Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Surrey Hills
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Are they a bit of a mess at the moment? I refer to mainly Pitch and Holmbury hills.

njee20
    Free Member

Yes.

timpol
    Free Member

Yea very wet, a massive change from a few weeks ago.

gee
    Free Member

I rode Supernova, Barry’s and Yoghurt Pots today. Barry’s is blocked by 6-8 massive trees between the bombhole and s-bends and the bottom of supernova between the bit that crosses the fire road and car park is also blocked by massive trees. The top section was clear. These 3 weren’t actually muddy at all. I imagine Rad Lane and the others round there will also be dry ish but don’t know if they are blocked.

Was glad to be on the cross bike as the fire roads are a right mess – if you don’t mind doing bits on the road and steer clear of Winterfold it’ll be ok.

GB

tyredbiker
    Free Member

Did plenty on holmbury and pitch and it was running surprisingly well. Few puddles in some of the berms but I didn’t even get that muddy and wasn’t avoiding them. Didn’t bother doing BKB as I had heard trees were down and the bottom of supernova isn’t that great anyway, did 4 runs on holmbury no problem- except a deer that almost took me out!

Also a BIG thank you to the chap who gave me a quick link outside pedal and spoke when it was shut. Had a cracking ride thanks to you!

mashiehood
    Free Member

Ride yesterday was a mixed bag, some places slow and boggy, others have had so much rain the mud has washed away to reveal a gravel / stony ground. All rideable but for the sake of the terrain, I will stay away until we have had a sustained dry period.

gee
    Free Member

Update today… It’s the same. Everything is still blocked. Trails not in bad shape – the soil has mostly washed away leaving a rocky/sandy base.

GB

JCL
    Free Member

The UK attitude to raping trails never fails to amaze.

gee
    Free Member

I rode one trail which was bone dry. Hardly raping. Was on the cross bike and just popped into the woods for a look.

GB

deadkenny
    Free Member

Trails are there to be ridden whatever the weather 🙂 . The best ones, at least the ones outside of trail centre trails, are constantly evolving and are different every time you ride. The amount of erosion is not as damaging as claimed, and nature has a great way of recovering when conditions improve. The only problem is with people not riding through the centre of muddy pools but going around them as you get trail creep and damage to the edges, plus it turns sweet singletrack into dull doubletrack.

Don’t think I could stand the US rule of staying off trails in the wet in case of damage. We’d never ride! 😀

Besides if we didn’t ride them the ramblers would stomp all over them and the damage would be worse 😉

JCL
    Free Member

I wonder what the trail builders would say?

mashiehood
    Free Member

in the 15 years of riding surrey hills, they are not in bad shape despite the number of winter riders, the car parks were packed last sunday. I have to admit im torn, one part of me says stay away but the sunday morning calls from the hills has me sleep walking to the start in Ranmore!

Sui
    Free Member

Not a lot unless it’s yp, all others fair game…

mattjg
    Free Member

I wonder what the trail builders would say?

They’d say “We made these trails go ride them”.

Was over there today, nothing to stop anybody going if you don’t mind wet feet, tho I did have to abandon bike and swim for it on the big berm of Secret Santa. It was quite fun actually, and bear in mind a lot of the puddles are deeper than you think.

mattjg
    Free Member

The UK attitude to raping trails never fails to amaze.

I don’t even know what this means.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Trail centre trails should be designed for all weather though that kind of surface suffers from wear and tear when they break down and mud gets into them. They are eroded badly by riding them in poor conditions, but requires the centres to close them and carry out maintenance really, not tell people to not ride them for the winter.

But more natural style trails vary all the time and many are maintained as a communal effort with no particular ownership. If it needs some work or drainage, anyone can just go and help out.

That big berm pool on Secret Santa is nuts 😀 . Knee deep the other week. That needs some work though to provide drainage or redesign it. Riding it hasn’t caused the problem.

Anyway – state of the Hurtwood at the moment – http://hurtwoodranger.wordpress.com/2014/01/02/storm-damage/

blooddonor
    Free Member

No I think it’s something to do with the weather!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills’ is closed to new replies.