• This topic has 79 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by jet26.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)
  • Surrey Hills
  • acidtest
    Free Member

If you come up to it slow you just can’t process all the different scary bits in time! End up bottling it and into the brambles. Once you know what to expect and the right line it’s just a matter of speed and then scrubbing the speed as you land in time for the next rut.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

best done on a dry winter’s day jambs

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Haven’t ridden St Martha’s for a while. very sandy but some good trails over there. Don’t forget to add llamas to the list of other trail users to be careful of when riding around those trails (surely you’ve seen the llama walkers around there?)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    jambalaya
    Free Member

When I have tried to jump it I have ended up clipping (well crashing into) the side with bars and a massive comedy wipe out. Also OTB in a big way on another go. Given there are bits of brick in the gully too I formally retired from trying to ride that bit and just enjoy the rest.

acidtest
    Free Member

lol llama walkers! Heard it all now!

acidtest
    Free Member

When I have tried to jump it I have ended up clipping (well crashing into) the side with bars and a massive comedy wipe out. Also OTB in a big way on another go. Given there are bits of brick in the gully too I formally retired from trying to ride that bit and just enjoy the rest.

That’s exactly why I won’t ride it on my own. I’ve come off twice but luckily nothing bad except a few bramble scratches.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Annoying thing about Chantries is it’s a perfect route through from/to Shalford Park along the Pilgrims Way. Makes no sense to make it all off limits to bikes especially with pretty wide bridleways through, and I do wonder if it’s even legal. Who’s signs are they? Council, landowner or NIMBY ramblers?

Gotama
    Free Member

If you’re peaslake based is it worth exploring over to st marthas or are they more of the ‘nice to do a few on the way somewhere’ trails?

That issue up there ^^^ Is the run in really slow or can just hop the lot with a bit of speed? That said the landing looks awkwardly narrow.

Re drum and base…there’s been loads of people doing uplifts with vans there recently. I drive that way home and on sunny evenings there was almost always somewhere there.

nuke

Ive always thought of the chutey path as one to just tick off…its the narrowness (and encroaching vegation) towards the bottom that makes it annoying plus it is a FP and I’d hate to meet someone

Seen the llamas though 🙂

or are they more of the ‘nice to do a few on the way somewhere’ trails?

^this

jambalaya
    Free Member

^^ no. As XC loops (or night ride?) its worth something like Winterfold, Ponds Lane, Park Road, Albury, Water Lane, Newlands Corner, NDW, (storm drain fun), pick a descent eg, Shere/Gomshall cycle route 22 or railway crossing at Hackhurst Farm, Peaslake

jambalaya
    Free Member

The owners, with a young family, of the farm did a wonderful restoration job. Dad returns home via helicopter on a Friday evening. Different world.

nuke

Dare I say St Marthas is a nice area for a walk! 😯 …always liked strolling with the kids around St Marthas then heading south (down the chutey path) to the old gunpowder factory where you can mess in the stream

jambalaya
    Free Member

mess in the stream

😯

acidtest
    Free Member

That issue up there ^^^ Is the run in really slow or can just hop the lot with a bit of speed? That said the landing looks awkwardly narrow.

It’s not mega slow, maybe 10km/h as there some roots at the base of a tree to negotiate first. I walk my dogs up there a lot so I’ll get a video next time.

[video]https://youtu.be/yjWX5wUp7cs[/video]

acidtest
    Free Member

Just remembered I made this a couple of months ago. It’s one of the north descents with a few small jumps.

[video]https://youtu.be/ZKFzu-ZAzls[/video]

nuke

Amazing how the vid makes that look so flat!

😯

You never messed in rivers before Jamb? Its very exhilarating, especially if the water is cold 😉

acidtest
    Free Member

Amazing how the vid makes that look so flat!

yeah doesn’t do it justice at all, I wasn’t going the fast either as only done it a couple of times and there’s a few different turnings/options to remember.

Here’s another one of the downs link in the winter on my Specialized Epic with bonus crash at the end. There was a bramble at neck height so I dodged it and ended up in some different brambles 🙂 Again it looks pretty flat.

[video]https://youtu.be/-SgPXoBL4xY[/video]

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Makes no sense to make it all off limits to bikes especially with pretty wide bridleways through, and I do wonder if it’s even legal.

Anywhere a horse goes my bike can also go, is my attitude nowadays…

acidtest
    Free Member

I’ve only seen one no cycling sign at chantries but it’s not there anymore, it was by the camping entrance.

jambalaya
    Free Member

We used to enjoy the walking loop round through Colyers Hanger and try and keep the dog out of the lakes and river ! We used to climb that steep path back to St Marthas or easier Downs Link option.

There are no bridleways in the parts of the Chantries off limits to bikes. The bridelways go round the outside. There are “no bikes” carved into all the main wooden signs as far as I remember.

Anyway provided we are sensible about it there isn’t normally a problem

deadkenny
    Free Member

TurnerGuy – Member 
    Anywhere a horse goes my bike can also go, is my attitude nowadays…

That’s my rule, but generally anywhere horses go is a friggin nightmare to ride once they’ve churned the place up.

Especially around Farley Heath and Blackheath. I’m usually swearing about bloody horses by the time I’ve got through them. Not much to ride there really though nice area anyway. Couple of bits where I can link up a number of natural tracks into a nice flowy section.

