Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Surrey Hills – Best Car Park to explore the singletrack from
  • Paceman
    Free Member

Surrey Hills – Best Car Park to explore the singletrack from

Planning to head there next weekend to hunt down Barry Knows Best, Yoghurt Pots, Summer Lightning etc.

Which would be the best car park to start from?

bigdaddy

You want to start at Peaslake car park near the church. Then you can start and finish at the cake shop 😀 as well as being close to all those trails. Many many more trails just as good, but not as well known too. Enjoy.

glenp
    Free Member

Not a bad choice. Anywhere but actually along the road in the village, which drives residents mad, understandably.

If you start in Peaslake and go over Holmbury Hill and up Leith Hill (to the far side to Summer Lightning etc) and then make your may back you get to finish off with BKB, which is by far the best track at the moment, due to the conditions.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Paceman
    Free Member

Was originally thinking of parking at Holmbury Hill car park, but Peaslake is sounding good.

How’re the trails running at the mo’? mud tyres needed?

glenp
    Free Member

Don’t know about “needed”. I never switch tyres – it’s more slippery in the winter is all. Everywhere apart from the properly built sections of trail is puddled and muddy. Some the wiggly stuff hidden away in the woods will get even worse if ridden in these conditions. The fire roads are fine though, so getting around in general is simple enough.

catfood
    Free Member

Or you can park in Balchins Lane in Westcott or White Downs car park along pilgrims way at the bottom of Ranmore, that way you finish the day on a nice down hill by doing Holmbury first then over to Leith and do Caspers and the like and finish off with Summer Lightning and carry on through the woods and taking the path along the fence to the bridleway to the A25.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

i agree with big daddy. that’s where we always park. there’s quite a lot to do on pitch hill too so the car park near the church is ideal. also then if something goes wrong it’s downhill all the way back

atlaz
    Free Member

Paceman – You’re welcome to tag along with the group I ride with if you want. Not sure if I’ll be riding this weekend but they certainly will be. Email in profile etc

spacemonkey

I’d park at Starvael (Leith Hill). You can at least start with the downhill section into Holmbury > do everything around there and Peaslake/Winterfold > head back to Leith (climbing the same section you sped down earlier) > do SL et al > return to Starvael. Simples.

Saves having to climb right from the start, which is usually the way it is with Holmbury. Although the sandy CP near the pond (nr the fort) is also a good call.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I like car park 9 on Holmbury. It’s a nice gentle climb to the top from there and you can take the pots, keep the faith, telegraph road and a little twisty steep bit down to the car at the end which is a nice way to finish wit a smile.

glenp
    Free Member

Quite why this doesn’t centre around which pub to finish at I don’t know!

There’s really only one pub in Surrey Hills at the moment – Kings Head, Holmbury.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills – Best Car Park to explore the singletrack from’ is closed to new replies.