Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Surrey Hills – altitude gain question
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Can any of you lovely folks who use Strava, Endomondo etc provide me with the following information?

– The height gain from the main Peaslake car park to the top of Pitch Hill.
    – The same, but for Holmbury Hill from Peaslake village.

Cheers.

nedrapier

Google earth? Or so map in bikehike route planner or bing maps?

Mbnut
    Free Member

– The height gain from the main Peaslake car park to the top of Pitch Hill.

382ft is the height gain from Peaslake Store to the top of Pitch Hill.

– The same, but for Holmbury Hill from Peaslake village.

410ft is the height gain from Peaslake Store to the top of Holmbury Hill.

Those are the height gains rather than the height ridden with the undulations of the terrain etc.

These numbers are according to Strava via my phone, hope that helps.

smatkins1
    Free Member

I get similar, but slightly different measurements. Same as Mbnut these are height gains opposed to height ridden.

From Peaslake car pak to the top of Pitch I measure 93m (305ft).

From Peaslake store to the top of Holmbury I measure 130m (426ft).

I assume you intended to ask for measurements from two different start locations, the car park and the village?

timmys

Going old school and looking at the contour lines on an OS map I’d say from Walking Bottom CP to the top of Pitch 122 m (400 ft) and village to the top of Holmbury is 136 m (446 ft).

mikey74
    Free Member

Cheers folks

jambalaya
    Free Member

FWIW Strata and Endomdo are not terribly reliable for height gain and loss, it’s typicaly on a circular ride to have differing figures this is due to inherent unreliability of GPS calculated altitude. That being said the figures above are the ballpark, imo the typical routes up both hills don’t include a lot of undulation, they are pretty consistently up

deadkenny
    Free Member

Strava do a correction based on elevation mapping data, though it takes a while for them to apply it and I think if your device measures with a barometer then it takes that in preference (even if they might be out of calibration or affected by weather).

Never seems consistent. Mine varies each week, same route with a Garmin. Friends with Garmins come out with different figures, and phone different again.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills – altitude gain question’ is closed to new replies.