Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Surrey Hills routes
  • crankbreaker

Heading down to try and find some riding round Surrey hills tomorrow but don’t know the area that well. Have found there are some routes near thi Wotton Hatch pub so we’re meeting there. Anyone know of some good routes about 2-3 hours long starting from there?

rewski
    Free Member

I’d head over to walking bottom car park in peaslake and follow others over pitch hill and winterfold

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

That.

Ask someone if you can tag along, if you don’t know where you’re going you can end up riding a long way on nothing interesting.

Hicksy
    Free Member

I’m happy to show you about tomorrow if you like (as long as it’s not too early!).

As the others said, Walking Bottom would probably be a better starting place (I always find Leith Hill more boggy than the other hills). Feel free to email me if you fancy it (address in profile).

jambalaya
    Free Member

Holmbury is typically the driest hill. Leith/Winterfold always boggy in the wet and Pitch somewhere in the middle.

Walking Bottom car park is always busy (i.e. full), you will be better off parking elsewhere and riding there. There is a map of Hurtmore car parks – google it. The one half way up Radnor Road out of Peaslake is generally quiet, from there you can either ride to the top of Holmbury, up from car park turn left off Radnor road at metal gate by underground reservoir to meet other riders and ask, or turn right at same gate to pick up trail Barry Knows Best (which is so well known I can’t possibly get flamed for mentioning it) and then ride to Walking Bottom.

If you like what you see you can join guided rides or shop rides (from Nirvana for example)

EDIT: If you want to ride from Wotton Hatch, then get yourself to the top of Leith via Bridleway and Woolverns Lane (some single track next to barbed wire fence but be careful of people using it as a descent, the lane is sandy so rubbish to ride/up down). From top you can meet some riders and look for Summer Lightening (official m arked trail) which you can follow most of the way down and/or some other trails which run down towards the Pub in Coldharbour. There are a few bomb hole areas to play around in – just ask. Afterwards for a bit of XC you can cross the A25 and follow Surrey Cycle Way (number 22 ?) through Abinger Roughs to and then cut back to the car.

Take a map, it’s easy to get lost.

If you fancy it you can roll into Deliverance – a big steepish section with some roots and a tree to crash into 🙂

crankbreaker

Cool, cheers for the help, will have a look a bit further down the road then.

Hicksy, thanks for the offer, we’re planning to get down there for about 9 so might be a bit early, if you see a guy on a BFe, one on a 456 and one on a superlight hopelessly lost later in the afternoon that’ll be us, point us in the right direction please!

joefm

Walking bottom car park will be fine as it’s probably not great weather.

Suggest you look on strava. All the trails are on there so you can piece together a route.

Hicksy
    Free Member

No problem CB – I’ll be about from about 10.00 – I’ll say hello if I see you – I’ll be on a blue Honzo. Have fun!

mashiehood
    Free Member

im possibly out on sunday, report back on conditions

danbo
    Free Member

Yeah walking bottom should be fine at that time. Best place to start.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills routes’ is closed to new replies.