Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Surrey Hills – map needed
  • bigsi
    Free Member

In particular one showing where Telegraph Road is.

If anyone knows of where i can find one on-line can they please post a link.

Ta

Bigsi

P.S. I know you can get them from Nivarna Cycles but i won't get to drop in there before hand.

brakes
    Free Member

there are no trails on the Surrey Hills

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

If you can find parklife from the top, look for the telegraph poles at the end.

ps, its not that good.

woodsman
    Free Member

Telegrapgh Road is pretty uninteresting, to say the least. Park at Holmbury St Mary near the green, take the lane by the side of the pub, just before the top of the climb up from there, take the first right, that is the begining of Telegraph Road, it crosses two fireroads.

heihei

If you think it's dull, you ain't riding it fast enough!

Nobby

THIS may help.

AndyP
    Free Member

DezB
    Free Member

Hampshire is underwater?

(Woodsman's right btw, and he ain't slow 🙂 )

wormhole

they ought to try floating crust eh woody?? bedding in now!

woodsman
    Free Member

There is an interesting descent that crosses Telegraph Road, it's simply known as 'off camber' it may have been given a proper name by now, as it's been around for a year or two.? My faves are 'all the pies' and 'two head dog' but they're more descent than singletrack runs, and at Leith, 'Windy Willow' then into 'Valoria' old classics but still very nice!

Wormhole, ah yes 'floating crust' is bedding in nicely isn't it, glad you're enjoying riding it – I have noticed the extra tyre tracks. 🙂

Sussex is underwater too!

brooess
    Free Member

That off camber one I've christened 'Keep The Faith' cos if you just hold on tight and stay off the brakes it's cleanable. Since I found it I've not done Telegraph Poles, it's way more fun. Haven't done it in winter yet tho, it would be a slightly different proposition!

freeridenick
    Free Member

"off camber" used to be really good, but has been ridden so much that there are loads of shortcut lines appearing cutting out the "off camber" bits! which one do you call floating crust?

PS, I like the name "keep the faith" !

woodsman
    Free Member

Yeah I know, I've ridden it a couple of times this year, and it's not as good as it was when we first stumbled across it (maybe not THE first) on a night ride, must be two years ago now – still quite fun though. 'keep the faith' – why not, just don't ride it whilst holding prayer beads! 😉

'floating crust' ah just bit of in house banter that, it isn't in Surrey even, a bit of singletrack I cut on my 'ride from the door' patch in Sussexshire.

br
    Free Member

Telegraph Road is not really in the Surrey Hills, but the North Downs.

The Surrey Hills (around the Devils Punchbowl) has also some good riding – look on an OS map for bridleways south of Milford.

glenp
    Free Member

Since you mention it, b r – Holmbury, Leith and Pitch are part of the same hills as Devil's Punchbowl and aren't North Downs. North Downs are the other side of the A25 and chalk/flint/clay, whereas what I would say is Surrey Hills is the sandstone/sand/loam to the South of A25.

For anyone who wants to learn their way around Holmbury (well, Pitch and Leith too) I suggest getting your head around the way the valleys radiate to the North from the tops.

freeridenick
    Free Member

your absolutely right glenp.

bigsi
    Free Member

cheers for the responses guys, i think i know where it is now as i know where yoghut pots/parklife start and end.

b r – i used to live in Elstead so rode the devils punch bowl area lots back in the late 80's on my muddy fox courier *goes all misty eyed*

woodsman – are you Pete off of Brighton-MTB, if so I'll see you this evening as i think me and Dave are heading over to ride Stanmer with you lot.

so where is "windy willow" on Leith Hill ?

brooess
    Free Member

'Keep the Faith' – spread the word. It'll be the first time I've got to name a trail 🙂

wormhole

glenp is right about the surrey hill / north downs, leith-pitch-holmbury is very much surrey hills!! i rode over the other side of the A25 this weekend just gone, called in at the cafe on newlands for tea and cake (if you can get close to the counter for bikers!! bit like box hill) then headed back to pitch via Albury & Farley Green, mainly coz i knew peaslake etc would be v busy on a sunny sunday. nice to go out over there but not as much singletrack imo. good day out tho.

wormhole

by the way Woody, we have added a bit not far from yours, if you fancy meeting up for a look get in touch.

woodsman
    Free Member

Sounds good Wormy, interested to see that, I'll probably have time for a daylight spin late tomorrow afternoon (Fri) if you're about. My email is in my profile – get in touch we'll organise something even if you can't make tomorrow. 🙂

Yes, Bigsi I am the very same. I know who you are! and Dave, see you both later for beer, biking and bbq but not necessarilly in that order. Cool!

dalepoint
    Free Member
    bent_udder
    Free Member

Keep The Faith is a better name than Locals Only or Secret Squirrel, which is what I've known it as for the past three and a half years. And yes, it's now quite spanked.

Consider your name adopted, Brooess. Even if the naming convention is generally towards slightly more rock 'n roll songs than George Michael's round here. Still, each to their own. 😀

freeridenick
    Free Member

udder, the 1990s are back in fashion at the moment anyway…

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I've been riding 'Keep The Faith' all summer – so much more fun than Telegraph Road.

Managed to clean it in the wet a couple of weeks back, which made me quite proud.

AndyRT
    Free Member

does anyone know if the switchbacks on winterfold are still mutilated after forestry workings?

shortcut

Yes, switchbacks in winterfold were still horrible 2 weeks back and aren't going to be better until someone does something with it! Doesn't help we aren't meant to be riding there! 🙄

AndyRT
    Free Member

never knew. Saw no signs and met no angry land owners with shotguns, just various walkers and dodging motocrossers! Is it more fun without a silencer on a bike?

freeridenick
    Free Member

shame that as someone built a nice little trail in there, hopefully it will get cleared soon!

brooess
    Free Member

Erm. George Michael? If you don't mind, I'm not jey!

Bon Jovi, actually.

bent_udder
    Free Member

Broo, sorry about that. I can't tell the difference between all those blow dried, stubbly mid 90s pop stars. 😛

Nice name for a trail, still.

grantway
    Free Member

Think Barry knows best is the best one.

Telegraph not worth the energy
    The Yougart Pots/ Roller Coaster is brill

Or the end of Summer Lightning is good too.

There arnt maps as such but do google
    mtb surrey hills and you will get a few on there.
    More like word by word maps.

Well worth a go and also try Swinley Forest near Windsor

grantway
    Free Member

Think the shop at Peaslake sells a map

catfood
    Free Member

The second half of Telegraph is fun if you really spank it.

grantway
    Free Member

Yer catfood why did you call yourself that?
    The end is very much like the end of Summer Lightning

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills – map needed’ is closed to new replies.