Oh and bloody Chobham Common! 👿 . Not only a nightmare as horses go everywhere there but some of the bridleways are marked as horses yet, bikes no! I’m sure the no bike signs aren’t official. They look like ones the local horsey clubs have knocked up. Though no point riding them as they’re impossible to ride.

p.s. Llamas or Alpaca? 😀

Scamper
    Free Member

Nice and dry at the moment is Chobham, even the boggy bits. I always thought the `horses only’ signs were to actually keep them off other bridleways? Either way, I ignore them, partly as the signage is not always clear when you are riding along a bridleway or double track and you are somehow supposed to suddenly turn around. Having said that, they do appear to wonder off piste themselves but I’ve always found them really friendly as you’d expect. Since moving onto the edge of the Common in January what does amuse me is the sign pollution at every single access point. And the Doggers of course.

alextemper
    Free Member

Only thing Chobham Common is good for is mushrooms of the magic variety

acidtest
    Free Member

Only thing Chobham Common is good for is mushrooms of the magic variety

Interesting to know 🙂

acidtest
    Free Member

Was over at St Marthas with me dogs so here’s a vid of The Pipe DH. Boring video but if you’re going to ride it then might come in handy.

[video]https://youtu.be/sLPDgumK8f0[/video]

jambalaya
    Free Member

Niche 🙂

These are filmed up on Pitch I think, anyone know who the presenter is Surrey local ?

[video]https://youtu.be/Bn3PyBAay4U[/video]

[video]https://youtu.be/YtxkT5YltjM[/video]

acidtest
    Free Member

Not seen those before nice one. She’s got a London accent, definitely not Surrey.

danbo
    Free Member

The presenter is Anna Glowinski.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Interesting lady, didn’t know there was an ITV bike show

weeksy

Amazingly, depsite people going on about it, i went to Surrey Hills for the first time ever yesterday.

Must admit, it was an absolute blast, thoroughly enjoyed myself.

The trails are sort of ‘old school’ Swinley, which are not the structured and defined hard-packed terrain of Swinley, but the older trails that are cut out of the terrain and the roots/rocks and trees sort of blend into the trail to become features.

It was tough at times not having any idea where any of the trails go, because at times they’re a little tight and lacking in vision, so makes it hard to carry any speed as you have no idea where you’re going on them. You can say “follow the bloke in front”, which is often easier than you think, especially when Beancounter has upped his game massively from the bloke i rode with previously, he’s a far far better rider on the stuff than he was.

At times on a couple of the trails off Pitch Hill, i felt slightly under-biked, they’re steepish, rooty and techy.. .but i got down them and survived OK.

I was laughing lots at Beanie when we did Barry Knows Best as he was telling me about the braking bumps at the bottom… which to be honest i’m still trying to find.. He’s going to have his eyes opened to braking bumps when he gets over to the Alps, he’ll then learn the true definition of that… just has he comes into a massive cavernous hole where there should be a berm.

We bailed after only 2 and a bit hours as my knee was giving me a bit of pain, i seem to be struggling a little with it at the moment… not sure why…. But i certainly worked hard and had a lot of fun. !

Some of the trails have jumps in that are not massively hard, but the sort you’ll jump better 2nd time of asking as you get to know the trails, but some have good vision and you just launch yourself off as you’re carrying speed and land nicely on the other side.. Top top fun.

acidtest
    Free Member

Glad to hear you enjoyed it. There’s so many trails to explore when you have more time. Head over to Leith Hill for more awesome and varied trails.

jet26
    Free Member

Anyone riding Saturday 17th and room for a little ‘un?

Down for the weekend and fancy a ride but no idea route wise as live in Sheffield!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Weeksy glad you enjoyed it, we knew you would. I would guess aside from BKB / Yougurt Pots (or Golden Birdies and Parklife if you want to sound old school) everything you rode is unofficial / off-piste so will not feel like main Swinley trails.

Its always faster to ride a trail a second, third, fourth time. I usually suggest people ride BKB and YP a coupe of times on a first trip. Plenty of jumping to be found from little stuff to massive, usually the bigger stuff is quite well hidden.

Perhaps we can get a ride in mid/late Sep either SH (show you some other areas to explore) or Swinley

Finally and a little tounge in cheek you have more than enough bike 😉

jambalaya
    Free Member

@jet you could join a shop ride at Nirvana in Westcott – have a look and see if one of the rides appeals. I think Pedal and Spoke in Peaslake do rides too. What sort of standard are you ? I could email you a few pointers. Grand tour or sessioning trails, or a bit of both ? You can spend all day there with a lunch stop or smash out a 3hr loop.

jet26
    Free Member

Jamba- Cheers for the heads up.

The XC ride sounds ok depending on how rapid it is. I have been riding for years but am definitely more of a uppy downy XC rides type than some kind of freeride god!

3-4 hour ride be ideal or thereabouts as will ride with the Mrs in the afternoon which will be steadier.

cycl1ngjb
    Free Member

Nirvana Cycles in Westcott do a Saturday shop ride leaving at 10am – it’s intended to be ‘freeride’ – basically it’s jumps practice with a bit of trail riding. Usually gets back to the shop around 1 – 2pm. If you’re gonna show up make sure you’re on time as it normally departs promptly.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Will email you later a few GPX & descriptions as a min you can look at them on bike hike and load to your phone (viewranger app). You’ll need some sort of navigation skills or technology help.

Hicksy
    Free Member

Jet26 – I’m more than happy to show you about if you like – my email address is in my profile.

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

likewise jet26 email in profile

jet26
    Free Member

Cheers guys – have pinged you both a mail. James

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 80 total)

The topic ‘Surrey Hills’ is closed to new replies.