closed to new replies.